did you check Mars out this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

It was gorgeous! I really wish I'd invested in some filters, though, to bring out the details. Alas, it was cloudy most of the weekend, but I did see it Friday morning. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

Additionally, I just thought "wow, wouldn't it be cool for the MER's to take a look at Earth while we're looking at Mars?" but didn't realize the folly of that thought until I visited their website. Of course, at opposition Earth is not visible from the surface of Mars, because it's only up during the day. (Of course, the same geometry means Mars is, for us, prominent throughout the night.) Still, they've got a nice article about it. I'm posting a picture from that article -- it's a picture of Earth in the Martian sky, taken last May when Earth was in a more favorable position for observation.<br /><br />2005: Earthlings Will Get a Better View of Mars <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

pale_blue_dave

My telescope isn't very good either, but I 'think' I could see one of the polar caps. Could have been wishful thinking though.

M

mpai

We had thin altro-stratus clouds in the skies since the past one week. However, we were able to get Red Planet in our scope. Bright orange, without any visible features though. <br /><br />We expect the sky to clear by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts