Gravity and Magnetism

Page 9 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Does that mean that sun and stars are big oxydizers? <br />Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV><br /><br />NO, because the sun isn't burning. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm guessing I can breath when I'm very close to the sun or a star then, or even catching one of the air molecules near the star that makes it ignite. <br />Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV><br /><br />There are no "air" molecules near the sun or a star. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

Aaupaaq

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Nice try Wayne, and others, but I fear that you are casting pearls before swine.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This thread rates a 10 on the man vs wacko chart.&nbsp;&nbsp; Even Bear would be challenged. &nbsp;&nbsp; <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>I'm no expert on your language, but I'm getting a hint that you think I will be ignoring your knowledge, and substitude it with non-scientific knowledge, that suits my mindset.......I guess it's like standing on a wire or something. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We always walked on water, like skating! </div>

A

Aaupaaq

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>NO, because the sun isn't burning. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>What in the universe is it doing? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We always walked on water, like skating! </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm no expert on your language, but I'm getting a hint that you think I will be ignoring your knowledge, and substitude it with non-scientific knowledge, that suits my mindset.......Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV><br /><br />That's very well put. It is exactly what you do. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What in the universe is it doing? <br />Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV><br /><br />An excellent question.&nbsp; This is something that you should put before an expert in solar physics for clear resolution.&nbsp; I doubt any of the participants in this thread can adequately address the profound issues that you have identified.</p><p>Fortunately there is a frequent poster in this forum who is ideally suited both by temperment and by expertise to help you.&nbsp; I suggest that you engage in discussion with him. </p><p>Here is a thread devoted to this sort of question (edited to update the link)&nbsp; http://www.space.com/common/community/forums/?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3ac7921f8b-94ec-454a-9715-3770aac6e2caForum%3a2f3143ad-161c-461f-b1e1-f88bf188e3cfDiscussion%3a91e16c2e-278f-44c5-adbe-1e79ee1e1662&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>And here is the personal web site of the resident expert.&nbsp;http://www.thesurfaceofthesun.com/</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

Aaupaaq

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>An excellent question.&nbsp; This is something that you should put before an expert in solar physics for clear resolution.&nbsp; I doubt any of the participants in this thread can adequately address the profound issues that you have identified.Fortunately there is a frequent poster in this forum who is ideally suited both by temperment and by expertise to help you.&nbsp; I suggest that you engage in discussion with him. Here is a thread devoted to this sort of question http://www.space.com/common/community/forums/?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3ac7921f8b-94ec-454a-9715-3770aac6e2caForum%3ad148ee4c-9f4c-47f9-aa95-7a42941583c6Discussion%3ad8ff4c44-f22a-4eb2-9b30-374c5b847f39And here is the personal web site of the resident expert.&nbsp;http://www.thesurfaceofthesun.com/ <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>I've tried the link but it no longer exists.&nbsp; Then, the other shorter one, I saw, and kinds of confirm what I know.&nbsp; But what do you think?&nbsp; Magnets?&nbsp; They rule! </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We always walked on water, like skating! </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I've tried the link but it no longer exists.&nbsp; Then, the other shorter one, I saw, and kinds of confirm what I know.&nbsp; But what do you think?&nbsp; Magnets?&nbsp; They rule! <br />Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV></p><p>The thread was moved.&nbsp; Here is the udated link.&nbsp; I will also edit the earlier post so no one is misled.</p><p><br />http://www.space.com/common/community/forums/?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3ac7921f8b-94ec-454a-9715-3770aac6e2caForum%3a2f3143ad-161c-461f-b1e1-f88bf188e3cfDiscussion%3a91e16c2e-278f-44c5-adbe-1e79ee1e1662&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

Aaupaaq

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The thread was moved.&nbsp; Here is the udated link.&nbsp; I will also edit the earlier post so no one is misled.http://www.space.com/common/community/forums/?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3ac7921f8b-94ec-454a-9715-3770aac6e2caForum%3a2f3143ad-161c-461f-b1e1-f88bf188e3cfDiscussion%3a91e16c2e-278f-44c5-adbe-1e79ee1e1662&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0 <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>Does this mean that magnetic universe is being acknowledged?&nbsp;&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We always walked on water, like skating! </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Does this mean that magnetic universe is being acknowledged?&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV></p><p>Acknowledged as what ?<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

Aaupaaq

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Acknowledged as what ? <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>What do you think? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We always walked on water, like skating! </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What do you think? <br />Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV></p><p>There are several mutually exclusive possibilities.&nbsp; <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

Aaupaaq

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There are several mutually exclusive possibilities.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>I need to know all of them please.</p><p>It would probably ease my dreams of This force, and why the others think its just plain particles, when this force is giving us something to talk about. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We always walked on water, like skating! </div>

A

Aaupaaq

I think the world started like an asteroid.&nbsp; There's like 68 or something asteroids that have moons like a mile wide.&nbsp; Gravity is the main driving force in simple, but effective way to create or manifest! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We always walked on water, like skating! </div>

D

DengarReturns

<font color="#999999"><font size="2" color="#000000">Ok.&nbsp; How can gravity just attract and not repel (or expel) something</font></font><font color="#000000"><font size="2">??</font>&nbsp; </font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

et_earth

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What I mean by alive is that the object is not inert.&nbsp; When something goes forth and back, restrain and constrict, unsqueeze then squeeze.&nbsp; Then it's alive. <br />Posted by Aaupaaq</DIV><br /><br /><p>Living or alive can be identified through the manifestation of growth through metabolism and reproduction.</p><p>There is no universal definition of life; there are a variety of definitions proposed by different scientists. To define life in unequivocal terms is still a challenge for scientists.</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

neomaine

et_earth,

Please don't give anything to Aaupaaq to help him understand....well... anything! This thread is just too much fun.

:shock:

D

DrRocket

Re:

nopatience":2dfp7dy0 said:
"The pair suggest that electromagnetism and gravity influence one another enough for gravity's pull to be noticeably affected by the Earth's magnetic field."
this article made me look into the connection.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992814

http://www.mountainman.com.au/news96_f.html

Anybody care to comment on these two articles? Have scientists explored using magnetism to create gravity?

"There certainly is gravity in space - it's just not as strong as it is on Earth. The force of gravity exists between any two masses, and depends on how massive they are are how far apart they are. The force of gravity is strong close to Earth (or near any other massive body, such as the Sun or other planets), but gets weaker as you go out in space. Gravity is the force that keeps the relatively tiny mass of a satellite from leaving the orbit of Earth. "

Short of the development of a Theory of Eveything you are not likely to find a connection between magnetism and gravity.

There are 3 fundamental theories in modern physics -- the quantum field theory of the electroweak force, the quantum field theory of the strong force (quantum chromodynamics) and general relativity. They are all distinct at this juncture.

A unified theory of the strong and electroweak forces, called a Grand Unified Theory (GUT) is a long-sought and still elusive objective of research.

Even more elusive is a unified theory of the strong, electroweak and gravitational forces (a Theory of Everything or TOE). The quantization of gravity has proved to be extremely difficult, the problem of renormalization of gravitational forces being the primary difficulty. The reason for the interest in string theory is precisely the allure of a quantum theory of gravity, and actually a TOE.

What is clearly known is that under the usual conditions present at this epoch in the universe (as opposed to the first fractions of a second after the big bang or near the singularity of a black hole or at distance scales much smaller than the diameter of a proton) there is virtually no relationship whatever between magnetism and gravity. Both the electromagnetic force and gravity are quite well understood under most circumstances.

T

tampaDreamer

has anyone considered that terrorists may spray a lot of water, like maybe the ocean, at the sun and thus put outs its fire and freeze us but also we would have no water to drinK?

:lol:

M

MeteorWayne

tampaDreamer":2y2c2suh said:
has anyone considered that terrorists may spray a lot of water, like maybe the ocean, at the sun and thus put outs its fire and freeze us but also we would have no water to drinK?

I guess that's a joke. Water is just more hydrogen, which the sun runs on....

D

derekmcd

tampaDreamer":2rh33q1k said:

All the water in the solar system would barely equate to a briefly existing wisp of steam vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.