What to do with the Shuttles (Post Retirement)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Re: What to do with the Shuttle

Polishguy":3adujf9p said:
MeteorWayne":3adujf9p said:
That's a great idea. A post mortem would likely be extremely valuable for future designs.

I'm sorry, I can't tell whether that's sarcastic or not.

I was quite serious! MW

P

Polishguy

MeteorWayne":2a1tjg7e said:
Polishguy":2a1tjg7e said:
MeteorWayne":2a1tjg7e said:
That's a great idea. A post mortem would likely be extremely valuable for future designs.

I'm sorry, I can't tell whether that's sarcastic or not.

I was quite serious! MW

Alright, good.

But I still think we could at least rip the engines off from the shuttle. There has to be something we can do with them! And there's no point leaving rocket motors in a museum (unless they are utterly obsolete, and SSME's aren't yet).

M

MeteorWayne

Actually, that's a possibilty, I imagine. They are removed and repaired after many (all?) missions, so are designed to be swapped out, and might be able to be adapted elsewhere. Shuttle_guy would know more about that than I. Could try a search on SSME (Space Shuttle Main Engines), maybe that will yield more details.

P

Polishguy

MeteorWayne":26tywlus said:
Actually, that's a possibilty, I imagine. They are removed and repaired after many (all?) missions, so are designed to be swapped out, and might be able to be adapted elsewhere. Shuttle_guy would know more about that than I. Could try a search on SSME (Space Shuttle Main Engines), maybe that will yield more details.

Yeah, they're refurbished after every mission. So, if we take our 9 motors (3 from each Orbiter) and use two on each booster (some designs call for 2 engines on a Shuttle-C, others for 3), then we can equip 3 heavy lift boosters and have an engine left over for display.

Possible displaying of Space Shuttle orbiters post STS??

Article here as to what may happen to Discovery, Atlantis & Endeavour as well as the prototype Enterprise, after STS 134 Endeavour returns from the final space shuttle mission.

Article Here.

At least they will be treated with dignity & put on display for everyone to see.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Possible displaying of Space Shuttle orbiters post STS??

There's a thread on the in Space Business and Technology. I'll merge it.

MW

Sorry Wayne, I did not see that.

Andrew.

M

MeteorWayne

NP, you've been busy lately :)

E

EarthlingX

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com : Completed SD HLV assessment highlights low-cost post-shuttle solution
June 18th, 2010
by Chris Bergin

15065_single.jpg

The Shuttle Derived Heavy-Lift Launch Vehicle (SD HLV) Assessment has been completed, the result of applying years of historical expertise from members of the Space Shuttle Program (SSP) and others into a follow-on vehicle. The focused effort over 15 months to create a post-shuttle masterplan has fostered HLV options that could be completed to a Block II Full Operational Capability for around $7.8 billion.

The documented effort on the SD HLV was completed this month, resulting in an impressive – and highly extensive – 726 page presentation, which was acquired by L2.

“This document describes the pre-Phase A concept definition, studies, and analysis results generated by the Space Shuttle Program on various Shuttle-derived Heavy-lift Launch Vehicle (HLV) concepts over a 15-month timeframe from December, 2008 through February, 2010,” noted Mr Shannon in the foreword of the presentation, dated June 8.”

“Shuttle derived is the dominating factor that sets these studies apart from other similar assessments. This objective was to maximize the use of existing Space Shuttle skills and assets for developing and operating the HLV. This includes using the flight hardware, the flight software, the facilities, the processes and the skilled contractor and civil servant personnel that have been used successfully on the Space Shuttle,” noted the Executive Summary.

R

RVHM

Too expensive, in-line would be better. They favored side-mount because they designed it in-house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts