which planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ehs40

which planet should a probe be sent to first uranus or neptune? and why

B

bad_drawing

I would vote for Neptune. It seems very dynamic and interesting despite its distance from the sun (and is more photogenic then Uranus too) Plus Triton has to be one of the most fascinating bodies in the solar system and warrants more study. But I wouldn't feel bad if a probe went to Uranus first. That system obviously experienced such a massive cataclysm that you know you'd get some great science from an orbiter. Plus I bet some close-ups of Miranda would be wild. Still, I would vote for Neptune.

L

le3119

I vote for Neptune. Its magnetosphere is inclined at an angle against its north-south axis, unlike any other planet.

V

vogon13

Orbit shaping at Neptune easier because of large mass of Triton. Cassini is using Titan for this purpose at Saturn.<br /><br />Haven't done the math, but there probably is a 'slow boat' way at Uranus using Titania and/or Oberon, but spacecraft longevity concerns exist.<br /><br />Retrograde orbit of Triton probably a challenge, but those trajectory guys love a challenge.<br /><br />Another orbit shaping technique that would work at either planet would be to put craft in a very elliptical orbit that just grazes the planets atmosphere. This would allow the apogee of the craft to slowly drop every orbit. Eventually you get to see everything in the system, but you also take the risk of frying the craft, or smacking some debris close in to the planet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

T

thalion

That's a tough choice. <br /><br />If distance were not an issue, I'd pick Neptune first, for four reasons:<br /><br />1.) Triton's gravity would make orbital maneuvers easy, while Uranus has no massive moons.<br /><br />2.) Triton is a fascinating moon in its own right, with cryovolcanism, a substantial atmosphere, and an otherwise active dynamic. <br /><br />3.) Neptune's ring arcs are a great mystery, that I think that only a dedicated orbiter will be able to solve.<br /><br />4.) Neptune seems to have a much more vigorous atmosphere than Uranus.<br /><br />However, Uranus has its pluses, too:<br /><br />1.) How it got its axial tilt is another one of the Solar System's great mysteries.<br /><br />2.) Though Uranus has no large moons, the five largest each have a distinct geology, something that could tell us a lot about comparative planetology.<br /><br />3.) It would be fascinating to study the effects--if any--that Uranus's long seasons have on its atmospheric circulation.<br /><br />4.) Its axial inclination would present a number of difficulties for a mission, but it would also expose previously unseen parts of the system to view, over much shorter periods than would be the case at Neptune.

N

no_way

Neptune and for only one reason: Triton could potentially be relatively habitable.

V

vogon13

Surface is ~ -400 F. Can't be too much warmer inside or surface would melt/vaporize. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.