Your Culture for the Week! Lissen' Up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

A week or so ago out here I ranted about people being poisoned by all of the bad economic news and how they should turn off the tv, turn off the Internet, throw away the newspaper and go for a walk, go fly a kite, go see a play or a movie and just relax and get away from the doom and gloom. I took my own advice and went to see a delightful little play tonight called The Weir, by Conor McPherson. It's a play in one act, about an hour and forty minutes in length, set in a small, present day Irish pub in the country. Five characters drink and tell ghost stories. Wonderful writing. As the story progresses you realize there is another layer to the characters beneath their words. Light drama. The venue was an intimate theater--Palm Beach Dramaworks--about 80 seats. I had aisle seat which put me center stage. If you spit you can hit the stage. I loved it! Good cast, featuring veteran tv actor Frank Converse, who has a winter home down here. You rednecks will remember him from the show Movin' On about two cross country truckers back in the '70s. I was struck by the fact the cast didn't try hard to do Irish accents, a wise choice. I'm a sucker for good writing and intimate theater. There's your culture for the week. That wasn't so bad, was it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.