Falcon 1 Nut Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

barrykirk

Well, we got our first minimal update about the Falcon 1 rocket. I'm looking forward to more info coming soon...<br />Hopefully....

C

crix

At first I was surpised that they had chosen to go with an anodized aluminum nut over a simple SSTL nut. But then it occured to me that this is probably the result of aggresive weight minimization. Definately have to watch out for galvanic corrosion. <br /><br />Also surprising that DARPA participated in the failure analysis. I would think that would be strictly inhouse.

J

josh_simonson

Of course now they're replacing all the aluminum nuts with SS nuts, and the galvanic corrosion problem could work the other way if a SS nut is against an Al tank...

P

propforce

Like I said in the other thread, this is due to their inexperience. <br /><br />But they are coming up on the learning curve. Good for SpaceX. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

I’m still not convinced LockMart didn’t sabotage them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

B

barrykirk

Now for the next question, are the bolts SS or aluminum?

H

henryhallam

<font color="yellow"><br />It makes one wonder how many notes they scribbled on aluminum panels using a regular pencil...?</font><br /><br />Does this cause problems?

C

cretan126

The failed misson was a launch contracted and paid for by DARPA under their FALCON program. Anytime there is a failure under a Government contract, the responsible agency is obligated to have a failure investigation. The Air Force also participated. If it had been 'in house' with SpaceX, they would have just been drinking their own bathwater. So, the Government had an independent investigation, implicitly investing taxpayer money in the devleopment of the Falcon I, and awarded a follow-on demonstration launch. I would surmise Falcon I is no longer purely a "privately developed" launch vehicle - there has now been substantial Government investment, although I haven't seen the value. Maybe that is part of how Elon can claim they will be "cash flow positive' this year.

W

webtaz99

I have to wonder if anyone at SpaceX ever called the NASA geeks (I don't use that term derogatorily, I respect them) about LOX storage and use. They do have rather a lot of experience. <br /><br />One key to space development is cooperation. As in how Russian and US docking rings are now inter-operable. It's fine for companies to protect proprietary aspects of what they're doing, but a certain level of knowledge exchange is vital. And even if NASA is declining on the hardware side, they have a vast repository of working knowledge available. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

magick58

It makes one wonder how many notes they scribbled on aluminum panels using a regular pencil...? <br /><br />Does this cause problems? <br /><br /><br />Yes it does if you remember the Honolulu flight that turned an airliner in to a convertible. That was caused by a pencil line. Also same thing happened to a Piper arrow the blade came apart due to a pencil line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts