Ask Me Anything AMA Tariq Malik Editor in Chief Space.com

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tariqmalik

Editor-in-Chief
Space.com Editorial
Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
With all the advancements made recently by Space X and others allowing us a real shot at a trip to mars and a moon base. Do you think there is going to be a need for a push on education/re-training for new earth based space jobs that will support these projects?
Hi Echoii,

I think we are really at a turning point in space exploration and education.

Today, students can turn on YouTube or Twitter and see live video and photos from astronauts in space, and private companies are already building and launching rovers and landers to the moon. (They haven't succeeded yet, but give them time.)

So, it's only logical that new educational tracks and training programs will arise for the industry. A decade ago, I would never have guessed how the Cubesat industry would grow into the juggernaut it has become, leading to the development of a fleet of smallsat launchers like Rocket Lab and companies like the rideshare broker Spaceflight to accommodate them. And that's just one example. The industry is filled with many more now, and new vehicles and technologies will likely bring more that we can't even thing of yet.

tariqmalik

Editor-in-Chief
Space.com Editorial
Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
Hello Mr. Malek,
I keep reading about people going to space, to live, work or explore. You get to see a huge amount of information about our upcoming movement to space as a species. I am definitely interested in becoming a SpaceMonkey(tm) but I would like to know...

What would it take in terms of technology or administration to make YOU feel comfortable in moving to a space station or other planet?
Hi SpaceTrice,

I would LOVE to fly in space. It's been a lifelong dream of mine just to SEE our planet from space, and experience what it may be like. That said, I wouldn't trade safety or mission assurance away for a trip to space.

So, I would be willing to ride a spacecraft or visit another planet so long as I had a reasonable idea of the risk and felt confident enough that I would get home safely. I don't think I'd be first, but it would be pretty awesome to be an actual astrojournalist in space.

tariqmalik

Editor-in-Chief
Space.com Editorial
Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
We are surrounded by politics, now more than ever, and much of it not very encouraging. After 10,000 of civil society, we are still not civil for long. Therefore, my question for you is, how do you feel international (or even regional) claims over planets, asteroids and other things that avaricious humans would consider "real estate" and resources?
I know it's not a fun topic, but I am very interested in your take on this.
Hi AlexK,

The United Nations has a Treaty on the Peaceful Use of Outer Space from 1967 that does limit ownership of any planets, moons or parts thereof. What I find interesting is that, until companies or countries start living on the moon or Mars, it's pretty difficult to put that treaty to the test.

I feel that when humanity works together, we're able to do amazing things. The International Space Station, a $100 billion orbiting laboratory built by 15 countries and five different space agencies, is a shining example of that. And I think a return to the moon wouldn't be complete unless it was done internationally. That said, space IS a business for many companies around the world, so watching how those companies work within the confines of the Treaty to carve out their corporate niche will be interesting to see.

tariqmalik

Editor-in-Chief
Space.com Editorial
Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
Thank you all for the amazing questions and for your interest in space and Space.com! You can always find me on Twitter @tariqjmalik and, of course, on Space.com.

Keep looking up!

Reactions: lcarlson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts