A long pondered Star Trek Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kscarlett

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>To be honest, this was one of the few things that Roddenberry did with Star Trek that got on my nerves.&nbsp; It was a little too naive for my tastes for the very reasons that you mentioned.&nbsp; Completely removing money from the equation adds certain logistical complications that were never really addressed.&nbsp; To a certain extent people are just plain greedy, it's actually a survival instinct.&nbsp; People are going to want things and if you give one person more than another, somebody's going to get jealous.&nbsp; How do you weed the greed instinct out of people without removing people's natural competitive drive that makes them perform so well.&nbsp; To reference a completely and totally different sci-fi show, it's like in the movie Serenity where they find the planet Miranda.&nbsp; The Alliance weeded out everyone's aggressive drive and because of that everyone just laid down and died.&nbsp; To quote Mal: "Let me show you a world without sin."&nbsp; That's why the whole thing about no money just never rang true with me, it just didn't seem plausible.&nbsp; Hell, even the Soviet Union used currency to pay their workers (occasionally). You'll notice, however, that after he died all of that happy kumbaya stuff went out the window and the whole show took on a much darker, more realistic, tone. <br /> Posted by PistolPete</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><font color="#ff99cc"><font size="3">Haha, great points. <br />Another example could be Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. It has a scene on a planet (oh shoot, I can't remember the name), but it was a planet for intergallactic peace or something. Even there, basic human instinct (and even those of other species similar to ours) is portrayed. The planet was supposed to be peaceful with no weapons allowed, but the residents just made some themselves. The whole place was violent and scary. No matter how much you try to push instinct and emotion out of the equation, people will crack. Hence why Spocks's bro went all crazy-like. Even years of Vulcan meditation can't stop what's inevitable.</font></font> </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ffcc00"><font size="4">PCE. :)</font></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts