Coolant lines outside the micro-meteoroid protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I noticed that in one of the latest spacewalks, the coolant lines for ISS appear to be outside the micro-meteoroid barrier. How big of a problem could that be? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

B

billslugg

Hey - how come the micrometeoroids get cooling, huh! Do expended boosters get it? No! How about pre-solar nebula pristine dust motes? No! And Chinese hypervelocity star wars test impact fragments? I don't THINK SO! What up wit these downtown micrometeoroids huh? Who made them king of the world? Come on - answer THAT one shuttle_guy! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

W

willpittenger

Sorry, I was thinking of meteoroids and orbital debris as one group. Besides, we know that the ammonia can contaminate the interior if on a spacesuit. If an astronaut goes out there to repair that leak (or whatever after the leak happens), redundant cooling lines might not be enough. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

H

henryhallam

A leak on the outside of the station is better than a leak on the inside though, for toxic things. Also if any repairs or changes need to be made to the plumbing, this might be easier with the lines running outside of the MMOD armor.

B

bpfeifer

"If a suit is possibly contaminated with NH3 the crewmen would need to "bake out" in the sun to eliminate the NH3."<br /><br />Have they done a "bake out" already? I think I remember on one spacewalk an astronaut said they thought they saw amonia crystals. I don't remember if they followed that up with the "bake out" procedure or not... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

E

erioladastra

"Have they done a "bake out" already?"<br /><br />Yes, the crew lingers in the sun light. We also take measurements in the airlock before the remove their suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.