FAA approves Cecil Field spaceport

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Cecil Field is a former NAS near Jacksonville...

Link....

Florida's Cecil Field wins FAA spaceport approval

The Federal Aviation Authority has approved a space launch license for Cecil Field in Jacksonville, making it the state's first spaceport designed to lure space tourism business.

Read a copy of the FAA approval here.(PDF)
>
"We're extremely excited and very much looking to the future to work with potential operators," said Todd Lindner, administrator of planning, grants and environmental programs for the Jacksonville Aviation Authority, which began the application process in 2005.

The license allows Cecil Field to support horizontal launches by reusable vehicles like Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo and others in development that would take off like planes and launch suborbital flights over the Atlantic Ocean.
>

B

bdewoody

In my early teens my Dad was in the Navy and later worked for Martin Co. He worked with Marine aviation in getting the Bullpup AGM operational at Cecil Field. I think it is now an industrial park. I heard a rumor recently that the Navy was considering closing Oceana in Virginia and moving the F-18 squadrons to Cecil Field thereby partially reopening the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.