favorite sci-fi movies that I have seen - all time

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

jim48":13y5ci6c said:
Sorry, Zen. Logan's Run was released in 1976. Interesting score by Jerry Goldsmith. A year later it was a short-lived tv show on CBS.

You're quite right. I stand corrected. I could've sworn I saw it when I was 11, but I must've been 13.

Oh well, at least you know that I'm not a google scholar who runs to Wiki for all my info. I think production started in 1974 though, and it was released in '76. At any rate, it still pre-dates 'Star Wars'.

In the remake that's in the works, they're going back to more of the storyline in the book, with everyone having to die at 21, instead of 30. Typical. They're going to gear it to kids and teenagers, and probably screw it up. They should make "Lastday" 40, IMO, since people are living much longer today than they were in 1967 when Nolan wrote the book. But 30 would still be better than 21.

In the case of 'Logan's Run', this was one the few instances where, IMO, the screenplay and film were better than the original book.

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":37lytdhe said:
jim48":37lytdhe said:
Sorry, Zen. Logan's Run was released in 1976. Interesting score by Jerry Goldsmith. A year later it was a short-lived tv show on CBS.

You're quite right. I stand corrected. I could've sworn I saw it when I was 11, but I must've been 13.

Oh well, at least you know that I'm not a google scholar who runs to Wiki for all my info. I think production started in 1974 though, and it was released in '76. At any rate, it still pre-dates 'Star Wars'.

In the remake that's in the works, they're going back to more of the storyline in the book, with everyone having to die at 21, instead of 30. Typical. They're going to gear it to kids and teenagers, and probably screw it up. They should make "Lastday" 40, IMO, since people are living much longer today than they were in 1967 when Nolan wrote the book. But 30 would still be better than 21.

In the case of 'Logan's Run', this was one the few instances where, IMO, the screenplay and film were better than the original book.

Never read the novel, and that's back when sci-fi was about all I read. Why do a re-make? The original was good enough. Any excuse to show of CGI, I supppose.

Z

ZenGalacticore

jim48":8ttrutjk said:
Never read the novel, and that's back when sci-fi was about all I read. Why do a re-make? The original was good enough. Any excuse to show of CGI, I supppose.

Mainly because of $$$$$$. But also- as should be obvious-- they can't think of anything new hardly ever. But as far as the $$$$ goes, they often times think they have a sure-thing with a remake of an originally successful film. Of course, they are often times dead wrong about that, 'Planet of the Apes' remake is a case in point.

I'd wager mule butts to navy beans that they'll totally screw up a 'Logan' remake. They def shouldn't go strictly with the original novel. It was not a bad book, mind you, it just wouldn't work on the screen. Too much baggage.

The original film worked well because of the light and dark, sinister and good. (Not to mention the performances of York, Agutter, Jordan, and Ustinov). They will surely screw up that simple creative device by overdoing everything. And I doubt they'll have actors of the same caliber as the above mentioned.

C

crazyeddie

Well, since this is a list of each member's personal favorites, and not an objective list, here's the ones I never miss if they are broadcast, and also the ones I liked well enough to buy.....in no particular order:

Contact
The Iron Giant
Forbidden Planet
The Incredibles
It Came From Outer Space
2010: Odyssey Two
Back to the Future, Part III
Aliens
The Thing (From Another World), 1951
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
The Abyss
The Andromeda Strain
Fantastic Voyage
Stargate
When Worlds Collide
War of the Worlds (1953 version)
Starman
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Quatermass and the Pit (a.k.a "5 Million Miles to Earth")

Y

yevaud

Damn, I forgot about the last two you mentioned.

Quatermass was Da Bomb. What was the US title? Six Million Years to Earth? What a film!

C

crazyeddie

yevaud":33ie3n6s said:
Damn, I forgot about the last two you mentioned.

Quatermass was Da Bomb. What was the US title? Six Million Years to Earth? What a film!

Oops, yer right, it was "Five Million Years to Earth", not Five Million Miles..... :oops:

G

Gravity_Ray

crazyeddie":1kcmiqym said:
Well, since this is a list of each member's personal favorites, and not an objective list, here's the ones I never miss if they are broadcast, and also the ones I liked well enough to buy.....in no particular order:

Contact
The Iron Giant
Forbidden Planet
The Incredibles
It Came From Outer Space
2010: Odyssey Two
Back to the Future, Part III
Aliens
The Thing (From Another World), 1951
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
The Abyss
The Andromeda Strain
Fantastic Voyage
Stargate
When Worlds Collide
War of the Worlds (1953 version)
Starman
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Quatermass and the Pit (a.k.a "5 Million Miles to Earth")

I really loved Stargate (1994) and Starman (1984). I almost took the two star wars movies out (my favorite is empire strikes back) and put these two in, but couldn’t break up the trilogy.

Contact and the Incredible is another two that are just wonderful and deserve to be owned.

You really liked The Abyss? I don’t know, the movie was OK, but the ending was so inane I walked out of that movie saying; Huh?

C

crazyeddie

Gravity_Ray":3wf5ivma said:
[
You really liked The Abyss? I don’t know, the movie was OK, but the ending was so inane I walked out of that movie saying; Huh?

Did you see the original version, or the director's cut? The director's cut restored a lot of footage that made the ending make sense, but added a lot of length to the film. I do not recommend the original version.

A

a_lost_packet_

crazyeddie":22ykovoe said:
...Did you see the original version, or the director's cut? The director's cut restored a lot of footage that made the ending make sense, but added a lot of length to the film. I do not recommend the original version.

I saw the Director's Cut (used to own it) and remember that it did add a lot of footage, especially of the aliens' ship and the encounter there. I don't understand why that was cut from the movie. It seemed like a mistake in editing to me. Somewhere, whoever was in charge of continuity was asleep on the cutting room floor.

H

HRacct

Mission to Mars was much better then the other movie that came out that summer. Red Planet, I think it was, the one with Val Kilmer. I just liked the plot much better in Mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts