Cosmic String Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zavvy

<b>Is It A Cosmic String We're Seeing?</b><br /><br />LINK<br /><br />The case for the existence of cosmic strings has just been boosted. If confirmed, these one-dimensional threads of energy that can span millions of light years could be the first sign of extra dimensions in the universe. Cosmic strings are predicted by string theory. They are gigantic counterparts of the strings that are thought to give rise to the fundamental particles of matter. String theory suggests that our universe may be a three-dimensional island, or "brane", and that the big bang was the result of a collision between our universe and another 3D brane. The collision would have given rise to one-dimensional cosmic strings, and finding such a string would strengthen the theory and support the idea that extra dimensions exist. <br /><br />The immense energy of a cosmic string would warp the space-time around it. If one existed somewhere between us and a distant galaxy, say, the warped space-time would create two possible paths for the light from the galaxy to reach Earth. This would result in two identical images of the galaxy in our sky, just a whisker apart. Last year, that's exactly what Mikhail Sazhin of Capodimonte Astronomical Observatory in Naples, Italy, and the Sternberg Astronomical Institute in Moscow, Russia, and his colleagues found. They named the pair CSL-1 (New Scientist, 18 December 2004, p 30). <br /><br />Many astronomers were sceptical of Sazhin's claim that a string was creating the images. Abraham Loeb of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts, said that CSL-1 is merely two very similar galaxies that happen to be close together. Now, Sazhin's team has presented more evidence that the two images are of the same galaxy. In March, the team used the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope at Paranal, Chile, to record detailed spectra of the tw

L

lunatio_gordin

I hope it is. Brian greene always said the most exciting way to prove string theory would be to spot a giant string. looks like he may get his wish :p

Y

yevaud

Ummm, Cosmic String and String Theory are two entirely different scientific areas. <br /><br />Edit: that is to say, the existence of one doesn't neccessarily prove the validity of the other. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

5stone10

<font color="yellow">merely two very similar galaxies that happen to be close together. Now, Sazhin's team has presented more evidence that the two images are of the same galaxy.</font><br /><br /><br />Why wouldn't this fall under, for instance, the infintessimal Gravitational Lensing objects that have been observed? Why does it have to be a 'Cosmic String' event?

R

robnissen

My guess is that gravitational lensing may have been discounted because there is not an intervening galaxy. Of course, if there were a boatload of dark matter in the way, that could cause gravitational lensing. But even if they have not uncovered a cosmic string, just a "boatload of dark matter" floating outside a galaxy, this would still be very significant research.

L

lunatio_gordin

the article itself says it would significantly benefit the theory.

5stone10

<font color="yellow">there were a boatload of dark matter in the way, that could cause gravitational lensing...</font><br /><br /><br />Now this is making some sense !

C

centsworth_II

A boatload of dark matter, or a galaxy, group of galaxies, black hole, or any other massive 3D object would cause gravitational lensing involving multiple images arranged in an arc or circle around the lens. The theoretical hallmark of gravitational lensing caused by a cosmic string is a pair -- two and only two -- identical images close together. I really don't know much about it, but it seems to me that the nature of the lens -- 3D mass or 1D cosmic string -- is (theoretically) easily determined from the nature of the images it creates. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

5stone10

I bring up the point because quasar Q0957+561A has some of the same characteristics - but had been initially reported as an intermediate galaxy gravitational lens event.

C

centsworth_II

This is all way beyond me. It seems that in cosmology, it's hard to tell if new discoveries are tying things together, or if things are ready to fall apart under their weight. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.