What's the best scifi tv series of all time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
What! No mention of The X-Files? (I may have missed a brief reference, but didn't see any on a second quick scan-through.) The X-Files took the main themes that run throughout the non-fiction UFO/UAP lexicon and saturated its storylines with the tension the concept brings to a real-world setting we all live in and some of us wonder deeply about. And some of us have seen and experienced. I think it's all part of a preparation we are receiving subtly at the behest of the government.

Reactions: Catastrophe
I saw Star Trek TOS in first run, but my favorite is TNG. What got me hooked on sci-fi was the “Attack of the Flying Saucers”, “Forbidden Planet”, and “Journey to the Seventh Planet”. Saw the last one first run at a drive-in theater.

Reactions: Wolfshadw
Zombies are crap. Fantasy, not Sci Fi.
Still, although I agree, for a TV series you gotta admit TWD did make a lot of money for a long time. It's popularity is starting to wear thin though. I call it the Zombie soap opera. As far as the movies, WWZ brought in a lot of money also. It was nominated
for the best special effects and they called it Sci-Fi Fantasy. So, what would they call Sci-Fi Space? Just Sci-Fi? Thats how
most people relate to it..

Last edited:

COLGeek

Still, although I agree, for a TV series you gotta admit TWD did make a lot of money for a long time. It's popularity is starting to wear thin though. I call it the Zombie soap opera. As far as the movies, WWZ brought in a lot of money also.
The zombie apocalypse does sell. TWD and the two spin-offs definitely have followings.

Then there is the pile o' movies within the "genre". Fun for a bit, but they do tend to lose their novelty.

The zombie apocalypse does sell. TWD and the two spin-offs definitely have followings.

Then there is the pile o' movies within the "genre". Fun for a bit, but they do tend to lose their novelty.

COLGeek, personally I always saw it as being in the Horror genre. But that wasn't what Hollywood put it in.

COLGeek

COLGeek, personally I always saw it as being in the Horror genre. But that wasn't what Hollywood put it in.
I tend to agree. A bit of psuedo-science seems to be at the basis for many of these. Certainly requires viewers to suspend reality a bit.

Other than some of the old B-movies. My first recalled zombie encounters were playing D&D as a teenager.

Now they have " Fear the Walking Dead" I watched it a couple of times, It has an old West type of tone to it. They saddle up and go after the bad guys. You hardly ever see any zombies, just the good guys and the bad guys. They did witness a very large piece of Space junk reentering the atmosphere, and crash in a forest causeing a fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: COLGeek
Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I was, a trekkie, from way back, kinda liked UFO,
then was Space 1999, BSG(orig), Buck Rogers in the 25th century. And a short span, The Incredible Hulk,
Did anyone else remember a shortlived series on Tv
Salvage 1? Saturday mornings was the Ark 1, just a few. But still like TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Dr Who

I remember the very first episode (about 1962-3). The Tardis was said to change its appearance to suit its surroundings, but it never did. Unless, of course, telephone boxes are the same worldwide. And, mobile phones never got invented.

Cat :)

From what I’ve seen on TV and movies, yours were wood and painted red. I imagine similar throughout the Empire. Ours, in the 1940s inside were wood and varnished natural, but, later outside ones were aluminum with mostly windows. Later, just aluminum panel on a wall or post. Always included a thick phone book with the page I needed ripped out.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Our red paint surrounded a lot of glass - panes about 8* by 6" - so it was like a rectangular sided goldfish bowl. Security, I suppose. Otherwise the same. I don't know if it was only in London, but there were four thick directories; complete with torn pages.

Cat :)

Reactions: Clovis
Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Battlestar Galactica

Everything here - drama, science fiction, mysticism, and religion, surprisingly organically merged into this magnificent series, or maybe a multi-part film. And although the shortcomings of the genre, in the form of two or three 'extra' episodes, or a partial lack of scenery in some moments make themselves felt, on the whole, the story captures extraordinarily. Looks in one breath - I watched 3 seasons in 4 days without stopping! The cast is great, but the script is even better. Some of the plot finds are simply striking in their originality and beauty. The number of jambs, in comparison with the overwhelming majority of fantasy series, is minimal, there is practically no tension and artificiality.

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Got to say techman 1, you summed it up perfectly,
The original BSG ,was the best of it's time.
I really liked, the episode, where all the viper pilots
we're affected by some sickness and all the females
Had to turn fighter pilots, it was a good show. It also allows the female characters to come forward, other than just background. Just a perspective (guy).
The original showed, like you said, a whole aspect
and the other episode was they found the Pegasus
Battlestar great 2 part. Show

Only seen one episode but JQ seems top 10. Sliders is stuck near LA. The cast is good, introspective like a good sci-fi story. Do you want your old girl before you were a better person or not? Who will be brave when it comes down to it? The final episode reveals it without the spaghetti. Their dinos didn't have foliage to eat. I would assume the funders are 40 IQ pts behind Continuum just to shoot there.
Continuum is #10. You need lead bearings or casings to plunk sensors in a radioactive environment, just one hard engineering detail. It is perhaps the best ethnic actor; of course he won't be murdered.
TNG is #3. I need to be Riker now. I don't get the card game at the end. Is it a metaphor for regular sex? Pairing up physical relationships more closely than with non-high-crew members? Casual sex on holidays? The psychology of duty is there, but not realistic day-to-day living. If you recognize intelligence you might live is the 1st episode. Cause and Effect is like TOL's final episode, only so many iterations and memory might be there. Q Who is an alternative to humanity. Masks is proof of a higher power.

Outer Limits 90's-2000 is #1. The cast is best (post-SkyLab). When R.Philippe and friend try to prevent a tyranny it is scary, to my hometown media even. The Light Brigade screams for better sensor R+D. Final Exam is why market forces don't matter soon. Music of the Spheres separates who. The genetic and AI episodes are very strong.

Voyager #2. The first season is clearly latently strong writing. Have females in space is needed to keep men sane long duration. The Torres robot episode shocked me cable was worth it. Year of Hell was our best Covid warning. Elogium is scary.
I assume Picard is somewhere in between #4-#9 at present. Q and Picard give intelligence as does Data. Voyager added Torres and Seven both smarter than Janeway. Women aren't as smart as men but it is even harder to convince them to come into space so maybe only Manhattan is a better series to me, as space should be 2/3 women, maybe none makes the top 10 C-of-C.

Last edited:

Latest posts