favorite sci-fi movies that I have seen - all time

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

Hmm... none of you crazy guys have mentioned "Logan's Run". We're going on 'carousel' one day. And the clock is ticking.

Logan's Run, one of my all-time favorites. As well as "Alien" and "2001". And "THX-1138" has yet to be listed.

I enjoyed "Aliens". But the tired old cliche of the inept- usually white- Lt. CO, the black NCO, and the tough hispanic senorita was already tired and old in 1986. And I doubt only 'space marines' would be sent in to deal with an unknown hostile alien without some astrobiologists on board.

I especially liked the Alien Queen in "Aliens". I thought they could've done a whole lot better than they did with that franchise after the first two movies. For example, how long was the U shaped alien ship, the one that sent the warning signal about the other aliens, sitting there when it was discovered by Dallas, Lambert, and Kane?

It had been sitting there for six centuries. It crashed there because the insectoid xenomorph alien had caused havoc and on the U-ship. It crash-landed there when Shakespeare was writing plays on Earth.

They could've done one about one individual alien being brought back to a base on Europa. The drone wipes everybody out and morphs into a Queen and lays a bunch of "eggs". When rescue teams arrive, any semblance of man-made structures in the interiors has been converted to the alien's preferred environment, with all that organic stuff everywhere that the alien makes with its excreted resin.

Keep in mind that the "cave" that Kane discovered was of bad alien construction, superimposed over the "good" alien's constructs. So perhaps it was a mine of some sort the "good", 10 foot tall aliens were digging when they stumbled across the "bad" xenomorph and they didn't crash-land after all.

So the 'bad' alien was native to that hostile little world. They were basicall big green-yellow rock eaters who break apart and digest rocks and minerals for sustenance with their "acid" enzymes. :cool:

B

bdewoody

Forgot about Logan's Run wasn't thinking about non space related Sci-Fi. Great movie and a hot chick.

F

FlatEarth

StarRider1701":2zzufxse said:
FlatEarth":2zzufxse said:
”Welcome to Earth!”
Matrix (the first one)
Independence Day
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original)
:D
Oh, almost forgot The Pink Panther!

Nothing wrong with Independence Day, I put that in my first post on this thread, too. And the only reason I didn't list Avatar is I have not had the chance to see it yet, but I will, soon.

Now, as to your last entry... The Pink Panther?!?!? Gag me with a pitchfork!!! I say to you what I said to Woody, TIMES 10! Never mind the fact that it isn't Science Fiction. Uuuggg! (takes big swig of beer to get nasty taste out)
;)
I watched Independence Day countless times, and now that I have a Blue-ray player I'll probably buy the BR version one of theses days. It's a sickness, I tell you! I was glad to see I'm not alone. ;) :)

O

orienteer

I am glad to see that no one chose Planet Of the Apes, the remake. Yes the costumes were better, but the political point went right over Tim Burton's head. When it came out, my girl friend had never seen either. After seeing the remake I had to go rent Charlton to prove how great the story was, and that I was not crazy.

O

OleNewt

There are several movies that didn't make it on the list:

Coneheads
My Stepmother's an Alien
Masters of the Universe
just about anything showing on the Syfy channel

J

jim48

orienteer":tew37y3t said:
I am glad to see that no one chose Planet Of the Apes, the remake. Yes the costumes were better, but the political point went right over Tim Burton's head. When it came out, my girl friend had never seen either. After seeing the remake I had to go rent Charlton to prove how great the story was, and that I was not crazy.

The re-make was well intended but lame. The original holds up well. Now, go read the novel by Pierre Boulle. Translated from french. Rod Serling came up with the Statue of Liberty ending for the movie, by the way.

Z

ZenGalacticore

IMHO (In My Haughty Opinion), the remake of "The Planet of the Apes", was a work of garbage and a complete waste of celluloid.

100 years from now, which version do you think will be remembered?

Let's be honest. If your life depended on it, which version do you think will be remembered?

Z

ZenGalacticore

bdewoody":2ps83yxy said:
Forgot about Logan's Run wasn't thinking about non space related Sci-Fi. Great movie and a hot chick.

I think you're talking about Jenny Agutter. And she was a hot British babe in her day. There were also a lot of hottie extras walking around. And Farrah Fawcett had a small role in the film. (She was wildy popular at the time, 1974, so they put her in the movie and her name had top billing on the theater posters and newspaper ads. But her part was small, and her acting abilities not so great.)

But Michael York is trained in the British Shakespearean school of acting and was outstanding and very convincing, as was Agutter. Richard Jordan as Logan's comrade "Francis 7" was also excellent.

Logan- But I have four more years til Last Day! I will get them back. Won't I ?

Computer- The question has been answered Logan 5.

Btw, Farrah Fawcett also did the voice of the City Computer.

A

a_lost_packet_

ZenGalacticore":1853ex2i said:
IMHO (In My Haughty Opinion), the remake of "The Planet of the Apes", was a work of garbage and a complete waste of celluloid.

100 years from now, which version do you think will be remembered?

Let's be honest. If your life depended on it, which version do you think will be remembered?

I agree. The remake was a waste of film. However, they did do a good job on makeup, I'll give them that much. But, how can it possibly ever compare with the original? NEVER! Charleton Heston, Roddy McDowell, Kim Hunter (A very accomplished actress in her own right).. Then, add in the fact that it was a groundbreaking piece of work, totally unlike anything that had been done before. The makeup was cutting edge and is still honored today as one of the finest accomplishments in film. An entire society was carefully invented right on the screen, transparent to the audience. Suspending disbelief was not even necessary - It flowed into the story so well the milieu was naturally accepted by the audience.

The remake did poor service to the legacy. It DID have its moments and I do appreciate some of the characters and the acting that were involved. I did like some of its components but, it wasn't a good movie.

O

orienteer

How about The Fantastic Voyage? Definitely a unique concept. Hoakey situations but edge of your seat drama. Sure fits the hot chick requirement.

B

bdewoody

Does Brainstorm qualify as a SciFi movie? One of my favorites of the type. Of course having Natalie Wood in it didn't hurt.

C

cookie_thief

ZenGalacticore":3b9ulanq said:
bdewoody":3b9ulanq said:

I think you're talking about Jenny Agutter. And she was a hot British babe in her day. There were also a lot of hottie extras walking around. And Farrah Fawcett had a small role in the film. (She was wildy popular at the time, 1974, so they put her in the movie and her name had top billing on the theater posters and newspaper ads. But her part was small, and her acting abilities not so great.)

But Michael York is trained in the British Shakespearean school of acting and was outstanding and very convincing, as was Agutter. Richard Jordan as Logan's comrade "Francis 7" was also excellent.

Logan- But I have four more years til Last Day! I will get them back. Won't I ?

Computer- The question has been answered Logan 5.

Btw, Farrah Fawcett also did the voice of the City Computer.

Oh yes, I remember Farrah. Didn't she met her demise in the sights of an out-of-control cometic laser? Rather ironic, wouldn't you say?
If my memory is correct, Logan's Run came out in the spring of '76. I recall that it was the last major sci-fi movie before Star Wars came out nearly a year later. Then cinematic history changed.

Z

ZenGalacticore

cookie_thief":12nhx3bl said:
Oh yes, I remember Farrah. Didn't she met her demise in the sights of an out-of-control cometic laser? Rather ironic, wouldn't you say?
If my memory is correct, Logan's Run came out in the spring of '76. I recall that it was the last major sci-fi movie before Star Wars came out nearly a year later. Then cinematic history changed.

"Logan's Run" came out in the summer of 1974. It predates the "Star Wars" release by three years. It was a first of its kind film.

Farrah's character was killed when Logan 5 and Jessica 6 are in an abandoned and forgotten part of the City that is separated from the active City by a bulkhead. Francis 7 and the rest of the Sandmen bust through the bulkhead, and Holly (Fawcett) is killed in the explosion.

The Sandmen found them because Logan sends a homing signal. You're still not sure at this point whose side Logan is on. He's still working for the City Computer, in order to "penetrate the walls of the City, and go outside to find 'Sanctuary' and destroy."

Remember, it was "Year of the City, 2274." The screen writers adjusted the date from the book to be exactly 300 years in the future after the Catastrophe.

For all you sci-fi fans who have not seen "Logan's Run", I highly recommend it.

C

cookie_thief

Wow, I was waaay off. Guess I'd better clear the cobwebs outta the old noggin. :oops:

B

Bromo33333

Dune & Children of Dune [the miniseries I liked better than the movie, but I liked them both]
SIlent Running
Outland
THX-1138
Blade Runner
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Firefly
Forbidden Planet
Star Wars IV and V
Star Trek II

S

silylene

Terminator
Alien
Invaders from Mars (1953)
Barbarella
War Games
Blade Runner
Jurassic Park

M

mj1

Hey, you forgot Spaceballs. Maybe not the best Sci Fi movie, but certainly the funniest. :geek:

S

Saturnfly

My top 10 favourite sci fi movies....

no.1 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
no.2 - Contact
no.3 - Donnie Darko
no.4. Sunshine
no.5 - Dark Star
no.6 - Logan's Run
no.7 - Code 46
no.8 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
no.9 - Escape From New York
no.10 - 12 Monkeys & Children of Men would be a tie.

W

warpfactor999

The Day of the Triffids....
A meteor shower blinds the Earths populus and plants man eating trees on all continents who move towards sound!!!!
Only one element will save all of mankind from these flesh eating extraterrestial beings! Rent it or buy it and see!!!!

Z

ZiraldoAerospace

What about Titan AE??? I thought that the effects in that movie were insane, and the sound was great, lots of deep booming kinds of sounds. Oh and Heavy Metal, and the sequel, Heavy Metal 2000. And Serenity was one of my favorites. I thought that Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy was boring to the extreme.

U

Unobtainison

For great Sci-fi set underwater:

The Abyss (1989)

By . . . James Cameron (pre-crowning).

H

HRacct

Just re-read some posts tonite, and I would have to concur with some views and opinions. My list of fav's would have to be divided between classics and new releases.

I enjoyed Galaxy Quest, one reason is to count the number of other shows mentioned. Case in point, when the pig-lizard licks him on the face, Stargate. It was just a fun show. But for someone to mention Mars Attacks, yuch!!!!!!! I was so looking forward to that show, and then I found all the trailers shown before that time were the only funny parts IN the show. I did make it to the end, but I don't think I would walk accross the street to see it for free.

I was working two jobs when Jurassic Park came out and I was just blown away by that first scene of the dino's munching on the tree leaves, or other parts like the boy who said, "God bless you" to the dino who sneazed(?) on his sister. The book was different from the show, a little darker, but just as good in its own right.

Many of the new comic book movies I think could not have been done better. Some license was taken with some parts, like in Fantastic Four, but on the whole, a great job.

Some people, in the past posts, did not think much of the LOTR, but I thought it was so well done I was quoting lines to my wife before they were ever said. But there again, because of the length, not all things could be covered as the books had them.

On the flip side, I have refused to even see the new Day the Earth Stood Still because of the p/c of the movie. Give me a break! The first Time Machine was still better then that new one. They just reversed the premise for the two. The first one had a man find a woman after inventing time travel, while the second lost his love and invented the machine to find her again.

G

Gravity_Ray

Man I'm going to sound lame, but I finally got to see Avatar...

Well I must admit I didn’t see all the stuff people wrote about this movie in regards to it being against the US armed forces. Actually everything in this movie has been done in previous Sci-Fi movies. There was not one thing that surprised me.

What was good about this movie was the shear magnitude of the special effects. Wow! The story line was very standard, but well done. It didn’t drag but the ending was sort of like Huh? Did these big blue guys forgot about orbital bombardments?

Anyway, it was good, but it won’t crack my top 20 list already posted.

Y

yevaud

Gravity_Ray":1qedglhl said:
Huh? Did these big blue guys forgot about orbital bombardments?

No, but from what I understand the plot ended like, the Humans did.

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":sg29cjwn said:
cookie_thief":sg29cjwn said:

"Logan's Run" came out in the summer of 1974. It predates the "Star Wars" release by three years. It was a first of its kind film.

Farrah's character was killed when Logan 5 and Jessica 6 are in an abandoned and forgotten part of the City that is separated from the active City by a bulkhead. Francis 7 and the rest of the Sandmen bust through the bulkhead, and Holly (Fawcett) is killed in the explosion.

The Sandmen found them because Logan sends a homing signal. You're still not sure at this point whose side Logan is on. He's still working for the City Computer, in order to "penetrate the walls of the City, and go outside to find 'Sanctuary' and destroy."

Remember, it was "Year of the City, 2274." The screen writers adjusted the date from the book to be exactly 300 years in the future after the Catastrophe.

For all you sci-fi fans who have not seen "Logan's Run", I highly recommend it.

Sorry, Zen. Logan's Run was released in 1976. Interesting score by Jerry Goldsmith. A year later it was a short-lived tv show on CBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts