Any good space adventure games ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toymaker

I am interested in games involved with space colonisation, exploration(mind you-not space empires which I also like !)<br />For example Alien Legacy(colonisation), Frontier or X-Beyond the Frontier(exploration), Freelancer or Outpost.<br />Know any other games of that type of genre ?

S

Saiph

Hmmm...that rules out Alpha Centauri...<br /><br />Wish I could help, I'm more into real time strategy and action games (FPS, etc) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

F

fear

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/<br /><br />^ here's the web site for "The Ur-Quan Masters" a free windows port of "Star Control II". SC2 is a space adventure game from the early 90's, and one of the best games ever made IMO. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

G

grooble

X2 is the best. You start off with no money and a crappy little ship. You fly around doing freight runs to space stations and bounty hunting. Eventually you buy better ships, weapons, upgrades, and even build your own space stations and freight ships for them.<br /><br />Highly addictive game.<br /><br />www.egosoft.com the expansion is out soon, wait for the gold edition. <br /><br />edit: damn, they cancelled the expansion, but they have announced X3!

W

wmdragon

the Homeworld games are awesome, but they are strictly strategy games (with good stories behind them), I wouldnt recommend them as adventure/colonization/exploration. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

ahh, a "space trader" or "space pirating" series of games that I enjoy is a series by Ambrosia Software called Escape Velocity (a.k.a EV). Also in the series is EV-Overdrive EV-Nova.<br /><br />All are good. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

Hmm. Well, not exactly a "colonization game" "Privateer" (Age old top 100 game of all time) has been totally reworked. You can download the entire game <b>for free</b> here : http://priv.solsector.net/downloads.htm Some serious work went into this total revamp by the fans.<br /><br />Master of Orion 2 is excellent. Master of Orion 3 is, well, good up until you reach a certain point. However, MoO3 is worth a look if you can get it. It's a "grandpappy" as far as a time-sink goes and there are some strange bugs in it. However, by going to their forums you can find many revamps, workarounds and fanbase "fixes" for the game. This is definitely a "space empires" type game.<br /><br />Galactic Civilizations has received good reviews. I "liked it" but it wasn't to my demanding tastes really. It's not mature enough for me. A small "space empires" type game.<br /><br />Battlecruiser - Millennium Gold Edition - Is "OK." However, it is more of a "sim" type game than a civilization game. However, the manual was written by a team of monkeys using one of those plastic "squeeky" hammers on a keyboard. It's fairly indigestible and makes little sense. The UI is cumbersome at best. However, it does have fairly infinite replayability. Be careful with this title though. The learning curve is very steep.<br /><br />A fun little title is "Space Colony." It's more of a "sims in space" game but it certainly has a good theme and is mildly addictive. You manage the development of a space station on the surface of various planets.<br /><br />Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire Expansion- Excellent game imo. While you do build up a type of Empire in the game, the storyline is excellent and the various factions are entertaining and challenging.<br /><br />Empirium Galactica was a good title. An empire game really but decent story and nice ideas for it's day. I believe there is a sequel out there.<br /><br /><br></br> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

A

alienhunter

I suggest you have a look at EVE Online. Sometimes 10K users online. Strategy and role play describes this game best. Find it at http://www.eve-online.com/. A player can send you an invitation to try a couple of days for free. Hard to explain this game, must try it. The adventure part is probably killing pirate ships. You have a galaxy to explore.<br /><br />What I like with these games is that it's like a good sci-fi book but it's interactive. Imagine the Foundation series where you can take part! Yes, my character is called Stettin Palver...

H

hansolo0

I'm playing X-tension, the first sequel to X-Btf , it's mostly buying and selling to make money, but you get to capture and sell enemy ships which is fun. You also buy factories that make products which you in turn sell. You fly around systems, but not really to explore unfortunately, still, a highly addictive game. There's X2 now and a sequel to that comming shortly. Also, check out outpost 2. A fun game where you setup colonies and research technology while fighting off a rival colony with armored vehicles. Here is a fan link for a download, though if you don't have the cd you don't have music.<br /><br />http://www.outpost-universe.net/op2dl/<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts