Favorite sci-fi movies that I have NOT seen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kelvinzero

A list of all time favorites is fine, but of course we have all seen them. :)

How about a list of science fiction movies that are worth watching, but rare enough that others may have missed?

By worth watching, I just mean B+ grade. It might have just one or two elements that make it memorable. Certainly easier than listing all the Sci-fi not worth watching!

Off the top of my head, some that I met just recently so they may not actually prove all that memorable.

• Them - I just watched this again recently and noticed how many ideas were later borrowed by 'Aliens'
  • Fire and Ice - Animated, inspired by Frank Frazetta art. Heroine spends movie in bikini generally being carried off by apemen. Well I think that is a recommendation.
  • Repo! The genetic opera - Odd. Anthony Head disembowels a few people while they all sing Opera.
  • Kaena - computer animated.
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I really liked this. I guess it is hardly B-grade with Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst and Elijah Wood.. but you might have missed that it was an SF.
  • The adventures of Pluto Nash -.. Ok.. so your reaction may be "OMG! Worst movie ever!" But what interested me is it was actually set on the moon. It actually mentioned words like Sinuous Rille and Mascon. Apart from silly comedy elments it was almost a plausible hard sf. and this is almost unheard of since people got bored with apollo and started watching startrek.

I guess that the dedicated Scifi consumer has already encountered most of these. There is probably a lot more names I could dig up.. much larger than the set of block busters anyway.

What can you recommend that I might not have seen?

A

a_lost_packet_

Good idea for a thread.. Hmm, lemme see...

Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within: Good 3D Animation, top notch for its time. A decent and pretty unique storyline. While not "riveting" it's a pretty neat concept.

Titan A.E. - Animated - A pretty good storyline though sort of a ripoff of Treasure Island. A good milieu with decent characters.

Ice Pirates - (Comedy) - Good comedy sci-fi is hard to find. Ice Pirates does a fair job at it.

(Going through a few lists online to cover some highlights)

Planet of the Apes - (Any of them) - While they're not all great movies, they're all good IMO and well worth watching on a Sunday afternoon.

The Andromeda Strain (1971) - An excellent film. One of my favorites. A thriller virus/plague/whodunnit.

THX 1138 - Another one of my favorites and George Lucas' first film.

Silent Running - Another favorite. The first color flick where non-humanoid robots were developed into workable characters with an emotional push. (That I know of.) A good storyline if you're willing to suspend a little bit of disbelief.

Sleeper - Woody Allen - A decent comedy flick if you like Woody films.

A Boy and His Dog - It's been quite awhile since I've seen it but, I remember it to be pretty good. An adaption of a Harlan Ellison story.

The Island of Dr. Moreau
- The original with Michael York. Great story and better than the remake, IMO.

Wizards - Animated - Ralph Bakshi's work is always great. I loved this flick when it came out. Hard sci-fi with some adult themes so, don't let the youngsters watch it just because it's animated. (Bakshi did a lot of animated films like that.)

(That's it for now. Leaving room for others. :) )

Y

yevaud

I agree, an excellent thread topic.

Liquid Sky: Possibly one of the oddest movies from the early Punk era, involving a randy young punk-rocking woman, sex, and aliens. Pure camp.

Heavy Metal Movie: Featuring animated works from some of the finest (of that time) science fiction/fantasy artists (Mobius, Corbin, etc.).

Event Horizon: A damned strange SF movie, I can tell you. Suspenseful, but in a slightly different way than most "horror/SF" films.

Outland: Sean Connery as the Marshall of an Outer System mining camp? Excellent!

Dark Star: If you have never seen this movie, then you have failed in your task of seeing the greatest SF movies of all time. Simply a must.

The Puppet Masters: We all know that Starship Troopers was an utter perversion of the original Heinlein book. Puppet Masters (starring Donald Sutherland) is the real deal, and is almost perfectly faithful to Heinlein's chilling novel.

Things to Come: one of THE classic B&W movies, based on the HG Wells story of the same name.

J

jim48

Some obscure films listed above. Hmm. Dark Star actually had a midnight reefer movie following until be overtaken by Rocky Horror. I saw Wizards when it was first released and thought it was kewel! The original Dr. Moreau starred Charles Laughton. I saw Ice Pirates when it was released and totally forgot about it until now. I agree that Things to Come is a classic. Silent Running reflected the '70s ecology movement and was filmed aboard the aircraft carrier Valley Forge. It was also popular at Star Trek cons back then. A Boy and His Dog was another midnight reefer movie favorite, Outland was High Noon in sci fi and they never should have made more than one Planet of the Apes movie, IMO, but I saw them all when I was a kid. Our local theater used to do Apes marathons! :D

H

HRacct

Interesting idea for a fact.
Movies I have not seen, or wondered why I did see, would have to include

Titan A.E., was told it was a great movie, but never got around to it.
Open Season, tho not S.F., was told by several how funny it was.
Wall-E- Now, there was a movie I did have to wonder why I was watching it. I saw it on Direct T.V., but honestly did wonder what all the fuss was about. It had some interesting parts to it, but that was all. When I said this at a work place, I almost was killed on the spot. Oh Well!!!
Sphere- IMO was one of the better, if not a great storyline, of ALL TIME. I was excited to be able to see it, but was not able until about three weeks after it opened, and it was already off the marque. When I was able to rent it, I was so disappointed in the way they produced it, I did not even watch all of it. I have read that book 2-3 times and had it on tape, and gave it out to a friend so they could listen to it as much as I did. What a waste of a book. But it has been years since I was on this site, and have already said much about it back then.

But it is good to be able to chat with all of you again. Henry

K

kelvinzero

haha.. I guess that would be an interesting topic.. But what I meant was movies you liked that I might not have seen..

..Im just scrounging for new remotely worthwhile stuff to hunt down and watch! :)

btw (and this is embarrassing) of those listed so far.. I think I have watched all of them except Liquid Sky and Wizards :)
And that sounds like just my sort of rubbish too! I will have to track that down..

Did anyone mention Repo Man ?

Y

yevaud

No, no one yet, but another damned fine choice.

The Brother From Another Planet: Pure Camp

Starman: Best line of all - "Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very, very fast!"

Dune: As cryptic and choppy as it is, still a fine version of Frank Herbert's seminal novel.

Videodrome: Exploding heads, anyone?

The Final Countdown: I cheered when the F-14 took down the Zero. Did you?!

Freejack: Another really funny in-joke...where Buster Poindexter (David Johanssen) has a poster on the wall saying "The Rolling Stones 2032 Steel Wheelchairs Tour."

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension: What can I say? Another early 80s campy movie. And anything that features John Lithgow as a mad genius has to be great!

Re-Animator: HP Lovecraft, anyone?

J

jim48

Responding to the above: I saw The Final Countdown and Buckaroo Banzai! when they were first released. The Final Countdown was so bad it was good, IMO. Good cast but the real stars were the the planes and the U.S.S. Nimitz aircraft carrier. I didn't get Banzai and I still don't. Can anyone tell me what that movie is about? Looks like it should have been a series like Planet of the Apes or Indiana Jones but few understood it so no sequel.

Y

yevaud

Ah, Buckaroo was really merely a good guy/bad guy flick, made weird. I agree with you there, it should have been a series, and then it may have made more sense.

Similar to Remo Williams: the Adventure Begins.

A

a_lost_packet_

Howard the Duck, anyone?

howard_the_duck_5.20473807_std.jpg

(80's chicks are so slutty... gotta love 'em)

H

HRacct

Kelvin,

Your update would explain your title a little better, because I was wondering how a show could be a favorite if you had never seen it.

But what is old for one person, may not be old for another. An example would be, did you ever get to see A.I.? I was able to take the whole family to it, including mom in law, and almost had to apologize for it. It did not turn out to be what I thot it would be. There were some good parts, but not the whole.

As to Final Countdown, I enjoyed the storyline, and how would a modern battleship handle such an occasion as that. I was surprised a few months back when Walmart had a DVD of it for sale. What was funny was they tried, and I do mean tried, to include a commentary with it. It was an assistant to an assistant, I think, who tried to talk about a 20 year old movie. But I got it for the show anyway.

K

kelvinzero

A.I would probably not fit in this category because it is too well known. Among us oldies anyway..

S

StarRider1701

kelvinzero":1mb8ve1m said:
[*]The adventures of Pluto Nash -.. Ok.. so your reaction may be "OMG! Worst movie ever!"

No, Pluto Nash was at least funny, worst movie ever was Hitchhikers Guide...

H

HRacct

I've found there are two kinds of reactions to the movie Hitchhiker's Guide, one that says yeah, I get it, and one that says, so what or huh? At that time I had just read the Restaurant at the end of the Universe, but was interested in it. So, my nephew and I went to see it, and he filled me in on the parts I missed about it.

But I have enjoyed it because it IS quirky and different. I have the DVD and have watched just about everything on it. In fact, when I was lurking here last Sat. nite, I was watching it with the director's commentary on. Now, what is strange is the book. I read it after the movie, and literally looked to see if I was missing some pages because of how different the ending was.

G

Gravity_Ray

Its not sci-fi Kelvin but fiction and a great movie many people havent seen. Excalibur. Great soundtrack too.

M

Mee_n_Mac

How about the 60's flick Robinson Crusoe on Mars ? I can't recall the last time I saw it but it's a good B grade movie. I suppose it's more modern verson, Enemy Mine is too well known.

How about Marooned ? Has it been mentioned ?

What the concensus on Saturn 3 ? Horrible flick made passable by a naked Farrah Fawcett ? Naaah, I thought not as well.

BTW : Them! was a great flick ! Some others have mentioned films I've not seen ... good thread.

EDIT : How about Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone for campy fun. And the only movie that ever made Molly Ringwald look sexy. How about Screamers ? Too well known ?

And one I have only seen twice .... The Quiet Earth. I love a good end of the world flick.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Gravity_Ray":aisr25l5 said:
Its not sci-fi Kelvin but fiction and a great movie many people havent seen. Excalibur. Great soundtrack too.

How about Krull ? It's kinda Arthurian and kinda SciFi.

H

HRacct

Robinson Crusoe(?), now that is a show I haven't even thot of in a l-o-n-g while. It is definately a B movie but I would watch it again as possible. I am still new to this message board, and have forgotten the other shows I saw in the posts. Will get back to you with it.

Yes, I am responsible for the next post. My apoligies to Me-in-Mac for destroying that post.

H

HRacct

Sorry about the appearance of this post. I tried to be like everyone else, but got lost in this post, trying to respond to it and remember it all at the same time.

Mee_n_Mac":3uuphug7 said:
How about the 60's flick Robinson Crusoe on Mars ? I can't recall the last time I saw it but it's a good B grade movie. I suppose it's more modern verson, Enemy Mine is too well known.

How about Marooned ? Has it been mentioned ?

HRacct=I do remember watching that one one summer night when I was a summer missionary from college. It may have been alright for 11 P.M., but as I think of it, not to much in the cold light of day.

What the concensus on Saturn 3 ? Horrible flick made passable by a naked Farrah Fawcett ? Naaah, I thought not as well.

BTW : Them! was a great flick ! Some others have mentioned films I've not seen ... good thread.

HRacct-Them, now that is a classic for the time. I have read post of people here that said that was impossible, but for the idea of it, and the time it came from, not to bad

EDIT : How about Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone for campy fun. And the only movie that ever made Molly Ringwald look sexy. How about Screamers ? Too well known ?

HRaccts=How about The Tinglerwith Vincent Price. I could not remember the name of it until a good samaritan gave it to me. That one is about a scientist who scares a deaf women bad enough and she cannot scream, so the tingler comes out.

And one I have only seen twice .... The Quiet Earth. I love a good end of the world flick.

HRaccts=This one reminds me of a book where most of the people of earth disappears and the rest of the people have to adapt to the situation and conditions they find themselves in. Earth Abides is the name of it now that I think of it.

Y

yevaud

Ah, you made me remember a true classic - pure camp.

The Abominable Doctor Phibes, and Doctor Phibes Rises Again. Vincent Price at his weirdest, oddest, most sinister best!

H

HRacct

There were some good ones of the time. Pure B movies for a fact, but great none the less. I have several recorded on VHS, (ancient I know, but I AM older then dirt). Dr. Cyclops, Journey to Far Side of the Sun, and several others I would have to get the tape out to see. Some were really fun to see, and others seemed to be intense or deep or almost down in spirit, as I remember them.

M

Mee_n_Mac

HRacct":1bb910gj said:
Yes, I am responsible for the next post. My apoligies to Me-in-Mac for destroying that post.

No need for apologies.

As for more "forgotten classics" .... given some of the recommendations I wonder if Tank Girl might fit in ? Personally I think it's trash but if you're really drunk it might be worth a watch. I can give a somewhat higher recommendation to Damnation Alley or even better to Cherry 2000 but I'm guessing these are too well known to be on the missed list.

Recently I saw It! The Terror from Beyond Space. It was fairly lame but I watched it. A not-that-scary 50's version of Alien I guess. Apparently there's only 1 accepted way to kill an alien monster stowed away on your spaceship.

Lastly I can highly recommend On the Beach. Though it's not what I'd generally call SF, it does deal with an alternate "future" (given when it was filmed) and so it has a bit of a hint of SF bloodline in it. I wanted to have a least 1 movie with both "thumbs up".

C

CalliArcale

a_lost_packet_":1l7r8hx4 said:
A Boy and His Dog - It's been quite awhile since I've seen it but, I remember it to be pretty good. An adaption of a Harlan Ellison story.

It's good. It's a bit different from the story, but if memory serves, Ellison wrote the screenplay as well, so that's all intentional. Also made me look at Jason Robards a bit differently, whom I'd previously mostly known from "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (which I will say more about shortly).

yevaud":1l7r8hx4 said:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension: What can I say? Another early 80s campy movie. And anything that features John Lithgow as a mad genius has to be great!

Awesome suggestion! This is a cult classic, and it's very very . . . odd. All the aliens are named John (even the women). They had a race war, which is now playing out in New Jersey. It's bizarre, but excellent too. Not exactly a spoof; it's more of a send-up of the B movie genre as well as comic books, though it goes in other directions too. Banzai himself is ludicrously qualified -- rock star, neurosurgeon, physicist, and crime-fighter, all at once. He's played totally deadpan by Peter Weller. It was intended to become a series (though that makes it rather puzzling that they killed off Rawhide, who is also the narrator, played by Clancy Brown) but didn't. The DVD release includes a making-of film that explains that it is actually a documentary, and there's also a website pretending the same; the producers seem to avoid at all costs admitting that it's fictional, even though it's so off-the-wall strange. The key is to not take it too seriously.

HRacct":1l7r8hx4 said:
I've found there are two kinds of reactions to the movie Hitchhiker's Guide, one that says yeah, I get it, and one that says, so what or huh? At that time I had just read the Restaurant at the end of the Universe, but was interested in it. So, my nephew and I went to see it, and he filled me in on the parts I missed about it.

Hitchhiker's Guide has been many things. It was a radio show, a TV miniseries, a text-adventure computer game, a series of novels, a towel, and now a motion picture. In each incarnation, it changed, often drastically, so when people complain that it's not faithful, this is mainly because they only know one of the other incarnations and have made the assumption that it is the "true" one. But according to Douglas Adams, this is not so. There is no definitive version. They are all different. In fact, the most radical departures from previous incarnations in the movie are from Douglas Adams himself -- he was writing the script when he died, so although the script is credited to the man hired to finish it, it's really Adams' work. I liked it, personally, though it took a bit of adjustment to accept an American accent for Ford Prefect.

Some other movies that come to mind....

The Day the Earth Stood Still The 1951 original, specifically, starring Michael Rennie and with a score that leans heavily on a theremin. It's a very good movie, about an alien who comes to Earth at the height of Cold War paranoia, to deliver a message. But the message can only be given to all the world at once, which presents logistical and diplomatic problems, so while that gets sorted out, Klaatu decides to go mingle with the humans to learn about them, much to the alarm of his US Army handlers. The special effects hold up remarkably well (largely because they were used sparingly), and although many elements (including the theremin) will seem cliched, this is actually the movie that got them started.

Something Wicked This Way Comes Some would call this a horror movie rather than SF, but it's by Ray Bradbury, and I think fits in the category nicely. It's actually pretty scary for a Disney film, and suitable for children as long as they can duck behind the couch as needed. It tells the story of two boys in small town America in the early part of the 20th Century who become enthralled when a traveling carnival arrives in town -- oddly, in October, a season ill-suited to that sort of thing as the weather turns chill. The carnival is led by the sinister Mr Dark, and appears to grant people their deepest desires. Each wish is granted in a monkey's-paw sort of way, and soon Mr Dark is tempting the boys as well. It's good. To save money, the studio cast then-unknown Jonathon Pryce as Mr Dark, and the choice proved brilliant. He makes your spine tingle.

The Navigator I stumbled upon this New Zealand-made medieval time-travel fantasy at a video rental store in the 90s. It's good. A copper-mining village in Cumbria is facing the prospect of infection by the Black Death, which has already afflicted a nearby village, and they ask for help from their resident seer, a young boy with second sight. The boy has a vision that they must erect a cross (made from local copper) upon the highest steeple in Christendom before the next full moon, and then they will be spared, and that he must lead them through the middle of the Earth to get there. They get a big copper nugget and start digging in the mine shaft, per the boy's direction, and find themselves emerging in 20th Century Wellington, NZ. It's not your typical fish-out-of-water time-travel story.

Time Bandits Often inaccurately called a Monty Python film, this was Terry Gilliams' first post-Python film. It does feature a number of Pythons, but it is not a Python film. It's got a lot of laughs, but the overall story is meant to be taken seriously despite the fantastical nature of it. A boy in suburban England yearns for a more exciting life, and one night, he gets his wish as a troupe of dwarfs emerges from his closet while fleeing from the Supreme Being with a stolen map plotting all the holes in creation. The dwarfs intend to exploit those holes for personal enrichment, traveling through time and space to become stinkin' rich. The dwarfs are a "whos who" of 1980s little people in entertainment, though thanks to the unfairness of movie billing, David Rappaport (who plays Randall, the leader of the troupe) got only ninth billing. (His costar Craig Warnock, who played the boy, gets tenth billing. David Warner, who plays the villian, Evil, gets eighth billing and the 1 through 7 slots are all minor parts played by big-name stars.) It kind of fits in the same category as Buckaroo Banzai in that it's not entirely clear whether it's meant to be silly or serious, but I'd say this movie is more serious, because it makes some very potent observations on good, evil, and human nature.

The Dark Crystal was a labor of love by Jim Henson, who had devised an extraordinarily rich world populated entirely by nonhumans who are portrayed live-action by elaborate puppets. If you thought Yoda was cool, that's nothing compared to this. Frank Oz, originally hired as director, eventually was persuaded to take up two of the major roles (though their voices are done by others): the seer Aughra and the conniving Chamberlain. (The Chamberlain was one of the most elaborate wire-operated puppets ever built, with an exceptional range of motion in his face.) The world is extremely detailed, both in culture and in biology. "Avatar" comes near it in terms of creating a believable world that is almost live-action and populating it with impossible creatures, but the world of the Dark Crystal is much richer despite the shorter runtime in which to establish it. One wishes very much that Henson had shared more of his visions of this world. Like "Avatar", the story is archetypal, and the final conclusion is not very surprising; it's how everybody gets there and what happens along the way that's interesting. They really do make you believe these creatures are real, with real, everyday concerns. Skesis and Ur Ru ("Mystics" in the final cut), Podlings and Gelflings, Landstriders and Garthim. It's beautiful.

Y

yevaud

Reminded me of a few more:

Time Bandits

Brazil

Genesis II

Westworld

H

HRacct

If you are looking for a movie to get from yesterday, it would have to be Westworld!!! I had forgotten about that one. I haven't seen it in ages. But the secquel is not that good. In fact, I only remember that much about it. But first one is the one to see.

I was in a store today and found The Tingler on DVD for only $7.00. But did not get it. I have seen it enough, thank you. With books, I found an old book in a used book store called, Time Machine II. It's story is about the first time traveller who's wife gave birth to a son and died during a German blitz in England. And he grows up to find he is the Time Traveller(?) son and finds the blueprints for his machine. From there the story goes on. Not to bad. In fact, not trying to give anything away, in the end he befriends his father as a friend and the trouble that that brings.

But I do know this is a movie post, so back to our sponsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts