Handy fuel guage for when you leave earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vogon13

From Introduction to Asteroids:<br /><br />earth surface to low earth orbit<br />8600 m/sec<br /><br />LEO to lunar L4 or L5<br />4100 m/sec<br /><br />LEO to GEO<br />3800 m/sec<br /><br />LEO to lunar orbit<br />4100 m/sec<br /><br />lunar orbit to lunar surface<br />2200 m/sec<br /><br />lunar orbit to L4 or L5<br />700 m/sec<br /><br />GEO to lunar orbit<br />2400 m/sec<br /><br /><br />Top off those empty fuel tanks at the ISS on your way out!<br /><br />Bon voyager.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

thanx- I just posted the ones in the book, I didn't have the abacus handy to figure out any of the permutations.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

M

mattblack

Cool post!!! The kind of thing we need more of around here. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

K

krrr

Comparing this to the Wikipedia article, the Caltech delta-V page and my own calculations, I find (assuming LEO as a circular 200 km and LLO as a circular 100 km orbit):<br /><br />The earth surface to LEO figure given (8600 m/s) is much too low. Realistic values are 9300 m/s to 9600 m/s, taking into account atmospheric drag and gravity loss.<br /><br />LEO to GSO is 3932 m/s (2455 to GTO, then 1477 for circularization), neglecting gravity losses.<br /><br />LEO to LLO is possible for less than 4000 m/s, again neglecting gravity losses.<br /><br />Anyway, good rules of thumb and supporting spacester's motto "LEO is halfway to the rest of the Solar System".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts