Brain weight determination

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimmyboy

I know this sounds like a silly question but I have to know..
Everyone is born with a certain degree of intelligence and as a person grows they can improve on it. My question is: would someones brain weigh more if the same person was smart i.e went to university or stupid i.e a bum.
Not saying a big difference, just microscopicaly. The reason is because if you learn your brain creates path ways to certain neurons which were not there before, these must weigh something??? so I just thought two identical people, one that has multiple qualifications the other didnt bother just sat at home smoked dope all day and watched Tv, would there be a difference in head weight??

C

captdude

Brain size really doesn't relate to intelligence within a species. (as a matter of fact some of our recent ancestors had larger brains than we do) However, brain size in relation to body size has SOME correlation as to the intelligence OF a species.

J

Jimmyboy

Interesting point, but some people would argue with it, I mean if someone had a bigger brain than ave and many more connections than ave inside per given size they would have the best of both worlds!!

Even so that was not quite the actual question..

If you have time look on youtube Chris Langan hes got a iq 190-210 check out his bonce...

D

darkmatter4brains

Yes, brain size doesn't guarantee intelligence. For example, the Neanderthals had a larger brain than we do, yet were probably less intelligent in most cases ... although one wonders sometimes :lol:

There have been studies done at a few respectable Universitites that looked at people who meditated a lot, and supposedly they determined these folks actually had some grey matter increase in their brains. I'll have to see if I can't find those studies again.

J

Jimmyboy

lol Mmmm but it is abit hard to use the Neanderthals as an example or any other ancient human as they didnt have hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and knowledge passed on from previous generations, Maybe there brains developed larger than ours to give them a head start in evolution??? Once knowledge was acuiqired it was able to reduce in size?? Who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts