Best Sci-Fi Film

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Classic Latin is Ancient Roman era. this new stuff is eastern empire under Constantine. Which dwarfed into Italian. Our currency has classic on it.
So does many of our legal documents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Oh! What school memories. I got GCSE in Latin, French and German. I later spent a lot of time in France and Germany, so those languages were pretty good. Sadly I never spent a lot of time in Ancient Rome, although I have recently started learning Italian. I think there are parts of your brain that only learning languages can stimulate.

Cat :)

Reactions: Clovis

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
"The Lost Symbol". I thought that this was not being made into a film because a very close plot film has been released. I have purchased parts 1 and 2 of the "alternative" but, whilst they are quite good, they are, imho, nowhere near the Dan Brown "original". Stealing stuff from Buckingham Palace and the White House - come on! Is it that easy?

Anyway, the last I heard TLS was going to be a TV serial. Does anyone know what is happening?

Oh! What school memories. I got GCSE in Latin, French and German. I later spent a lot of time in France and Germany, so those languages were pretty good. Sadly I never spent a lot of time in Ancient Rome, although I have recently started learning Italian. I think there are parts of your brain that only learning languages can stimulate.

Visiting Rome is ok, but it sure has become a tourist trap. Everything is a bit expensive, in and around it.Went to Pompeii and Herculaneum, those were nice sites to check out.

Reactions: Catastrophe
The movie forbidden planet has been left out. Very good for when it was made.
But I'm sure the remake will screw it up. It always does . Except for The Day the Day the Earth stood still.

The old War of the Worlds. Or the new War of the Worlds? I prefer the old one, the remake was focused on Tom Cruz .
And what kind of dad he was. The battle scene, all the Hummers going over a hill, lots of sound and light show. But no real battle.
Hummers coming back over the hill on fire? Lame at best.

Killage

BANNED
Jun 15, 2021
Visit site
The movie Starship Troopers is not deep as the novel by Heinlein, but remains a very good space opera, with credible aliens and a good representation of a possible future.
To remain in the theme of hostile aliens, I liked also Spielberg's War of the Worlds.
Other best movies are Contact, Interstellar and Arrival.
Also very good the first two movies of the Alien saga (the last two and the prequels are to forget).
I listened to the audiobook of it, wasn't anything like the movie.

Killage

BANNED
Jun 15, 2021
Visit site
Ok for 2001: a space odissey and Forbidden Planet, but Contact, Interstellar and Arrival are for me much better than Battlestar galactica (all the two series) and Star Wars saga (episode I-VI, not those by Disney), even being a masterpiece is more "space fantasy" than science fiction in strict sense.
Forbidden Planet is one of my favs.

Nice selection.

I wonder how many here have seen Forbidden Planet?
I have the DVD old movie copy of forbidden planet. For some reason there has been a lot rumors about a remake, but it's never happened.
Most remakes never hit the mark anyway, only a small handful have. That would make a good thread, the good remakes and the bad ones. But that would be subject to opinions. They seem to do better as a sequel, that way they don't diminish the original.
Westerns seem to have this problem also.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
I think I have watched all of the Star Trek and Star Wars movies. Some were good some were bad. I thought 2010 was better than 2001. Gravity had some good special effects, the story was kind of silly, the backpack wouldn't have enough Delta V to change orbits for the ISS or to the Chinese space station. Starship Troopers was a big disappointment after reading the novel a few times, I watched The Martian several times. All in all Hollywood has forgotten how to make a good science fiction movie.

Reactions: Clovis
I think I have watched all of the Star Trek and Star Wars movies. Some were good some were bad. I thought 2010 was better than 2001. Gravity had some good special effects, the story was kind of silly, the backpack wouldn't have enough Delta V to change orbits for the ISS or to the Chinese space station. Starship Troopers was a big disappointment after reading the novel a few times, I watched The Martian several times. All in all Hollywood has forgotten how to make a good science fiction movie.

Hollywood try's to make them political.

Latest posts