Earth-sized Ice-coverd Rouge/Free Planets

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

That's one of the points. Even if by some method the H and O were disassociated in the lower atmosphere, the lifetime of the separated atoms is seconds since they will recombine to create water again. It's a VERY efficient process. Only in the far outer reaches of the atmosphere is the contact time long enough, and the UV rate of disassociation high enough for oxygen to be liberated and hydrogen swept away.

"
"In fact H2O one part hydrogen and two parts oxygen molecules do get released to form a water vapor atmosphere and as this water vapor enters the stratosphere condenses back to water in the form of attenuation. During this water cycle some of the hydrogen and oxygen ions break free from their bonds as was the case when our earth was primordial."

And what is there is not being returned to the lower atmosphere by "attenuation", whatever that is.

C

centsworth_II

marcel_leonard":iqudyo3t said:
This is my original point...
I don't have time right now to go over it point by point, but almost everything you say in this post is wrong. Stay tuned....

C

centsworth_II

marcel_leonard":begq7c4c said:
....the primordial earth had very little atmosphere at the beginning....
....oxygen but not the amounts needed to sustain life....
....algae/bacteria are living organisms and couldn't have developed on a dead planet just by accident....

Even you have stated the we would have to seed the rogue water world with algae/bacteria just to increase oxygen production. Which makes me think that someone long ago did they same thing for our young earth. Unless you can show how bacteria can exist in a vacuum I don't have a clue as to how this process began on the earth...
The primordial Earth had plenty of atmosphere, just no free oxygen.

Not all life needs oxygen to sustain it. There are many species of bacteria that do not require oxygen. In fact most bacteria on the earth today probably live without oxygen. Most of them beneath the ocean floor. But many bacteria that live without oxygen live in your own body, most of them in your large intestine. Every so often you drop a pound or so of bacteria in the toilet that were living in the absence of oxygen in your gut.

Life arose from complex chemical reactions without oxygen in the air. Life lived and evolved for a billion years with no oxygen in the air. Life lives today in places with no oxygen. But the type of life that lives without oxygen can not get any larger than bacteria. Larger forms of life could not develop until there was oxygen in the air.

At some point, after a billion years of evolution, some mutant bacteria were able to use sunlight to combine water and carbon dioxide to make food for energy. A waste product of this process was oxygen gas. These mutants were very successful because there was a lot of sunlight and water and carbon dioxide for them to use. as the oxygen built up in the air, mutant bacteria which could use the oxygen for energy began to do very well. The "old" bacteria which did not use oxygen -- in fact were killed by it -- could only live in areas where the oxygen could not reach. The oxygen using bacteria lived out in the open and evolved into larger and larger organisms using the energy of oxygen. But the sorts of bacteria living without oxygen are still there, just hidden away.

I said you would have to seed a rogue water world with algae/bacteria just to increase oxygen production because you asked how to do it fast. It took more than two billion Years for Earth to go from a lifeless world to a life-filled one with an oxygen atmosphere.

M

marcel_leonard

MeteorWayne":37424j1u said:
. And what is there is not being returned to the lower atmosphere by "attenuation", whatever that is.

Its means rain, sleat, or snow Genius !!!!

M

MeteorWayne

Uhh, no it doesn't, genius. That's precipitation!!!

Also it's sleet, not sleat.

Also, no precipitation falls from the stratosphere.

That process takes place in the troposphere.

C

centsworth_II

marcel_leonard":adxhzx31 said:
Its means rain, sleat, or snow Genius !!!!
Attenuation \At*ten`u*a"tion\, n.
1. The act or process of making slender, or the state of
being slender; emaciation.

2. The act of attenuating; the act of making thin or less
dense, or of rarefying, as fluids or gases.

3. The process of weakening in intensity; diminution of
virulence; as, the attenuation of virus.

It's not nice to hurl insults in the forum. But if you decide to do it, the smart thing to do would be to look things up first. Especially if you are going to be adding a bunch of !!!!s at the end of your insult.

People are going to stop answering your questions if the answers are met with scorn on your part.

scorn (skôrn)
1. extreme, often indignant, contempt for someone or something; utter disdain
2. expression of this in words or manner
3. the object of such contempt

M

marcel_leonard

centsworth_II":1flu72sv said:
Life arose from complex chemical reactions without oxygen in the air. Life lived and evolved for a billion years with no oxygen in the air. Life lives today in places with no oxygen. But the type of life that lives without oxygen can not get any larger than bacteria. Larger forms of life could not develop until there was oxygen in the air.

I understand that is the currently most excepted theory; however even the most learned Biologist will tell that they don't have a clue as to how Life actually began on this planet. Other than the fact that we need water and a source of energy for life as we know it. Thats one part hydrogen two parts oxygen. So when you say Life began as bacteria I can accept that, but when you say how it began as if you were stating a fact then just like a very trifling, and petty message-board moderator I will have pick your argument apart instead actually discussing the topic at hand...

N

neuvik

marcel_leonard":3d1h0p1l said:
In fact H2O one part hydrogen and two parts oxygen molecules ...

I'll let you have one derp.

marcel_leonard":3d1h0p1l said:
Other than the fact that we need water and a source of energy for life as we know it. Thats one part hydrogen two parts oxygen.

derp derp!

Really now...really?

M

marcel_leonard

MeteorWayne":15t3uink said:
Yes, I'm exceptional ;)

For the first time I find myself in whole hearted agreement w/ you......you are by far the most exceptionally petty man I ever met :lol:

M

MeteorWayne

marcel_leonard":3qlieaik said:
MeteorWayne":3qlieaik said:
Yes, I'm exceptional ;)

For the first time I find myself in whole hearted agreement w/ you......you are by far the most exceptionally petty man I ever met :lol:

Look, I haven't called you names, and I'd suggest you don't call me names. I have pointed out obvious errors and your misunderstandings in your posts...repeatedly, since there are so many to choose from.

But I have not called you {self censored} or {self censored}....yet.

M

marcel_leonard

Back to subject at hand:

It was mentioned earlier that by someone that we should seed the oceans of the now water covered rogue to start the process of oxygen enriching the atmosphere w/ algae/bacteria...

Is there a special type of bacteria here that would do an exceptionally better job than the others; if so than how to go about producing enough of it to produce a global atmospheric effect? Also how would go you about sending such an agent from the earth? I remember a movie called "Red Planet" starring Val Killmer were they bombared the Martian surface w/ bacteria laced nuclear warheads, my guess would be that such an attempt would kill any bacteria which was able to survive the trip???

O

origin

marcel_leonard":31he1efm said:
Back to subject at hand:

It was mentioned earlier that by someone that we should seed the oceans of the now water covered rogue to start the process of oxygen enriching the atmosphere w/ algae/bacteria...

Is there a special type of bacteria here that would do an exceptionally better job than the others; if so than how to go about producing enough of it to produce a global atmospheric effect? Also how would go you about sending such an agent from the earth? I remember a movie called "Red Planet" starring Val Killmer were they bombared the Martian surface w/ bacteria laced nuclear warheads, my guess would be that such an attempt would kill any bacteria which was able to survive the trip???

I have some ideas on that but your attitude is so horrible and you just reject the answers anyway, so why would I want to respond in any useful way to you? (The answer is wouldn't).

M

marcel_leonard

origin":spw6oiln said:
marcel_leonard":spw6oiln said:
Back to subject at hand:

I have some ideas on that but your attitude is so horrible and you just reject the answers anyway, so why would I want to respond in any useful way to you? (The answer is wouldn't).

Was it really necessary or logical to respond to my post when in fact your real objective was not to respond at all; in the immortal words of Mr. Spock "fascinating"............ ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.