Atlas V 551

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ace5

Does anyone has any information about the aerodynamics studies that lead to the 5-booster design of the Atlas V 551 launcher? It seems like there are 3 boosters at onde side and only 2 at the opposite. Is it true?

Q

qso1

According to the wiki link, the second number in the designation indicates number of boosters. I wanted to see a launch image where all boosters are visible but didn't.<br /><br />I can say there should be no aerodynamic showstoppers considering the Buran/Energia booster shuttle arrangement and even the arrangement when Energia launched the one unmanned payload pod that it launched.<br /><br />Go to the link below and you will see a good image of Energia with Buran and note booster arrangement. A fairly sizeable portion of the core booster is exposed.<br /><br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energia <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

R

rybanis

IIRC, the RD-180 engine has a gimbal ability sufficient to control the thrust difference when in the 5 booster configuration. This ability also allows them to use the 411 configuration. (4 meter faring, 1 booster, 1-engine Centaur). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

That I don't know but I imagine the RD-180 would have to gimbal slightly to compensate for the lack of mass where a sixth booster would normally be. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

C

comga

There is no "place" for a sixth solid booster. The arrangement is mirror symmetric IIRC.<br /><br />Yes, the 411 is at least as asymmetric as the 551.<br /><br />For images of an Atlas V with five solid boosters, check out the ones from the New Horizons launch, which was the first 551. However, it is geometrically impossible to see more than four of the solids at any one time, except, perhaps, from directly above. I have some gorgeous prints, but none show more than three of the solids.<br /><br />That rocket took off like the proverbial "bat out of Hell".

Q

qso1

Plenty of room for a sixth booster, check out the chart about halfway down the page I linked and at the top of that chart marked 55X, you'll see how they arrange the boosters. You could have six boosters by mirroring them and still have open space on either side of the booster for payloads.<br /><br />http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av010/051102atlas5rocket.html<br /><br />Your right about not being able to see all five except from a top or nearly top on shot, and maybe bottom on as well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

C

Cygnus_X_1

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;There isn't room for a 6th SRB.&nbsp; The two SRB's on one side are in between the avionics pod and LOX feed line.&nbsp; Therefore, there is no rooms to "squeeze" one in.&nbsp;&nbsp; Both Delta IV and Atlas V were orginally designed without SRM's, which were added late in the design.&nbsp; This is reflected in both vehicles, where there are no SRM's attach points on the sides of the cores that would attach to booster cores in the heavy configurations.&nbsp; Addtionally for Atlas V, SRB placed on the "empty" sides&nbsp; wouldn't be over the flame trench.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

<p>I'll put it another way. Currently there would be no room for a sixth booster without heavy mods to the CCB. Theoretically, if you modified the CCB to a new configuration, you could mirror image the boosters sitting between the feed line and av pod which would allow for a booster on the right and left side of the CCB as shown in the drawing.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>However, there is probably no pressing need for such a config.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

C

Cygnus_X_1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> if you modified the CCB to a new configuration, you could mirror image the boosters sitting between the feed line and av pod which would allow for a booster on the right and left side of the CCB as shown in the drawing.&nbsp;However, there is probably no pressing need for such a config.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by qso1</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;If you are saying booster is another core, then no, because then the feedline would be over the flame trench.&nbsp; The feedline is also where the LOX umbilical connects (which is&nbsp; not in the flame trench).&nbsp; Also the av pod would be inaccessible next to another core.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;If you are saying booster is an SRB, then no also because the SRB wouldn't be over the flame trench </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

<p>I'm saying theoretically with mods...mods that would include coinsideration of launching off another pad or heavily modifying the existing pad, neither of which is likely to happen just to get a six SRB Atlas V.</p><p>&nbsp;My point is, there are spaces on the CCB that would allow such a config if such a config were desirable. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.