Will we be able to see the LRO impact from Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RonMaverick

First I know there are two probes, one will penetrate the Moon and the second will analyze then later also dive into the surface. Will people be able to see this using (powerful, yet commercial) backyard telescopes?

Will we be able to see it without the need of NASA or their equipment? I recall seeing Sunspots at a local astronomy event using a telescope so being able to see a Lunar impact should be possible right? I don't expect it to look like something from the movies or anything but I would imagine it would be pretty spectacular.

All of course with weather & schedule permitting.

M

MeteorWayne

The further west in the US you are, the better your chances of seeing it. Something in the range of a 10" or greater scope might be needed, though that is somewhat speculative.

The impact will occur around 7:30 AM EDT On October 9th. After sunrise in the eastern US :( That's 4:30 AM PDT. So the further west you are, the darker it will be. In California, the sky will be dark except for the ~ 50% lit moon in Gemini.

A

aphh

Miniscule and theoretical chance might exist, but I believe it will be just like when SMART-1 crashed to the surface of the Moon. The location was selected to be favorable, and ESA called for all amateur astronomers to try to spot the impact, but only a few big telescopes trained to just the correct location got a glimpse of it.

M

MeteorWayne

It is designed to be seen best from Hawaii and the US West coast.

HAwaii is the primary site.

D

drwayne

Hmmm, wonder if I could have talked corporate into a business trip????

;)

M

MeteorWayne

You still have time, it's over 3 months away(ne). I'm sure in today's financial environment they'll be able to justify a few days in Hawaii :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts