2001 the movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimbus

By Kubrick. Cult classic and masterpiece, it's opposite the complexity of e.g. Soderbergh's Schizopolis. That's definitely part of its appeal, in a "less is more" kind of way. A lot like classic poetry is supposed to be; or at least like I learned in school - mostly classic studies, the context and foundations to modern stuff.

But being so simple, it's much less likely to be something only a single author could have come up with, assuming all authors' works are not-random at all -- that something as complex as Schizopolis is non-reducible. Or as non-reducible as possible. That there's no filler to it, that every element from tiny to over-arching, is there for a purpose. Again as per an old rule of thumb - like St-Exupery said "perfect when nothing left to remove".
So the simplest cogent piece of art would be that most likely for another author to come up with.

Not to take away from the quality of 2001 the movie itself, but only from fandom's blind hype, considering the above and considering the coincidence of 2001 and this old russian movie (and maybe also considering that Kubrick hated technology), it's kinda hard to seriously consider 2001 as some divine inspiration. As some sacred stroke of genius, more sacred than any other stroke of genius in the history of film.
A great movie nonetheless.

This struck me while looking for info on Spielberg's Interstellar (apparently pushed back a couple of years for some reason) on imdb.com. There's this comment section where lots of people repeat something I've heard countless times (and admittedly entertained myself) from lots of SF fans: that 2001 will never be equaled, etc. That Spielberg is delusional if he's expecting as much in making Interstellar. Pass the salt.

I

ice9

Well i can say that seeing 2001 during its original release in Cinerama will never be equaled IMO.

If Spielberg hopes to top Kubrick i hope he does bettor then A.I.

N

nimbus

4170793636_e686ab1b5e.jpg

4170032699_990fb0ba51.jpg

I

ice9

I just recently visited that site through a link from the forums and was also surprised when i saw those stills from a movie i had never heard off.

Kubrick was known to be a fanatical researcher so its no surprise to me that he was aware of the film.

What does surprise me is how much he borrowed, although IMO the flying bone to orbiting nuke is still the best and most original cut in film history.

B

bdewoody

I watched this movie in the theatre when it first came out. I was thouroughly convinced that what I was seeing on the screen would be in place by 2001. Not the oblisk but the technology. Every detail was so perfect. When I watch it now I find things I either never saw before or forgot. When entering the hub of the space station or landing on the moon there were people moving about behind every window. Unlike previous space movies there were no flames or towers of smoke coming out of the exhausts of the rockets. And the moon bus was magnificent. Greatest space movie made then or now.

M

MeteorWayne

ice9":1ods3qp2 said:
I just recently visited that site through a link from the forums and was also surprised when i saw those stills from a movie i had never heard off.

Kubrick was known to be a fanatical researcher so its no surprise to me that he was aware of the film.

What does surprise me is how much he borrowed, although IMO the flying bone to orbiting nuke is still the best and most original cut in film history.

You've never heard of 2001????

You must be very young :)

I

ice9

You must be very young :)[/quote]

I wish.

I was talking about the stills from a 1954 soviet film "Road to the Stars

"http://www.astronautix.com/articles/index.htm

B

bdewoody

ice9":21ey5w4p said:
You must be very young :)

I wish.

I was talking about the stills from a 1954 soviet film "Road to the Stars

"http://www.astronautix.com/articles/index.htm[/quote]
I looked at the stills and I kind of remember the movie. They are cool and come close to what Kubrick achieved in 2001.

J

JasonChapman

It would almost impossible to make a movie like 2001 now.
Since the full introduction of CGI effects into the movie industry cinema, audiences have become too used to a couple of hours of nonstop special FX bonanza, films like Transformers and the new Avatar prove this.
2001 is deep on so many levels you could go on forever. The film is an extension of mankind’s dream to not only travel to other planets but to discover his true origins. The space race fuelled people imagination to dizzy heights, and a lot of us on this forum still carry a torch for Kubrick’s dream.
As for Spielberg, the last of his films I really went wow at was Jurassic Park. Yes he had his fingers in many films since then but not as a director producer. I see he’s good mates with Peter Jackson now, when Jackson was basking in the glory of the Lord of the Rings trilogy rumour had it that Spielberg and Lucas hated his guts. As for this ‘Interstellar’ it’ll attract some people but if its not two hours of CGI glory and explosions he stands to lose and big time.

Bladerunner is another film which would be pointless trying to remake

Status
Not open for further replies.