Which magazine is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2844az

I was wondering if the “Astronomy magazine†was better than the “Sky and Telescope†magazine. In the early 90’s I use to get the Astronomy magazine. I don’t know anything about the Sky and Telescope. It looks very good. I noticed on Astronomy.com that if you subscribe to their magazine you have access to more of their information programs. What do say ye? Or is there a better magazine? Gary

T

thalion

Hmm...I've always seen them as somewhat complimentary, with "Astronomy" catering toward beginners, and "Sky & Telescope" aiming at the more advanced crowd; I myself started out with a subscription to the former. I really do like them both.<br /><br />However, I must agree with Crazyeddie's take on the magazine's overall sophistication (mediocre), and especially its product trials (I also take them with a grain of salt).<br /><br />Verdict: I have to tip the balance towards S&T.

A

alokmohan

I subsribed to astronomy magazines mail letter.Whenever I click a web it is not in internet.Very sad of state.Do you get the web?

M

MeteorWayne

I subscribe to both, so I can anticipate the public's questions, but agree with the assesments here.<br /><br />S&T is the better magazine, Astronomy written more for the beginner level.<br />However, for that audience, it's a good starting place.<br /><br />Astronomy's new website is a pain to navigate, I'm unimpressed and find it annoying to use. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

S&T has published all but one photo I've sent them on their website - so they'd get my nod either way. But I concur with the rest of the opinions expressed anyway. Definitely S&T is the magazine you'll grow with. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

V

vogon13

I subscribe to both and think they compliment each other nicely.<br /><br />I subscribe to many home theater, TV, electronics, etc magazines, and even there I find little overlap.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

A

alokmohan

The newsletter is useless.I am thinking of cancelling it.I name one good magazine not for astronomy but general reading.Skeptical Inquirer.Have you any views?

M

MeteorWayne

It;s not really related to Astronomy, which is what the poster was asking about. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Here's an excellent example of the difference between the two magazines.<br /><br />For a week or so I've been talking in the 2007 TU24 thread about the fact it will be visible in small scopes and large binoculars, moving rapidly among the stars.<br /><br />Sky and Telescope has it as a highlight on the front page of their website, Astronomy has not a word about it.<br /><br />MW <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

And if I can get a shot of it, I figure there's a 99% chance that S&T will cheerfully publish my photograph on their site, whereas Astronomy won't even accept it.<br /><br />Spaceweather is iffy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Sky and tesope is really dependable.But dont forget newsientist.com

M

MeteorWayne

New Scientist is not an astronomy magazine.<br /><br />In fact, it's barely a science magazine, IMHO <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

I agree MeteorWayne. New Scientist has definately gone down the pan, a platform<br />for advertising more than anything else now. They do publish the odd good article for sure,<br />but they are fewer & further between these days.<br /><br />I get both Astronomy & Sky & Telescope (also Astronomy Now, a <br />British astronomy magazine & Spaceflight).<br /><br />My verdict is pretty much the same as the others here. Sky & Telescope is a better <br />observers magazine, also with some brilliant articles. Astronomy, less of an observers <br />magazine, but does write brilliant articles. I think both are very good, but for very <br />different reasons.<br /><br />I cannot do much observing as I live near the centre of a very large British town & I cannot drive<br />due to my medical conditions, so lugging equipment around is not easy.<br /><br />I did join a local Astronomy club here in Ashford, but many members insisted on<br />the Apollo Hoax being true, beleive RCH, etc & I left after an enormous huge row.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts