CNN Money test drives Volt mule (+video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Mule
mule.jpg

Remember that a "mule" is a Volt running gear with the rest, including the suspension, being a Chevy Cruze. As such the suspension isn't tuned as a Volt production car will be, too soon for that, so figure this into interpreting the road test. Here are the links and story text;

Test drive video.....

CNN Money story.....

First drive: Chevy Volt test

A few laps behind the wheel of an early version of GM's electric car shows the
strengths - and possible weaknesses - of the technology.

It was a rare opportunity when General Motors recently invited a few reporters to test drive a Chevrolet Volt electric car "test mule" at the carmaker's proving grounds in Milford, Mich.

Very few people who don't work for a car company ever get to drive "mules." These are not-ready-for-prime-time mock-ups used to test new engine, transmission and suspension technologies.

To create a "mule," engineers stuff the mechanicals of a new vehicle into the body of an existing vehicle and test drive that for months. It beats waiting for a whole car.

In this case, the body was that of a Chevrolet Cruze, a new small car model that GM will start selling here next year. The interior, except for a big red "kill" switch on the dashboard, was that of a Cruze, too. Underneath, though, was the battery pack and electric motor, packed under the gasoline engine, of a Chevy Volt electric car.

The guts of the car were about 80% those of the final Chevy Volt, according to Vehicle Line Executive Frank Weber.

Some tweaking still needs to be done before the car enters production, but this is a Chevy Volt.

Here's what it's like to drive GM's big gamble.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com senior writer

M

MasterComposter

This is a good review. I can see myself owning something like this for about 90% of my driving, which is well under 40 miiles at a shoit and doesn't require much cargo room. I'll keep the SUV for the road trips and the hauling. But I wish the initial cost were less.

C

crazyeddie

MasterComposter":1mm3hgs8 said:
This is a good review. I can see myself owning something like this for about 90% of my driving, which is well under 40 miiles at a shoit and doesn't require much cargo room. I'll keep the SUV for the road trips and the hauling. But I wish the initial cost were less.

If it's anything like GM's other early production models, it will probably have terrible reliability for the first few years until they get the bugs worked out.....if ever.

In the meantime, Toyota or Honda will come out with a similar car that performs better and is reliable from the get-go.

If GM doesn't get this right, they are finished!

D

docm

Funny things about the Volt, it's not all American.

It uses a Family 0 engine built in Aspern, Austria that has a very good track record. Production to move to the US later, but likely highly automated.
It has no transmission - reverse is done electronically through the motor controller (3 phase)
3 phase 135Kw electric motor capable of 12,000 rpm, so 'road speeds' won't even make it breathe hard. Without the controller it would melt the tires in seconds.
European designed chassis (Delta II International)

Bottom line is that this car isn't your fathers GM car. Hell, even the new Malibu isn't your dads GM car. Things have changed with their recent releases and JD Power's owners surveys show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts