X-37B/Atlas V Launch Apr 22

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trailrider

ISS hasn't gotten any requests for an "emergency" rendezvous and docking by an unknown manned spacecraft, have they? Of course, since the ISS is a civilian effort, there wouldn't be an excuse for a "no-notice Operational Readiness Inspection", would there? (Some of you former or current "blue suiters" out there know what it means when a "strange" aircraft appears in the base's traffic pattern, declaring an "emergency". The plane lands, is faced by the base's guards, and a colonel or even a general steps out and announces, "This is a No-notice ORI! Take me to your command post!" :eek: :shock: After which nobody gets much sleep for the next 24-36 hrs! And SAC Wing Commanders were known to keel over with heart attacks after the results were posted!) I mean, what if that X=37B were actually carrying an inspection team... :roll: Oh, well...

J

js117

trailrider":2w70tc3t said:
ISS hasn't gotten any requests for an "emergency" rendezvous and docking by an unknown manned spacecraft, have they? Of course, since the ISS is a civilian effort, there wouldn't be an excuse for a "no-notice Operational Readiness Inspection", would there? (Some of you former or current "blue suiters" out there know what it means when a "strange" aircraft appears in the base's traffic pattern, declaring an "emergency". The plane lands, is faced by the base's guards, and a colonel or even a general steps out and announces, "This is a No-notice ORI! Take me to your command post!" :eek: :shock: After which nobody gets much sleep for the next 24-36 hrs! And SAC Wing Commanders were known to keel over with heart attacks after the results were posted!) I mean, what if that X=37B were actually carrying an inspection team... :roll: Oh, well...

I don't think they would have X-37B dock with ISS because it is a top secret project run by the Air Force.
The Russian's would die to get a look at it I supect.
By the way ISS is run by the US government ( NASA ) not Civilian.

B

bdewoody

js117":17fxs2bm said:
trailrider":17fxs2bm said:

I don't think they would have X-37B dock with ISS because it is a top secret project run by the Air Force.
The Russian's would die to get a look at it I supect.
By the way ISS is run by the US government ( NASA ) not Civilian.
Since the X-37 started life as a Nasa project I have a feeling that the Russians know as much about it as anyone. Maybe someone in the air force saw some potential in the vehicle and found a way to rescue it from oblivion.

T

trailrider

Aw, the Russians probably got as much as they need by reading Aviation Week. If not from previous issues, there will probably be complete details in the next issue! ;)

S

stevekk

OK, I'll bite. Why can't you get quick turnaround with the current launch systems ?

If the heat shield performs well, and there is only minor micro-meteriod damage to repair in the X-37 itself, why not ? Fix any minor damage, inspect the solar arrays and batteries. Upload a new mission to the flight computers, and it's ready to go.

This assumes you have re-ordered a fleet of Delta or Altas rockets that are just waiting for the vehicle to be mounted inside the fairing, but no big deal right ? The most difficult part might be getting the vehicle on the correct coast for the next launch. It's small enough, it might fit inside a one of the Air-Force's standard cargo planes. It definately weighs less than a tank, so it could be in Florida only a couple of days after landing. None of that funky attachment to the top of a 747.

B

bdewoody

Is no one posting any information about the status of the X-37B's flight? Is it still in orbit and if it is how long to they plan on keeping it in space? I know it's a military mission but it seems that minimal information like that would not be a breech of security.

J

job1207

stevekk":bj9w8t3n said:
OK, I'll bite. Why can't you get quick turnaround with the current launch systems ?

If the heat shield performs well, and there is only minor micro-meteriod damage to repair in the X-37 itself, why not ? Fix any minor damage, inspect the solar arrays and batteries. Upload a new mission to the flight computers, and it's ready to go.

This assumes you have re-ordered a fleet of Delta or Altas rockets that are just waiting for the vehicle to be mounted inside the fairing, but no big deal right ? The most difficult part might be getting the vehicle on the correct coast for the next launch. It's small enough, it might fit inside a one of the Air-Force's standard cargo planes. It definately weighs less than a tank, so it could be in Florida only a couple of days after landing. None of that funky attachment to the top of a 747.

If you were writing in 1980 you would be taken seriously. Unfortunately, it turned out that the turn around for these vehicles is cost prohibitive. Unless you are DOD. I would bet they keep a couple around for Generals to basically got off on. No one can afford enough of these to really make a difference. Now, you can certainly interrupt key facilities and what not.

I would keep in mind that the original X37B was a test bed for a LARGER vehicle, the STS successor.

Here is the ULA link to the launch....

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/pages/News.shtml#/48

I think that it is important to note that this vehicle was originally going to sit unshrouded on top of a Delta rocket. Aerodynamic concerns nixed that idea. So, if you actually going to put an STS on top of a rocket, the same concerns may also come up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-3 ... st_Vehicle

Oh yes, Wiki says that a SECOND vehicle is scheduled to take a test flight in 2011. IF you are counting, that makes a FLEET of TWO. Interesting. I always expected the Air Force to turn up with a fleet of re usable vehicles. Now they will get to play with at least two of them.

S

stevekk

I would say that the quick turnaround is one of the key technologies that the Air Force wants to be able to test with this vehicle. You say it's cost prohibitive. What is this particular vehicle was designed for quick turn-arounds ?

Yes, you can't just say I want an Altas 501 rocket, and it gets delivered tommorrow by Fedex. That's why the procurement guys purchase these rockets well in advance of the actual launch date. If you plan for 4 launches per year, then you buy 4 launchers. The Airforce does need to purchase things in volume, with a set delivery schedule, just so that can negoitate a decent price with their subscribers. I'm sure they didn't launch an entire network of GPS satelittes without some advance planning and scheduling.

The Airforce can probably reserve a few spots in the launch manifest also.

J

job1207

read all about the STS and then get back to me, seriously dude.

L

lampblack

shuttle_guy":1ihswmc5 said:
This was a test launch however note that the 9 min launch window indicates that they had a rendezvous target.

One supposes the obvious question would be: what objects, if any, were flying overhead at KSC at the time of the X-37B launch? If there is a known object with an orbital plane that matches up, it oughtta be a clue for the guys and gals who're trying to locate the mini-shuttle.

H

High_Evolutionary

Could it also have disappeared by design? If there is a secretive(small) payload aboard her maybe just maybe she went missing on purpose. This is just speculation on my part, but is it not out of the realm of possibility? ;)

J

js117

bdewoody":3qkkde5d said:
Is no one posting any information about the status of the X-37B's flight? Is it still in orbit and if it is how long to they plan on keeping it in space? I know it's a military mission but it seems that minimal information like that would not be a breech of security.

I think no one is posting much information about the X-37B because it is clasified or the Air Force is not telling anyone
about it.

A

aphh

lampblack":1lg3qb6t said:
One supposes the obvious question would be: what objects, if any, were flying overhead at KSC at the time of the X-37B launch? If there is a known object with an orbital plane that matches up, it oughtta be a clue for the guys and gals who're trying to locate the mini-shuttle.

Military satellites are often launched to polar orbit or near-polar orbit to cover as much of the earth as possible. Only from polar orbit could X-37B strike any target so it is reasonable to assume that this bird flies from north to south or the other way around.

Those orbits are already filled with interesting objects that are visible with binoculars. I've seen several shiny and glittering arrow-like objects fly by in the past. This one is probably camouflaged pretty well and blends in with the background sky, so a lot of good luck is needed to have the binoculars point to the right direction at the right moment.

Could it have stealth capabilities aswell so that satellite tracking radars could not pick it up easily?

M

MeteorWayne

If you've seen arrow shapes, either you have astigmatism, or your binoculars or telescope need adjustment.

S

shuttle_guy

aphh":yf9er1h2 said:
lampblack":yf9er1h2 said:

Military satellites are often launched to polar orbit or near-polar orbit to cover as much of the earth as possible. Only from polar orbit could X-37B strike any target so it is reasonable to assume that this bird flies from north to south or the other way around.

Those orbits are already filled with interesting objects that are visible with binoculars. I've seen several shiny and glittering arrow-like objects fly by in the past. This one is probably camouflaged pretty well and blends in with the background sky, so a lot of good luck is needed to have the binoculars point to the right direction at the right moment.

Could it have stealth capabilities aswell so that satellite tracking radars could not pick it up easily?

The X-37B was launched from Cap Canaveral which can not send payloads into polar orbits because the stages would drop on populated areas. The highest inclination fro Thr Cape is about 60 degress. I watched the launch, it did not fly into a 60 deg inclined orbit.

S

shuttle_guy

I think no one is posting much information about the X-37B because it is clasified or the Air Force is not telling anyone
about it.[/quote]
That is correct. Hopefully the y will tell us when it lands.

A

aphh

MeteorWayne":gqv7g9vs said:
If you've seen arrow shapes, either you have astigmatism, or your binoculars or telescope need adjustment.

I believe I saw Goce. It was sparkling when it went by and Goce has solar panels attached suitably: http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/goce/28_H1.jpg

I just spent half an hour outside and saw a few faint objects on polar orbits. To be able to tell whether one could have been X-37B requires matching the observations with known objects on polar orbit. When one is found that can not be positively identified, the next step would involve bigger and better equipment and locating the same object again.

If X-37B is very well camouflaged, then the only way to find it visually is by chance when it occults a star.

shuttle_guy":1efv45ym said:
about it.

That is correct. Hopefully they will tell us when it lands.

Of course, a real Cloak & Dagger mission.

I would not expect the USAF to release much, if anything right now on the actual orbital mission. I hope there will be footage of the X-37B being released from the Atlas 5 post launch, etc. Cannot imagine that would be classified.

Hopefully we'll get to see the landing, I would not expect that to be classified as the appearance of the X-37B is well known & the launch was announced well in advance & viewed by many.

Andrew Brown.

A

aphh

shuttle_guy":1sd1ie0u said:
The X-37B was launched from Cap Canaver which can not send payloads into polar orbits because the stages would drop on populated areas. The highest inclination fro Thr Cape is about 60 degress. I watched the launch, it did not fly into a 60 deg inclined orbit.

Then the X-37B can not attack polar regions and we are spared up here in the north. This also fuels the speculations that the enemy is not earth based but comes from space. :cool:

More seriously, how much orbital plane change capacity can there be? The cross-range when returning is probably quite wide, although the wings look rather small. If the weight to aspect ratio was comparable to Shuttle, then the wings should be in similar proportion to offer similar lift and cross-range.

Z

ZiraldoAerospace

shuttle_guy":2plru0qt said:
The X-37B was launched from Cap Canaver which can not send payloads into polar orbits because the stages would drop on populated areas. The highest inclination fro Thr Cape is about 60 degress. I watched the launch, it did not fly into a 60 deg inclined orbit.
If I recall correctly, it was launched from Vandenberf AFB, not Canaveral. The shuttle was originally supposed to be able to launch from Vandenberg to do polar missions, but the budget got cut, so I am assuming that it would be able to easily do a polar orbit with the X37B. Also, everyone keeps asking how long it is going to be in orbit, and I have read many different places that the mission is 270 days.

A

aphh

MeteorWayne":1f48n5jx said:
Such delusion...

I get nightmares of X-37B loitering up in space and then attacking us like lightning when least expected. By the way, there must be something in the air because I just watched nice northern lights in the, eh, north of Helsinki.

This should tell something about either sun activity or magnetoshpere, but I'm not an expert. Very rare sight anyway. Probably climate related too.

L

lampblack

ZiraldoAerospace":3kauvgte said:
shuttle_guy":3kauvgte said:
If I recall correctly, it was launched from Vandenberf AFB, not Canaveral. The shuttle was originally supposed to be able to launch from Vandenberg to do polar missions, but the budget got cut, so I am assuming that it would be able to easily do a polar orbit with the X37B. Also, everyone keeps asking how long it is going to be in orbit, and I have read many different places that the mission is 270 days.

No, it was launched from Florida. The vehicle has the ability to remain in orbit up to 270 days; they may choose to bring it back before then.

M

MeteorWayne

aphh":2cg0ls1y said:
MeteorWayne":2cg0ls1y said:
Such delusion...

I get nightmares of X-37B loitering up in space and then attacking us like lightning when least expected. By the way, there must be something in the air because I just watched nice northern lights in the, eh, north of Helsinki.

This should tell something about either sun activity or magnetoshpere, but I'm not an expert. Very rare sight anyway. Probably climate related too.

Your nightmares are your own problems...

A

aphh

MeteorWayne":2270pf6d said:
Your nightmares are your own problems...

Constant threat of an attack from space is very real for any non-US citizens. National security is at stake here. How can we know that this is not an exercise, but a move against non-NATO countries?

Well, I think I can live with one X-37B loitering in space for now. A hundred X-37B's loitering in space... that is an entirely different matter... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts