DIFFERENT NEWS STORIES ON MARS "ASTEROID 2007 WD5"?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyclonebuster

Why the difference?<br /><br />Alaska researcher changes asteroid orbit <br />Posted : Wed, 09 Jan 2008 04:04:24 GMT <br />Author : Science News Editor <br />Category : Science (Technology) <br />News Alerts by Email click here ) <br /> Create your own RSS <br /> <br />Science Technology News | Home <br /> <br /> <br /><br />ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Jan. 8 An astrophysicist at the University of Alaska uncovered the information that narrowed the odds of an asteroid hitting Mars.<br /><br />Andrew Puckett, who is doing post-doctoral research in Anchorage, found archival NASA data while using the Christmas break as a working vacation, the Anchorage Daily News reported. After he supplied the information to NASA, agency scientists increased the possibility of "Asteroid 2007 WD5" striking Mars from one in 75 to one in 28.<br /><br />http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/171121.html<br /><br /><br />AND??<br /><br />By Tariq Malik<br /><br />updated 5:24 p.m. PT, Tues., Jan. 8, 2008<br />The chances of an asteroid smacking into Mars this month are slipping away as astronomers continue to refine its course toward the Red Planet.<br /><br />The space rock, an asteroid called 2007 WD5, is now expected to miss Mars by about 18,641 miles (30,000 kilometers), according a Tuesday report by NASA's Near Earth Object (NEO) program office.<br /><br />http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22562747/<br /><br />Which one do I believe? 1 in 40 or 1 in 28??

R

robnissen

Interesting articles. But as there as already a thread open on this topic, I cut and pasted part of your post over there. It gets confusing when there are multiple threads discussing the same issues.

M

MeteorWayne

Rather than starting a new thread, you should have included this in the ongoing thread about the asteroid.<br /><br />I will speculate, before this thread is hopefully locked, that the data in the first article was what increased the odds, but as new data continues to be ingested as the asteroid gets closer to Mars, that is reducing the size of the error ellipse. <br /><br />Edited for clarity <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Duplicate thread. Please continue your discussion in the alread active thread on this topic. I will lock this one (link below goes to the current discussion).<br /><br />Link <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts