Earth inside a nebula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wmdragon

Question: what effects would Earth suffer if our solar system was in the middle of a nebula, aside from a colored nightsky and no stars? would the amount of solar energy reaching us decrease by a noticeable amount? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

K

kelle

Think how beautiful it would be to have a dense and colourful nebula smeared across the sky... sigh...<br /><br />But anyway, if Earth had been surrounded by an average nebula, would it look nice and colourful from the Earth surface, or would it just look like some kind of pale ghost thing?

W

wmdragon

would the auroras become more intense, due to higher density of charged particles raining down magnetic fields? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

W

wmdragon

<i>No. Charged partices are a product of the solar wind (or cosmic rays), not interstellar nebula.</i><br /><br />right, but wouldnt some of the nebular particles ionize due to solar energy? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

I

igorsboss

We might be more likely to play a very destructive form of cricket.<br /><br />(An allusion to "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish")

F

fortytwo

Heh, once we flew a craft beyond the nebula and saw all the stars we might say, "It'll have to go."

W

wmdragon

ah yes, this question reminded me of that story <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

The effect would be negligible, in all respects.<br /><br />Great molecular clouds, the densest nebulae around, have an extincion of about 5 magnitudes, when you look through the entire thing, thats light years across.<br /><br />A mere 100 million miles will hardly make a difference though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts