Favorite sci-fi movies that I have NOT seen :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a_lost_packet_

HRacct":oovf2mar said:
Robinson Crusoe(?), now that is a show I haven't even thot of in a l-o-n-g while. It is definately a B movie but I would watch it again as possible...

Robinson Crusoe on Mars? If so, that's not a bad movie, IMO. I liked it a lot.

K

kelvinzero

Another nice little low budget find. Not exactly a SciFi if you want to be technical about it.. I just liked the characters and thought it was a nice mix of comedy, sweet and sad. I mean something like this is so much better than redoing some high budget movie without the budget or the soul, which describes so much of the scifi crap out there.

Special: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479162/
A lonely metermaid has a psychotic reaction to his medication and becomes convinced he's a superhero. A very select group of people in life are truly gifted. Special is a movie about everyone else.

J

JonClarke

One I would really like to see is The Wings of Honnêamise .

Who else has seen Colossus: the Forbin project?

C

crazyeddie

JonClarke":1s5b95ps said:

Good movie, if you can get past the foolhardy premise. Kinda depressing ending, though....very much in the 1960's "new wave" science-fiction style.

J

JonClarke

crazyeddie":11npg4bt said:
JonClarke":11npg4bt said:

Good movie, if you can get past the foolhardy premise. Kinda depressing ending, though....very much in the 1960's "new wave" science-fiction style.

It is a common assumption in SF, where control is handed over to an AI system.

I liked the ending - why should the humans always win?

But it is about35 years since I saw it, it might not have worn well.

C

crazyeddie

I see that Turner Classic Movies has scheduled one of my favorite old "classic" sci-fi flicks on July 10th: Five Million Years To Earth, or, as it was labelled in England, Quatermass and the Pit. It scared the piss out me when I was kid, and I never get tired of watching it, even with it's sometimes laughable (and other times awesome) special effects. It concerns a five million year old spaceship found while digging a new branch of the London subway, and the excavators discover that the dead aliens inside may have been responsible for human evolution. The H.P. Lovecraftian mood that this movie invokes masterfully blends science-fiction and horror, and if you've never seen it, in you're in for a treat!

pit_qu6.jpg

A

a_lost_packet_

JonClarke":23tk8qw3 said:
...Meh, remakes are almost never better!

Unfortunately, true. But, one can hope they'll get this one right. Though, I'm not sure how they're going to handle the whole "Cold War" angle on the story. That's going to be a tough one.

J

JonClarke

a_lost_packet_":1n16k7gv said:
JonClarke":1n16k7gv said:
...Meh, remakes are almost never better!

Unfortunately, true. But, one can hope they'll get this one right. Though, I'm not sure how they're going to handle the whole "Cold War" angle on the story. That's going to be a tough one.

Probably best be done away with altogether. It's a supercomputer that takes over the internet, which provides the additional, uplooked for capability.

J

JonClarke

Picking up on some earlier posts.

Titan AE was quite good, especially some quite realistic depictions of the reality of space flight. Also an interesting idea.

On the Beach Great movie, and great tragedy. I will never forget the final scene where litter is blowing through the deserted streets of Melbourne and the camera foucses on one, a Salvation Army poster saying "Repent! There is still time". I guess we did, which maybe why we are still here.

S

silylene

Solaris (1972)
Andrei Tarkovsky’s existential SF drama is often described as the Russian 2001 – but it’s much more than that. It’s a hypnotic, minimalist masterpiece, though these days it has as many detractors as fans. Steven Soderbergh directed a surprisingly successful remake in 2002.

Metropolis (1927)
Fritz Lang's futuristic masterpiece depicting a world starkly divided between workers and elites has ironically been used as a justification for Communist and Fascist ideology, but Lang's social statement is a blank canvas upon which the viewer is invited to make his own conclusions. The film's bold art design, often imitated, remains remarkable even though nearly a century has passed since its release.

J

JonClarke

silylene":36cvw5ns said:
Solaris (1972)
Andrei Tarkovsky’s existential SF drama is often described as the Russian 2001 – but it’s much more than that. It’s a hypnotic, minimalist masterpiece, though these days it has as many detractors as fans. Steven Soderbergh directed a surprisingly successful remake in 2002.

Disturbing and good. I have been haunted by this film ever since I saw it 30 years ago. The remake was good, bot brilliant, but probably more accessible.

Metropolis (1927)
Fritz Lang's futuristic masterpiece depicting a world starkly divided between workers and elites has ironically been used as a justification for Communist and Fascist ideology, but Lang's social statement is a blank canvas upon which the viewer is invited to make his own conclusions. The film's bold art design, often imitated, remains remarkable even though nearly a century has passed since its release.

Seems very hammy today, but very influential at the time. Many ideas new there became cliches subsequently. Aesthetically influential too - C3PO is a male version of the android.

B

bdewoody

I'm sorry but how could a movie or a book be a favorite and yet not seen or read. I have seen every sci-fi movie that I would consider a favorite. As far as books go there are probably several dozen that if I read them I would consider a favorite but none that I am currently aware of.

A

a_lost_packet_

They Live - John Carpenter's foray into pulp Sci-Fi with none other than wrestling's Rowdy Roddy Piper in the lead role! (Who did a very good job, btw.)

This movie contains the most awesomest butt-kicking one-liner in the history of mysterious-aliens-invading-Earth-and-disguising-themselves-like-humans-but-can-only-be-seen-with-special-polarizing-sunglasses movies!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JS-5Zr1rIY[/youtube]
(Warning, graphic headshot)

A

a_lost_packet_

bdewoody":3ebrqoy3 said:
I'm sorry but how could a movie or a book be a favorite and yet not seen or read...

It's a take on the existential nature of man and his inherent duality, focusing on the Complementarity Principle of man's reality with his flawed, yet life defining, perceptions of it.

K

kelvinzero

a_lost_packet_":2ycxhph9 said:
bdewoody":2ycxhph9 said:
I'm sorry but how could a movie or a book be a favorite and yet not seen or read...

It's a take on the existential nature of man and his inherent duality, focusing on the Complementarity Principle of man's reality with his flawed, yet life defining, perceptions of it.

er.. what alp said.. :)

But actually the title was a play on the title of a previous thread: "Favorite sci-fi movies that I have seen"

The problem with that thread was that it was talking about generally well known movies that I had already seen, so it was no use for finding something new to see.

You could consider the title to be "YOUR Favorite sci-fi movies that I MIGHT NOT have seen", or "Suggest some nice but less well known movies"

I think it is explained in the OP or somewhere.

B

bdewoody

OK I think that maybe I understand the intent of the OP. You've got to remember I'm still taking some heavy duty pain killers due to my auto accident, so sometimes clever wording will go over my head.

V

vogon13

I have never seen ET the Extraterrestrial.

I recently (like 2 weeks ago) saw Blade Runner for the first time. I loved the cityscape, but the actual plot of the movie seemed indifferent. Why did I think Harrison Ford was a robot too?

Dark City is a must see. (period) You all must see Dark City. Dark City is indisputably one of the very best sci-fi movies of all time.

Good B-movies you may have missed:

Day of the Triffids
Crack in the World
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
Any of the Thunderbird pictures (hey, puppets are cool)
Squirm
Frogs
Mysterious Island
The Fly (I like the original and the remake)
Farenheit 451
Pitch Black

Sci-fi movies to AVOID:

Nightfall
Saturn 3
Fly II

So bad it's good:

Teenagers From Outer Space
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Saturday the 14th

J

jim48

vogon13":38uvg4ej said:

I recently (like 2 weeks ago) saw Blade Runner for the first time. I loved the cityscape, but the actual plot of the movie seemed indifferent. Why did I think Harrison Ford was a robot too?

Dark City is a must see. (period) You all must see Dark City. Dark City is indisputably one of the very best sci-fi movies of all time.

Day of the Triffids
Crack in the World
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
Any of the Thunderbird pictures (hey, puppets are cool)
Squirm
Frogs
Mysterious Island
The Fly (I like the original and the remake)
Farenheit 451
Pitch Black

Sci-fi movies to AVOID:

Nightfall
Saturn 3
Fly II

So bad it's good:

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Saturday the 14th

Plan 9 from Outer Space pretty much tops the list of Bad Sci-Fi flicks!!! Movies so bad they were good? The Final Countdown and Capricorn One. I hear they are doing a re-make of Capricorn One.

V

vogon13

Hard to find and rarely seen, The Quite Earth is very good. Made in New Zealand back in the late 80s, it concerns what happens to 3 people after an unusual scientific experiment may have gone horribly wrong.

The final shot of the movie (and don't anyone who knows about it spoil it here) is a stunner.

:eek:

H

HRacct

vogon13 said:

Like you, somehow I have never got around to seeing that one as well. Old ET joke, did you hear ET had a heart attack?
(Pause for you to groan) He got the bill from phoning
home!!!

But how could you have missed that one? It was alright. But I did find the Philip Dick book of short stories that this and several other movies were taken from. I found I did enjoy the way he presented his subject matter.

Day of the Triffids
Crack in the World
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun- This one is really a must see for the oldies.
Any of the Thunderbird pictures (hey, puppets are cool) Yea, but that was probably just for us oldies.
Squirm
Frogs- I remember this one from college all those years ago., but only in the past few years did I acturally see it.
Mysterious Island- This has been one of my ALL time favorites.
The Fly- I liked Vincent Price in the original, expecially at the end, "Help me."
Farenheit 451- Slow British show, but I have it in my collection. Great story.
Pitch Black

So bad it's good:

This would be a good topic to start, if it hasn't already been started. All are right on!!

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Saturday the 14th- Paula Printis, Richard Benjamin
Capricorn One was fun to watch. Expecially with O.J.

J

JonClarke

That may well be the point

Day of the Triffids
Crack in the World
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun- This one is really a must see for the oldies.
Any of the Thunderbird pictures (hey, puppets are cool) Yea, but that was probably just for us oldies.
Squirm
Frogs- I remember this one from college all those years ago., but only in the past few years did I acturally see it.
Mysterious Island- This has been one of my ALL time favorites.
The Fly- I liked Vincent Price in the original, expecially at the end, "Help me."
Farenheit 451- Slow British show, but I have it in my collection. Great story.
Pitch Black

Day of the Triffids An abomination and insult to JW

Crack in the World Nope. But isn't that the story arc of the latest Dr Who? :D

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun Not bad for what it is

Any of the Thunderbird picture Showing your age aren't you?

Frogs- Nope

Mysterious Island Nope.

The Fly Nope

Farenheit 451 Not a bad adaptation of the story.

Pitch Black Nope

B

bdewoody

Now that I am hip to the theme here how about "Outland". I saw it in the theatre when it first came out but a lot of people I talk to today have never heard of it.

Another is "ZARDOZ" which nobody mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts