Captain America, Will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonChapman

Okay the man to play Captain America has been decided, Chris Evans, that guy out of the Fantastic Four who played Johhny 'Flame on' Storm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8582956.stm

I know there are a lot of fans of this superhero out there. My freind is a comic collector and has been waiting eons for Hollywood to do a modern remake. However, what about the general film audience.

Most of you fans out there know that Captian America was created back in WWII at a time when Freedom and Liberty were under threat from an evil the likes the world had never seen. The Nazi Regime swept across Europe like a plague destroying all who stood in its way. The Japanese Empire stood ready to Attack the United States of America. It was time when heroes were born and epic battles were fought both in The Pacific and Europe.
Captain America filled the hearts of many young Americans with pride and Admiration, he stood for truth, justice and the American way, just like Superman, and just like Superman Captain America always won the day. Those were indeed the good old days.

Now, fast forward to Modern day and look back at what has happened in the last decade. Hollywood is going to have to work very hard to convinced ordinary film goers to view this movie, especially to audiences outside the US. So will this movie work or is Hollywood risking being dragged into a political storm.

A

a_lost_packet_

JasonChapman":2j2siwwe said:
Okay the man to play Captain America has been decided, Chris Evans, that guy out of the Fantastic Four who played Johhny 'Flame on' Storm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8582956.stm

I know there are a lot of fans of this superhero out there. My freind is a comic collector and has been waiting eons for Hollywood to do a modern remake. However, what about the general film audience....

/sigh

Well, I don't know if Chris Evans will "work." He might. I guess time will tell. Cap is nothing like his Johnny Storm character. I hope his performance successfully distances him from previous character stereotypes.

Now, to the question of will Captain America The Movie "work." I don't know that either. Cap is about being proud of something, waving a flag and standing up for truth and liberty and standing against oppression and evil. I don't know the storyline that's planned. But, I don't see how they can put it in a modern setting. If they did, I don't think it would work. Things are very gray right now... A true-to-comic origins story is probably best to start.

But, you know, it's possible they could do a modern day version of Cap sticking to the finding of Captain America and his subsequent thawing out. In fact, it might be uplifting. It's symbolic too - It's time we found ourselves again and remembered what we're all about. The more I think about it, the more I now feel that maybe a modern version is what we really need to see. But, I don't know if the studios want to make that gamble.

I'll reserve my opinion on whether it will truly work until I learn more about the storyline they're pursuing.

O

OleNewt

But, I don't see how they can put it in a modern setting.

Superman Returned, perhaps such can be the case for Captain America. Might even be centered around the terrorism angle, though to appeal to the wider audience I don't think they'll go beyond coalitions and probably will make it a point to include all nationalities involved on both sides of the fight (ie, muslim good guys and muslim bad guys, patriotic Americans and "homegrown terrorists", etc). Profits aside, they probably aren't interested in fanning the flames of stereotype TOO severely.

Or perhaps they'll go with the anti-american stance and make Cap more like "nekkid blue guy" from The Watchmen, seeing his country fall into unseemly levels of sin and vice he wonders if he should be protecting the good guys from the bad guys or protecting them from themselves.

S

StarRider1701

a_lost_packet_":3pv287ik said:
/sigh

Well, I don't know if Chris Evans will "work." He might. I guess time will tell. Cap is nothing like his Johnny Storm character.
Now, to the question of will Captain America The Movie "work." I don't see how they can put it in a modern setting. If they did, I don't think it would work. Things are very gray right now... A true-to-comic origins story is probably best to start.

I too don't know if he will work. He would work for the 4-F scrawny Steve Rogers who was rejected by the Army, but if he's gonna be CAP, they'll need a lot of padding! As I suggested in the other Captian America thread a few months ago, perhaps 2 actors, one pre-Super Soldier Steve and another with the correct build to play CAP.

They might not need to do a WWII origins story - they did a surprisingly good job of modernizing Iron Man's origins in that movie, in my opinion. And the bad guys were both external and internal and quite realistic.

All in all, MCG has done a pretty good job on the Superhero movies so far, and I've always liked Captain America. I think I'll go see it when it comes out.

A

a_lost_packet_

StarRider1701":3awe2t8i said:
I too don't know if he will work. He would work for the 4-F scrawny Steve Rogers who was rejected by the Army, but if he's gonna be CAP, they'll need a lot of padding! As I suggested in the other Captian America thread a few months ago, perhaps 2 actors, one pre-Super Soldier Steve and another with the correct build to play CAP.

He's definitely going to need a lot of padding. Either that or he's going to be taking massive amounts of Weight Gain.

They might not need to do a WWII origins story - they did a surprisingly good job of modernizing Iron Man's origins in that movie, in my opinion. And the bad guys were both external and internal and quite realistic.

True, I enjoyed Iron Man a lot. I think some of the reason I enjoyed it was that it didn't take itself too seriously.

All in all, MCG has done a pretty good job on the Superhero movies so far, and I've always liked Captain America. I think I'll go see it when it comes out.

I'll definitely go see it.

L

ladygreensleeves

oh and dont let it go the path of the last XMEN...grrrr was I mad!!!

L

ladygreensleeves

Captain America will be a hot ticket to see. I am dying to see it but I am a little worried it will go the same direction recent comic/movie portrayals have. (Im still waiting to see world of warcraft movie btw hope its not a letdown)...
If they make the movies more like the comic books and less cheesy/romantic that would help a lot. No more close up dramatic scenes with some stupid catchphrase either please!!

A

a_lost_packet_

ladygreensleeves":rzwubjvn said:
Captain America will be a hot ticket to see. I am dying to see it but I am a little worried it will go the same direction recent comic/movie portrayals have.

I just hope that it doesn't turn into a publicity vehicle. I want to see a good story told with the original ethos of Cap heavily intertwined.

(Im still waiting to see world of warcraft movie btw hope its not a letdown)...

Wait.. didn't we already have one? Avatar? It had night elvesesesses in it, right? If they do happen to have a WoW movie, I hope it gets good reception. Either way, I'll probably go see it just so I can shout "FOR THE HORDE!" :)

If they make the movies more like the comic books and less cheesy/romantic that would help a lot. No more close up dramatic scenes with some stupid catchphrase either please!!

Absolutely. More action, less teen romance and heartthrob competition. Comic books might just be "comic books" but, the relationships between characters are a heck of a lot more complicated than a lot of comic-to-film exports seem to portray.

Oh, btw, welcome to SDC!

S

ShadowSeph

Sounds like a disaster IMO. Unfortunately, the only part that Chris Evans will perform well is in if it requires a goofy, not really funny, side kick who dies in the beginning of the film. I'll go see that.

Captain America had many forms of appearances in the comics. I enjoyed the "ultimates" take on it since it was a modern interpretation of Captain America and the way these upcoming marvel movies are being released, it's heading towards the "ultimate" side of the storyline....somewhat.

Chris Evans will appear also in theaters in the movie: "The Losers" which is based off a comic book imprint of DC known as Vertigo. So Marvel, then DC then Marvel....hmmm how does one justify that? Only in the movies kid.

They will alter the storyline and genesis of Captain America I'm sure of it and just fyi the movie title is not about Captain America alone. The title for the film is the Avengers, so what they are plan on doing is taking all the actors from the previous stand alone superhero movies and putting them into one movie. Again this was the idea at the end of the movie Incredible Hulk.

So I believe the storyline will streamline into the idea of a team getting together to take down the hulk but there can be alot more to it I'm sure. This I pray will reach its ultimatum in action-packed comic book movie unlike "Rise of the Silver Surfer" which was more like a soap opera meets Direct-to-DVD film.

A

a_lost_packet_

ShadowSeph":m4dr3yex said:
...This I pray will reach its ultimatum in action-packed comic book movie unlike "Rise of the Silver Surfer" which was more like a soap opera meets Direct-to-DVD film.

I was greatly disappointed in that movie... The Silver Surfer makes his grand entrance and then spends a great portion of his time in the movie flat on his butt doing nothing, rendered impotent by Doom.. IIRC, the Surfer wasn't exactly impotent when his board was taken away....

PS - Welcome to SDC!

S

ShadowSeph

a_lost_packet_":fbmdzoko said:
ShadowSeph":fbmdzoko said:
...This I pray will reach its ultimatum in action-packed comic book movie unlike "Rise of the Silver Surfer" which was more like a soap opera meets Direct-to-DVD film.

I was greatly disappointed in that movie... The Silver Surfer makes his grand entrance and then spends a great portion of his time in the movie flat on his butt doing nothing, rendered impotent by Doom.. IIRC, the Surfer wasn't exactly impotent when his board was taken away....

PS - Welcome to SDC!

Thx and btw,

Wait.. didn't we already have one? Avatar? It had night elvesesesses in it, right?

I'm don't know much info on WoW Lore but in my opinion the Avatar tribes were more like Dranei since they had tails and much taller in apppearance. The way the WoW film won't bomb is if they literally stay balanced in storyline and plot (not too much book/game based and not too much straying away from storyline) and also if the whole movie didn't have elements you would have seen in the LOTR trilogy.

A

a_lost_packet_

ShadowSeph":14gbe0gh said:
Wait.. didn't we already have one? Avatar? It had night elvesesesses in it, right?

I'm don't know much info on WoW Lore but in my opinion the Avatar tribes were more like Dranei since they had tails and much taller in apppearance. The way the WoW film won't bomb is if they literally stay balanced in storyline and plot (not too much book/game based and not too much straying away from storyline) and also if the whole movie didn't have elements you would have seen in the LOTR trilogy.

True, true. They're sort of a combination of the two. Though, I haven't actually seen Avatar yet... :D

If they keep the mythos and hatch a story within it, then they'll have a firmer foundation. Surprisingly enough, for a game, the story is pretty good. (I'm not a great fan of the books even though they delve a bit deeper.)

I've always liked the Avengers. It was one of the first superhero groups that I can remember. But, IIRC, the Cap film is supposed to be an origins story. So, we'll have to wait for "The Avengers" meg-movie for the historic gathering of one of the most potent forces in comic book history.

D

docm

Almost 6' 1" for those who are stuck on stature, so he has a good frame, and it looks like he's prime material for the Superman/Chris Reeves training regime. Don't forget Reeves started out at <180 lbs and was boosted to nearly 225 lbs of babe magnet at the end of training.

Chris Evans then
chris_evans_human_torch.jpg

Chris Evans now
chris_evans_03c.jpg

D

drwayne

a_lost_packet_":37kl22f4 said:
ShadowSeph":37kl22f4 said:

PS - Welcome to SDC!

No question, the recent movies have taken significant liberties with the canon. In the books, the Surfer was manipulated
by others, including Doom, but there aren't many folks on Earth he couldn't go toe to toe with. He was of course clearly out of his league when confronting Galactus, but only the Beyonder and Doctor Strange did that well...

C

CommonMan

He’s only human, cap was infused with the super solider serious, if they can muscle him up more and make him serious about the roll he will play, maybe he will work.

D

docm

Evans took his Johnny Storm from his director, and Johnny was always a brash and impetuous smarta** so IMO his portrayal fit the role to a T. Give him another role & director and you'll get something else.

B

BrianBoru

I think he has the Cap 'look', the question of will it work, I think, should be, will it work internationally or will it only be a 'domestic' success?

D

docm

Casting report:

General Chester Phillips: Tommy Lee Jones

In the original story line Steve Rogers could not serve in WW-II due to his poor physical condition. US Army General Chester Phillips, looking for test subjects, offered Rogers the chance to serve his country by taking part in Operation: Rebirth, which sought to develop a means of creating Super Soldiers.

S

StarRider1701

docm":39btxgmq said:
Casting report:

General Chester Phillips: Tommy Lee Jones

In the original story line Steve Rogers could not serve in WW-II due to his poor physical condition. US Army General Chester Phillips, looking for test subjects, offered Rogers the chance to serve his country by taking part in Operation: Rebirth, which sought to develop a means of creating Super Soldiers.

Back to the question of a WWII (original) origin or will they modernize? Well, its not like we've had a shortage of wars since then!!! Especially given the strong surge of patriotism after 9/11. Modernizing Cap's origins shouldn't be too difficult if they keep the theme of Cap's origin the same.

D

docm

Remember that Steve Rogers was frozen in the arctic then discovered by the Avengers, the superhero team put together by S.H.I.E.L.D. I'd bet they contract that a bit in Captain America: The First Avenger to just Tony Stark, Black Widow and perhaps Thor, especially since the next film is to be an Avengers flick.

Also rumored to be in the Captain America flick is Sam Wilson/Falcon.

S

StarRider1701

docm":2a3clz02 said:
Remember that Steve Rogers was frozen in the arctic then discovered by the Avengers, the superhero team put together by S.H.I.E.L.D. I'd bet they contract that a bit in Captain America: The First Avenger to just Tony Stark, Black Widow and perhaps Thor, especially since the next film is to be an Avengers flick.

Also rumored to be in the Captain America flick is Sam Wilson/Falcon.

Cool, I always did like The Falcon, one of the first black Super Heroes. You could be right, at the end of Iron Man 2 Tony was talking to Fury about The Avengers. Then there was the scene after the credits, Thor's Hammer in a nice crater out in the desert. Wondering about that because under normal circumstances his hammer always goes back to Thor???
Whatever they do, I'm looking forward to it.

D

docm

Thor was exiled to Earth in weakened human form, a disabled med student named Donald Blake, by Odin to learn humility and Mjolnir, his hammer, came looking for him. In the comics Blake finds Mjolnir in a cave, but in this flick it's found by S.H.I.E.L.D. only to find him later.

D

docm

More casting news

Timothy Aloysius Cadwallader "Dum Dum" Dugan : Neal McDonough

DDD is one of Nick Fury's right hand men

Neal-McDonough.jpg
dumdum1.jpg

McDonough is one of those 'everywhere' actors who gained attention for quitting/getting fired from "Desperate Housewives" because he wouldn't do a sex scene. His contract stated he wouldn't have any, and that clause was in there because he felt doing one would disrespect his wife.

IMO a stand up guy.

D

drwayne

docm":3f73oa6d said:
Thor was exiled to Earth in weakened human form, a disabled med student named Donald Blake, by Odin to learn humility and Mjolnir, his hammer, came looking for him. In the comics Blake finds Mjolnir in a cave, but in this flick it's found by S.H.I.E.L.D. only to find him later.

I remember thinking the limitation that if Thor failed to touch Mjolnir for over 60 seconds, he changed back to
Don Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts