Balloons to lift a rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevemilw

Hello, i was wandering if it would be possible to carry a rocket up to 100,000 feet using four weather balloons.
I am an engineer thinking of starting a business launching human cremations to the moon.
if i can harness the power of the balloon, the solid state fuel payload would be dreamtically reduced, allowing for the weight of the cremations to be placed in the rocket.
My question is, would the air be too thin at that altitude to provide enough resistance to create lift? In an ordinary rocket, does the speed of the rocket normally help it through the thin air, much like a slingshot? If this is the case then my idea may be flawed.
I have sketched down a release mechanism with a driver system to seperate the four balloons and open up a hole for the rocket dangling underneath to be launched. The teathers will be released apon the rocket rising above the balloons.
The preliminary stages would involve a prototype to get it into space, before worrying about guiding it to the moon.
What type of fuel do you think would be best for a system like this, im guesing none of you are really engineers here, but ill ask anyway. It woul need to be a high energy, fast output.

R

R1

Actually Romania is planning a balloon launch to the moon. They will send a ball
there that will take pictures as part of the contest. SDC article link:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/090527-tw-glxp-arca.html

090527-tech-romainian-ball-01.jpg

But I'm not sure I like the idea of sending ashes. The moon will have a lot of traffic soon.
Anyway,
maybe if you can do this yourself you could win the prize worth so many millions.

[From the SDC page:] Romania's ARCA team during a test in March:
090527-arca-test-00.jpg

Members of the Romanian team ARCA pose with their Google Lunar X Prize insignia during a propulsion test in March 2009. Credit: Asociatia Romana

S

stevemilw

Thanks for the relpies, i disagree that i shouldnt attempt it on the grounds that there will be allot of traffic to the moon in the near future. A small rocket in comparison with the huge area of the moon is vertially nothing. And why shouldnt i be a part of that traffic?

What about sending cremations into space? For example, a rocket launch from a balloon platform and towards a star constellation.
Are there any rewards for achieving a homemade space rocket launch?
Launching towards the moon would be extremely expensive, you would need sophisticated guidance equipment onboard.

S

SpaceXFanMobius57

Its a great idea for teams trying to win the Lunar X prize.

A

access

look up jp aerospace,cu spaceflight and SEDS all are involved with rockoons

Status
Not open for further replies.