why no verticle orbits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyrostir

why arnt there any systems with verticle orbits<br /><br />like this

K

kmarinas86

Like when two skaters pull closer together, they start spinning faster. The same thing happens with clouds of dust, which form planetary disks due to orbiting, as they pull tighter together they begin to spin faster and faster. You may have heard of the Oort Cloud. Notice how the Oort cloud is not a ring but a spherical region of comets and pieces of dust and rock. They are further out so they are more prone to vertical orbits.<br /><br />The Oort Cloud can be compared to elliptical galaxies in that if you slow down comets (or stars for that matter), they will gravitate closer which causes greater orbiting. This orbiting, if great enough, will form a disk like the protoplanetary disk of new star systems or the disks of spirals.

V

vogon13

Perhaps Ulysses mission is in high inclination orbit. Helios (German solar probes, launched in the 70s, were pretty close to ecliptic.<br /><br />Only natural system I can think of with orbital characteristic shown in diagram is a polar ring galaxy. IIRC, Sagan thinks that orientation is probably stable for longish periods. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

T

tony873004

Although low-Earth orbits for satellites are fine. But the Kozai Mechanisn will prohibit most cases of moons in polar orbit around planets, and planets in polar orbits around stars.

V

vogon13

Is Kozai Mechanism a gravitational effect, or, what I have referred to as 'collapse to the Laplacian plane' in another thread? In the 'collapse' process, gravitational perturbations precess inclined orbits and collisions 'mechanically' (for lack of a better term) resort objects into the equatorial plane. Have heard long ago of a mysterious (to me!) effect that rules out a sizeable undiscovered planet of our solar system outside of the plane of the ecliptic, maybe Kozai is official name for that? It would be nice to have my recollection refreshed on this. <br /><br />thanx! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

T

tony873004

Kozai is the mechanism that rules out a large planet in a highly inclined orbit far from the Sun.<br /><br />But it doesn't force anything to the Laplacian plane. It is a periodic effect, so anything forced to the Laplacian plane will be forced back to where it came from. This will repeat over and over again.

F

franson_space

Interesting question I've been wondering about, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS