Additional Shuttle Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qso1

<p>Few things are ever set in stone so to speak...including a retirement date for the shuttle.</p><p>It may change even more after a new Presidential Administration is sworn in and gets down to business.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

V

vulture4

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Until it is an appropriations bill, it is meaningless <br /> Posted by Cygnus_2112</DIV></p><p>It is worth calling your congressman. The Shuttle is working remarkably well, the station is almost complete.&nbsp; Why drop everthing and start over? We are about to throw away an investment of hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars in Shuttle and ISS, and fire thousands of highly experienced workers, whose knowledge cannot be put in documents and stored. We once had a plan for a gradual transition to something more advanced. Now all we have is a plan for a wasteful transition to something more primitive. </p>

C

Cygnus_X_1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It is worth calling your congressman. The Shuttle is working remarkably well, the station is almost complete.&nbsp; Why drop everthing and start over? We are about to throw away an investment of hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars in Shuttle and ISS, and fire thousands of highly experienced workers, whose knowledge cannot be put in documents and stored. We once had a plan for a gradual transition to something more advanced. Now all we have is a plan for a wasteful transition to something more primitive. <br />Posted by vulture4</DIV></p><p>The shuttle is working 'well" because billions are being spent.&nbsp; It needs to end.&nbsp; It can be said it is more "primitive", since it only can go into LEO. </p><p>&nbsp;The workers are going to lose their jobs anyway, no matter what the transition is.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

samkent

Also the ground equipment must be changed over to the Ares configuration. You cannot launch both at same time.<BR/>Besides what new launch needs something as big as the shuttle. It's like taking an 18 wheeler to the store to pick up your 6 bags of food.

J

job1207

COTS will replace Ares I, that will never get built. The heavy lifter, Ares whatever the most recent number is, will get built.

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>COTS will replace Ares I, that will never get built. The heavy lifter, Ares whatever the most recent number is, will get built. <br /> Posted by job1207</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;Incorrect.&nbsp;</p><p>1.&nbsp; COTS is only a demostration</p><p>2. There aren't any commercial manned spacecraft planned that can take the place of Orion.</p><p>&nbsp;3.&nbsp; Ares I can get canceled but that doesn't mean Orion is</p><p>4.&nbsp; Orion could fly on another launch vehicle&nbsp;</p>

J

job1207

<p>so what you are saying is that what I said could happen, therefore, it is correct as opposed to incorrect, or at the very least possible. Orion could be stuck on top of Ares V with no passengers, or they could just send it all up manned, and so forth. </p><p>Given that SpaceX is actually going to fly, and they are ahead of ares I by about seven years, I am epxecting Ares I to be cancelled. Rutan is also planning to go, and so, I would expect him to also beat 2014 or 2015. I didn't even mention Rutan.&nbsp; </p>

H

holmec

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://www.space.com/news/080619-house-shuttle-flight-bill.htmlCongress is working on increasing the number of Shuttle missions by one. Comments.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by job1207</DIV></p><p>Well, if its needed its needed.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>to other comments:</p><p>Stop ISS?&nbsp; Stop spending Billions?&nbsp; I think our economy would get a severe blow if we do that.&nbsp; We need to keep spending Billions for space.&nbsp; BTW going from Earth ground to Earth orbit is the most expesive part of space travel/exploration, thus I would not underestimate what we have accomplished in Earth Orbit. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

H

holmec

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>so what you are saying is that what I said could happen, therefore, it is correct as opposed to incorrect, or at the very least possible. Orion could be stuck on top of Ares V with no passengers, or they could just send it all up manned, and so forth. Given that SpaceX is actually going to fly, and they are ahead of ares I by about seven years, I am epxecting Ares I to be cancelled. Rutan is also planning to go, and so, I would expect him to also beat 2014 or 2015. I didn't even mention Rutan.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by job1207</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;I doubt that commercial space could take the shoes of Constellation program at this time.&nbsp; I hope the Ares launchers will be NASA's last, and that commerical space can provide launchers for any mission in the future when Ares are retired.&nbsp; But for now I believe Ares launchers will fly. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.