Earth-sized Ice-coverd Rouge/Free Planets

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcel_leonard

My 3 questions to the Forum is this.........1.) Is it possible for a Earth-sized ice covered Rough Planet to move into a Goldie-lock-zone-orbit around our Sun??? 2.) Would this have adverse effects on the Earth because of changes in the Solar systems gravity well? 3.) Could this lead to us being able to terraform it into a Earth like planet? :D

M

MeteorWayne

Since the answer to #1 for Rouge (sic) or Rough (sic) planets is no, the other two questions are moot.

M

marcel_leonard

MeteorWayne":1zbduhp2 said:
Since the answer to #1 for Rouge (sic) or Rough (sic) planets is no, the other two questions are moot.

You forgot to explain to those who don't know what you know; why it is not physically possible for a Rouge Planet to be captured in a habitable zone orbit???

S

silylene

Isn't Mars generally considered to be the "rouge" planet? It certainly has that appearance.

B

BreezyJ

MeteorWayne":37mrrmmi said:
I wouldn't think #2, or #3 would be very likely to happen, but I was curious as to why you say it can't happen? ( getting trapped in an orbit anywhere near our system's 3 that are near the GL-zone)

Is it because if it was able to escape it's previous host then it would likely be moving to fast to be caught, or anything along those lines?

If not I guess I'm just not understanding why it couldn't possibly drift into another system and get caught in an orbit again?

M

MeteorWayne

Basic Physics. I mean REALLY basic physics.

The velocity difference is to great for a planet to capture an object coming from outside the solar system.

Besides, a Rouge planet is too red to be captured. :)

M

MeteorWayne

BreezyJ":5aambxgb said:
Is it because if it was able to escape it's previous host then it would likely be moving to fast to be caught, or anything along those lines?

That is correct.

M

marcel_leonard

MeteorWayne":16l16cd4 said:
BreezyJ":16l16cd4 said:

That is correct.

Isn't that why the Solar System is a shooting gallery for comets and asteroids; and why it even more plausible for a Rough Planet to enter a GL-Zone orbit...

M

MeteorWayne

No, No, and No.
The comets and asteroids that might hit earth are part of the solar system. Every object found so far orbits the sun...it does not come from outside the solar system.

Besides, Rough planets and Rouge planets are too sparse in the galaxy to have any reasonable chance of entering the solar system. Not that it's impossible, but it sure ain't a shooting gallery since NONE have ever been found.

D

duluthdave

MeteorWayne":p1ma96e8 said:
BreezyJ":p1ma96e8 said:

That is correct.

Actually no, that's not correct. Solar system escape velocity is based on the mass of the star. If an object was ejected from a system with a star significantly less massive than the sun (which most stars are), it's velocity could be well within the range that would let it be captured within our solar system. Of course there are several other factors that would make such a capture extremely unlikely, but velocity wouldn't necessarily be the problem.

S

silylene

There should be a much higher population of rouge and rough and ruff! planets within the star-packed core of a dense globular cluster. I would think the complex gravitational pertubations of that particular environment would send many planets flying. Much more so than the very sparse star environment our sun is within.

M13:
m13.jpg

M

marcel_leonard

duluthdave":3t3grbxr said:
MeteorWayne":3t3grbxr said:
BreezyJ":3t3grbxr said:

That is correct.

Actually no, that's not correct. Solar system escape velocity is based on the mass of the star. If an object was ejected from a system with a star significantly less massive than the sun (which most stars are), it's velocity could be well within the range that would let it be captured within our solar system. Of course there are several other factors that would make such a capture extremely unlikely, but velocity wouldn't necessarily be the problem.

Finally someone who knows thier physics........ :lol:

S

SpaceTas

If the more chaotic planet formation ideas are widespread there should be a detectable population of rouge planets. There have been claims that candidates more massive than Jupiter have already been found from IR surveys of star forming regions. Microlensing surveys have many potential candidates down to Earth like masses, but these events last less than a day, so it is very hard to do the intense observations needed to have a hope of measuring the mass.

But even if there were one free floating red, blue or spotted planet for every star, an encounter with any solar system anywhere in the galaxy would be a rare event SPACE IS BIG.

Yes there will be many with velocities less than the escape velocity of the Sun especially since there are many more stars less massive than the Sun than more massive than the Sun. But to capture the free floater in the goldilocks zone requires having its velocity match the orbital velocity within the zone. Much more likely is a very elliptical orbit, like long period comets.

Note: no comet/asteroid has ever been shown to have an extra-solar velocity. Smaller objects like comets tend to be a lot more common than big ones like planets .... back to SPACE IS BIG

A

Astro_Robert

I would also think that incoming angle would be a huge limiting factor. Most long period comets that become short period comets, have interactions with Jupiter. But these are solar system bodies whose orbits lie within or close to the plane of the solar system.

Rogue objects are much more likely to to have orbital planes outside of the plane of the solar system which would make any interactions capable of circularizing an orbit (or assisting in capture) highly unlikely. I would guess that the probable outcome of a solar encounter with such an object be that the rogue gets ejected back out into space, falls into the sun, or captured in a VERY long very elliptical orbit.

S

silylene

Our location on the outer edge of an arm of the Milky Way means the star density is rather sparse. As I said earlier, unless you are in the center of a high density star cluster, the chance of encounter with a (sic) rouge or rough star is extremely rare. Even within a star cluster, where orbits are more chaotic, the chances of rouge encounters is still low.

(Despite the fact that Mars has been called the rouge planet.)

C

centsworth_II

marcel_leonard":1tucw2lw said:
It also helps to know your English. :lol:
You may be missing out on some of the jokes if you don't realize that:
a) You used "rouge" (red) in the title.
b) You used "rough" (rugged) in your posts.
c) You did not use "rogue" (runaway) anywhere, that I saw.

In any case, a rough, rouge, rogue planet captured by the sun would certainly be in a highly elliptical orbit, which is not a Goldilocks situation.

S

silylene

centsworth_II":24quzw13 said:
marcel_leonard":24quzw13 said:

Shhhh. The title of this thread 'Earth-sized Ice-coverd Rouge/Free Planets' (sic) frames its content quite well.

M

marcel_leonard

centsworth_II":3djfywfa said:
marcel_leonard":3djfywfa said:

In any case, a rough, rouge, rogue planet captured by the sun would certainly be in a highly elliptical orbit, which is not a Goldilocks situation.

I appreciate the spell checking, but I still don't understand why you don't think its possible for a rogue body to become capture in a GL orbit around the sun???

M

marcel_leonard

silylene":28241ixc said:
centsworth_II":28241ixc said:
marcel_leonard":28241ixc said:

Shhhh. The title of this thread 'Earth-sized Ice-coverd Rouge/Free Planets' (sic) frames its content quite well.

Still I think that having an earth sized ice covered rogue body offers the best possibility for terraforming an earth-like environment...

M

marcel_leonard

Astro_Robert":22eeslm0 said:
I would also think that incoming angle would be a huge limiting factor. Most long period comets that become short period comets, have interactions with Jupiter. But these are solar system bodies whose orbits lie within or close to the plane of the solar system.

Rogue objects are much more likely to to have orbital planes outside of the plane of the solar system which would make any interactions capable of circularizing an orbit (or assisting in capture) highly unlikely. I would guess that the probable outcome of a solar encounter with such an object be that the rogue gets ejected back out into space, falls into the sun, or captured in a VERY long very elliptical orbit.

Let us say that this long elliptical orbit could artificially be captured by some technology that we don't currently have as of yet. How likely is it that we could terraform a ice covered rogue planet consider that now that it has an orbit in the GL zone that the ice would melt creating oceans/atmosphere???

M

moreandless

We might be shocked at the quantities of rogue worlds flung thruout the galaxy by the processes
of solar system formation and death; galactic collisions and mergers. the possibilities are nearly endless
and dangerous. advanced civilizations will certainly have threaded the eye of the needle. Greek myths
suggest that Venus "sprang out of Zues' head"...i don't know about that but it sure seems as if some
trauma has occurred there (global resurfacing) in the not too distant past.

M

marcel_leonard

moreandless":2lgjixos said:
We might be shocked at the quantities of rogue worlds flung thruout the galaxy by the processes
of solar system formation and death; galactic collisions and mergers. the possibilities are nearly endless
and dangerous. advanced civilizations will certainly have threaded the eye of the needle. Greek myths
suggest that Venus "sprang out of Zues' head"...i don't know about that but it sure seems as if some
trauma has occurred there (global resurfacing) in the not too distant past.

There theorist out that believe that the Earth was once an ice covered rogue originating from the Ort Cloud???

C

centsworth_II

*Venus "sprang out of Zeus' head
*Earth was once an ice covered rogue originating from the Ort Cloud

Two theories with equal probability of being correct.

M

MeteorWayne

marcel_leonard":1xwv65vd said:
There theorist out that believe that the Earth was once an ice covered rogue originating from the Ort Cloud???

Huh? Which one? I've never heard anyone seriously suggest that or provide a mechanism for it to happem.

M

marcel_leonard

MeteorWayne":2lbo0mhr said:
marcel_leonard":2lbo0mhr said:

Huh? Which one? I've never heard anyone seriously suggest that or provide a mechanism for it to happem.

Are you saying that it is not probable???

Status
Not open for further replies.