What is the excepted theory, to explain why light travels so fast.

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Are you discussing a theory of light which is accepted or something which js rejected, I.e., excepted from consideration, something which people take exception to?

"excepted. You use excepted after you have mentioned a person or thing to show that you do not include them in the statement you are making." Google

"
Synonyms for excepted
Merriam Webster

Just wondering . . . . . . . . .

Well, as Dr. Joe Pesce said, local violations of the entropy law is plausible whereas universal violations are not.
There are no violations of entropy. Thermodynamics treats both open and closed instances.
I'm suggesting that if time stops in a blackhole then in that closed system (adiabatic) entropy doesn't change either. The thread here uses relativity to point out how time passes at differing rates based on how things move or accelerate. I would expect Entropy rates to change in a proportional way. However, I must admit this is quickly getting beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: IG2007
There are no violations of entropy. Thermodynamics treats both open and closed instances.
I'm suggesting that if time stops in a blackhole then in that closed system (adiabatic) entropy doesn't change either. The thread here uses relativity to point out how time passes at differing rates based on how things move or accelerate. I would expect Entropy rates to change in a proportional way. However, I must admit this is quickly getting beyond my comprehension.
I'm a lot more ordered than the average of the rest of the universe, so wasn't entropy temporarily reversed during my formation?:)

Reactions: dfjchem721
I'm a lot more ordered than the average of the rest of the universe, so wasn't entropy temporarily reversed during my formation?:)

No, it is only a mirage (as you know).

Your "more ordered" structure comes at the expense of degraded energy, primarily from the cascade of high energy photons converted into glucose by the photosynthetic reaction center in plants, following the conversion of that glucose into "chemical energy" (e.g. ATP) which built your body. All of these processes are entropic, so humans and all life are a mirage of "anti-entropy."

Creationists use this false, anti-entropic argument against evolution (order from disorder). It is all a bunch of nonsense, of course.

No, it is only a mirage (as you know).

Your "more ordered" structure comes at the expense of degraded energy, primarily from the cascade of high energy photons converted into glucose by the photosynthetic reaction center in plants, following the conversion of that glucose into "chemical energy" (e.g. ATP) which built your body. All of these processes are entropic, so humans and all life are a mirage of "anti-entropy."

Creationists use this false, anti-entropic argument against evolution (order from disorder). It is all a bunch of nonsense, of course.
Whatever expense it came at, the end result is that I'm (temporarily) much more highly ordered than the rest of the universe. I eat dead plants and animals and turn them into highly ordered living functioning cells. I can even create order by taking a random pile of bricks and turning them into a house. My house is highly ordered the earth is highly ordered. I live in a highly ordered environment on a highly ordered planet.

Another example of concentrating order is that our sun and solar system came from the thinly dispersed order of the gas cloud which formed our solar system.

I don't think entropy has to be the same all over, there are pockets of high and low entropy throughout. As long as the average entropy is increasing, I don't see a problem.
(order from disorder)
I like the notion from quantum mechanics that says information can't be created or destroyed. However, I think information needs humans, ie to inform. So' I like to think of information as order, as that exists without humans. I will then say that order can't be created or destroyed. In this case, I don't think there's disorder, I like to think of it as order which is still order but just more dilute. In other words, instead of 'order and disorder', I like - 'concentrated order and dilute order'.

Building on the idea that order can't be created or destroyed, I suggest the order to make me was previously already in the gas cloud, ie in the arrangement and movement of the atoms in the said gas cloud, only that it was much more dilute order then.

The gravitational collapse of the gas cloud concentrated its order and energy (lowering its entropy) and brought things close enough to form ordered higher energy structures. So the gas cloud was not as disordered as appears, it was just dilute order still containing all the order necessary to form me and the solar system. Had the gas molecules in the cloud been organised in a different way, then the outcome would also have been different.

This brings me to my final conclusion;

Gravitational collapse = decreasing entropy. Expansion against gravity = increasing entropy.

I'm sure that must be somebody else's theory :)

If you believe in a cyclic universe, the same applies. There must have been a gravitation collapse to fit everything into the contents for our big bang. This would explain why the big bang started off with such a low entropy.:)

Reactions: dfjchem721
If you believe in a cyclic universe, the same applies. There must have been a gravitation collapse to fit everything into the contents for our big bang. This would explain why the big bang started off with such a low entropy.

Proton decay, black hole evaporation, etc. and general decline in all things baryonic etc. to longer and longer ER etc. is the apparent view for a one-way trip for the universe. It is hard to jump in on any one theory of it all since how could one possibly know which is right? In the end, it doesn't really matter, even if you accept a cycling universe. It is not like reincarnation. Cat wants to call it a "Continuous Universe", which would incorporate all theories. He may have the "theory of everything" right there!! If you are reading this Cat, I get half of the royalties.

But in the end, the true scientist in most of us has to accept those pesky laws of thermodynamics, and that entropy rules on larger and larger scales and time frames, until it doesn't. That is likely many, many trillions of years into the future (if ever).

Entropy must apply even in the quantum realm since many or all of those particles participate in the ultimate demise of higher matter like protons and neutrons, etc.. They are the tools by which thermodynamics does its job. And all that dark matter has to degrade, whatever it is, it all seems to be ending up as ER, or gravitational waves, etc., stretching out into the vast distance of universal continuity.

Latest posts