X-37B/Atlas V Launch Apr 22

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

Re: X-37B/Atlas V Wet Countdown Test

RVHM":41n9bkjf said:
The X-37B is yet another reason to keep the SSME manufacturing facilities going.

Sorry to disappoint, but the X-37B actually has no connection to SSMEs. It can't save that effort and knowledge, alas. X-37B rides to space aboard a commercial EELV; it is flying on Atlas V today, but in theory could fly on Delta IV or even a foreign rocket (not that USAF would be likely to select a foreign provider).

C

CalliArcale

Re: X-37B/Atlas V Wet Countdown Test

js117":1y1c83th said:
Yes this is the real thing 7:52PM - 8:05PM EDT launch time.

*bouncybouncy*

I'm so excited!!! I've got the ULA feed up now, and am thrilled. It will be good to see X-37 go at last.

J

js117

Re: X-37B/Atlas V Scheduled launch Apr 22

count down has started

C

CalliArcale

Had to take a break there for dinner and putting kids to bed, but I did get to see it fly. Very satisfying feeling, seeing that thing go at long last.

It will be neat to see it come back again! I hope the USAF televises the return.

T

Testing

ULA screwed me, constant reconnect. Who has the replay?

Z

ZiraldoAerospace

Does anyone have a video of the launch? Were there any problems? I can't find any info about it. :evil:

E

EarthlingX

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCpuv9RCwE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqfkyb_HNE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlneylc7rKc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGuy_rZGrzE[/youtube]

and more on YouTube

M

MarkStanaway

You can see the shrouds fly off at about the 4 minute mark in that middle video.
Hard to tell if the sound is wind or the actual launch.
Great shots!
Mark

G

Gravity_Ray

Listen to Robert Bowman and tell me I am wrong!

A rail gun with a GPS aiming mechanism can drop a steel pellet and from orbit when that monition hits "anything" it will vaporize it with simple kinetic energy. That will include; missiles, planes, ships, tanks, military installations, and oh yes people.

He also said something very important. The ban in space is not on 'weapons' its on 'weapons of mass destruction'. A steal pellet is not a weapon of mass destruction.

Why else would you need a weapons platform err I mean the X37B that can stay up in space in a steady as a rock LEO orbit for several months? Even if an enemy manages to get close to the X37B (and they cant), and destroy it, no US military personal is in jeopardy, you will only destroy a drone.

Say hello to my little friend! Ka Pow!

E

EarthlingX

X-37B is currently as much a weapon as a Humwee. You can't blame USAF to not show everything, they have to hide something, they are military ;)

If i understand correctly, this is evaluation flight, they will see if they like it, how much it costs, how much trouble it is and such. They might not even launch in 2011.

You are right about the weapons ban, that's what he said.

If you want to find a hole in the law, there will probably be one - or you break it, and then play stupid - if you are a country. Nothing new.

A

aphh

Is there any word on the orbital parameters, so we could perhaps try to catch a glimpse of this secretive bird?

J

js117

aphh":b5lv85bq said:
Is there any word on the orbital parameters, so we could perhaps try to catch a glimpse of this secretive bird?

THey will never tell you that!!!!!!! Then people will figure out what it is doing up there with telescopes.

Z

Zipi

js117":2qlutbi1 said:
aphh":2qlutbi1 said:

THey will never tell you that!!!!!!! Then people will figure out what it is doing up there with telescopes.

Just wait a day or two.... It will appear to Heavens Above web site like all other: http://www.heavens-above.com/

A

ahook12

I have question; Does anyone know if the X37 uses the same heat shield technology as the Shuttle or some new technology?

C

CalliArcale

It's basically the same technology, but somewhat more advanced based on what was learned with the Space Shuttle.

T

tanstaafl76

I assume the heat shield is more of a low maintenance one-piece affair given the short projected turn-around time between launches.

J

js117

CalliArcale":1ahjgicc said:
It's basically the same technology, but somewhat more advanced based on what was learned with the Space Shuttle.

information on thermal protection tiles

Most of the thermal protection tiles were 'fake', made of inexpensive foam rather than ceramic; a smaller number of the X-37's tiles were actual TPS tiles, and TPS blankets were used in areas where heating would not have been severe enough to require tiles.

It could also use a form of Aerobraking.

If this is any help.

M

MeteorWayne

I guess my question is was this a suborbital or orbital launch? With all the secrecy, I have no idea!!

E

EarthlingX

This is another speculation, since i don't remember where i read this - i guess in one of the above articles :
- they were talking about 270 day or something stay in the orbit - if this would mean an orbital launch .. ?

Z

Zipi

MeteorWayne":2wzu9rog said:
I guess my question is was this a suborbital or orbital launch? With all the secrecy, I have no idea!!

I'm personally 100% sure that this is orbital flight. But please notice that this is not fact, only speculation.

It is such small craft that sub orbital flight would mean it has to land somewhere on europe or splash down on water and forgotten ever since. Of course it is all about the weight of X-37B can it manage to the orbit with Atlas 501, but I personally have no noubts about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts