Which telescope should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TolianSoran

Hello,

I am looking to buy a telescope capable of great photography and tracking. Hopefully, something with a 6" aperature. I would like to photograph deep space and planetary objects and most importantly ISS with tracking.

I was thinking of the Meade Apo Refractor, but I wasn't sure the gearing would allow for precise tracking. Not to mention if this telescope can handle deep space objects to a certain degree. I realize a Dob. would be the best choice for deep space, but I need something that is more manageable.

Any help appreciated.

S

Saiph

In general I recommend against jumping in straight to astrophotography, as it's a very demanding aspect of the hobby, and requires a decent handle on the basics. That, and to do it right is expensive!

I recommend starting with a smaller, simpler scope in the $200 range, getting familiar with what makes a good scope, good eyepiece, good viewing, etc, then branching out to astrophotography. Why? Because a telescope capable of decent pictures, and the camera, and the rest of it is easily far more expensive, and a waste if you have problems just finding a deep sky object, and knowing what to do with a scope to see it well with your own eye.

C

crazyeddie

TolianSoran":1c9399sx said:
Hello,

I am looking to buy a telescope capable of great photography and tracking. Hopefully, something with a 6" aperature. I would like to photograph deep space and planetary objects and most importantly ISS with tracking.

I was thinking of the Meade Apo Refractor, but I wasn't sure the gearing would allow for precise tracking. Not to mention if this telescope can handle deep space objects to a certain degree. I realize a Dob. would be the best choice for deep space, but I need something that is more manageable.

Any help appreciated.

I would visit this list of articles available for viewing on Cloudynights.com:

http://www.cloudynights.com/category.ph ... id=85&pr=3

Astrophotography is a huge topic, and the results you can expect to get range from simple snapshots of the moon and night sky (objects for beginners with limited equipment) to stunning, deep-sky images suitable for submission to astronomy magazines (something that requires experience, time, and lots of money for expensive equipment). Don't expect to get the latter right away.....it takes years of practice. I'd forget about buying a telescope this early in the game and concentrate on learning the basics.

T

TolianSoran

Thank you for the information.

Although I am a beginner, I am not new to astronomy. I have owned a Orion XT 10" for years now. My attempt to look for another telescope is to get something more automated. The XT 10 has been a blasted, it is actually signed by John Dobson. A local group I belong to went to the Grand Canyon Star Party back in 2001. John Dobson is a character to say the least.

Thanks

C

crazyeddie

TolianSoran":2e1dr7vd said:
Thank you for the information.

Although I am a beginner, I am not new to astronomy. I have owned a Orion XT 10" for years now. My attempt to look for another telescope is to get something more automated. The XT 10 has been a blasted, it is actually signed by John Dobson. A local group I belong to went to the Grand Canyon Star Party back in 2001. John Dobson is a character to say the least.

Thanks

Yes, I've actually met John Dobson on two occasions, he's a crusty old fellow!

Since you're not a beginner, the only other advice I can give you (and be aware, I don't do astrophotograpy myself), is that the one thing successful astro photographers seem to agree on is it's essential to have a good, solid mount....the heavier and sturdier, the better. Fortunately, such mounts are becoming more affordable. You might want to consider this setup from Orion:

http://www.telescope.com/control/produc ... t_id=24767

T

TolianSoran

Going into this I knew I would need to find a heavy mount. If I had the money, I would probably look at a Losmandy G8 or G11. I think for now, I will probably focus on a good refractor, such as a Meade LXD75 AR-6AT.

Any suggestions on a good refractor for $1200?

C

crazyeddie

TolianSoran":3txlvof8 said:
Going into this I knew I would need to find a heavy mount. If I had the money, I would probably look at a Losmandy G8 or G11. I think for now, I will probably focus on a good refractor, such as a Meade LXD75 AR-6AT.

Any suggestions on a good refractor for $1200?

Are you looking for a refractor tube assembly only for $1200, or the entire package, including mount? There are many good 100mm ED or triplet refractors on the market now for about that amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts