A simple streetlight hack could protect astronomy from urban light pollution

If there was a demand, I'm sure they could stamp out a GPS switch for under a buck. But there more to it than that. There are many methods of switching, and now dimming and controlling leds. And even though the blink is too fast to see. There will still be a dimming when the switch is deployed. Most won't be effected, but others will be. And the switch will cause problems for some control methods.

The installation time and cost will far out weigh the GPS cost.

If one is sure they want this solution......then put the GPS right in the led at manufacture. Then it might be worth it. Or at least commonly applicable.

I have concerns about the flickering as well. I can only see some older LEDs flickering, but many more can trigger migraines for me and others even though the blink rate may be consciously "imperceptible to the eye". I get the same thing from flickering fluorescent lighting, and even some of the "flame" bulbs. Night driving is bad enough with the LED headlight issue.

Reactions: SirStephenH

kb-

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
A fix to lights 200 km all around observatories, that would not help the wildlife and common people with the light pollution issue🤔 Good luck with that!
It's best to reduce hours and add reflectors

Oct 21, 2023
Visit site
We could also drop the obsession with white LEDs this makes it difficult to filter their spectrum. Old sodium lights have a specific spectra that can be filtered out easily.