How is this scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassini12

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;Hi all, </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp; Just wanted an opinion on this telescope. Celestron 4SE Maksutov telescope&nbsp;? I believe it is a 11.99 F/R. Also even with this Focal Ratio, My main question is, What "Size" would Saturn be for example? In my current 114mm 7.9F/R&nbsp; it is pathetically small. and beleive it or not I think it is bigger in my 60mm 10f/r. &nbsp;just wondering. thanks all</p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;Hi all, &nbsp;&nbsp; Just wanted an opinion on this telescope. Celestron 4SE Maksutov telescope&nbsp;? I believe it is a 11.99 F/R. Also even with this Focal Ratio, My main question is, What "Size" would Saturn be for example? In my current 114mm 7.9F/R&nbsp; it is pathetically small. and beleive it or not I think it is bigger in my 60mm 10f/r. &nbsp;just wondering. thanks all <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />I have a 114mm 8.77 F/R and Saturn is pretty amazing man! Don't buy another scope. The size of Saturn depends on magnification. I use 100X or 200X when viewing saturn and it seems pretty great. Actually, the 4SE might be even worse because it's most useful magnification would be around 200X and my 4.5" says 228X but 200X is even a bit blurry. What magnification do you usually use when viewing Saturn?

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I have a 114mm 8.77 F/R and Saturn is pretty amazing man! Don't buy another scope. The size of Saturn depends on magnification. I use 100X or 200X when viewing saturn and it seems pretty great. Actually, the 4SE might be even worse because it's most useful magnification would be around 200X and my 4.5" says 228X but 200X is even a bit blurry. What magnification do you usually use when viewing Saturn? <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Well my 4.5" scope is 1000mm. So If I am right, It would be a 25 and a 9.6 eyepeice. So, 40x and 104x, although my scope has a build in 2x barlow, so maybe both of those numbers are X2... Saturn is just very very small and I had just recently viewed it through an 11" at a local observatory and it was amazing. Big, Bright, you could even see the moons of Saturn. I am not trying to compare my 4.5" to a REAL 11" scope. Just saying I thought it would be bigger..<br /></p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Well my 4.5" scope is 1000mm. So If I am right, It would be a 25 and a 9.6 eyepeice. So, 40x and 104x, although my scope has a build in 2x barlow, so maybe both of those numbers are X2... Saturn is just very very small and I had just recently viewed it through an 11" at a local observatory and it was amazing. Big, Bright, you could even see the moons of Saturn. I am not trying to compare my 4.5" to a REAL 11" scope. Just saying I thought it would be bigger.. <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Well, this is good because I have the same design as your scope. My scope is 4.5" and 1000mm (built in barlow as well). The barlow&nbsp;has already doubled your view, otherwise the 25 and 9.6mm's would be 20X and 52X (pretty sure). I recommend buying a barlow lense to see Saturn larger. I bought a Meade $30 accessory kit which comes with a 2x barlow and a 17.5mm eyepiece. I recommend you buy this, the 2x barlow works great and the 17.5mm is pretty decent. A barlow works with any eyepiece so I use it with my 10mm which gets me up to 200X. With your 9.6mm you should get around 208X which should be perfect (if your scope is colliminated properly). Oh btw, another planet you should try is Jupiter. Although it comes out late (4 a.m it is pretty high in the sky) its pretty amazing as well. Last night I wantd to go outside for the meteor shower but my dad was too tired lol. Instead, I just saw Jupiter from my kitchen! There were at least 3 moons and 2-3 cloud bands. Even low magnification will show the planet in great size. </p><p>Hope I helped :).</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Oh btw, another planet you should try is Jupiter. Although it comes out late (4 a.m it is pretty high in the sky) its pretty amazing as well. Last night I wantd to go outside for the meteor shower but my dad was too tired lol. Instead, I just saw Jupiter from my kitchen! There were at least 3 moons and 2-3 cloud bands. Even low magnification will show the planet in great size. Hope I helped :). <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV><br /><br />Jupiter transits (reaches it's highest point in the sky) about 5:40 AM Daylight time. In the north it's already quite light by then, but near the Tropic of&nbsp; Cancer it's reasonably dark. Sometimes Jupiter is easier to look at if the sky is brightening up a bit in morning twilight, since there's not as much contrast.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well, this is good because I have the same design as your scope. My scope is 4.5" and 1000mm (built in barlow as well). The barlow&nbsp;has already doubled your view, otherwise the 25 and 9.6mm's would be 20X and 52X (pretty sure). I recommend buying a barlow lense to see Saturn larger. I bought a Meade $30 accessory kit which comes with a 2x barlow and a 17.5mm eyepiece. I recommend you buy this, the 2x barlow works great and the 17.5mm is pretty decent. A barlow works with any eyepiece so I use it with my 10mm which gets me up to 200X. With your 9.6mm you should get around 208X which should be perfect (if your scope is colliminated properly). Oh btw, another planet you should try is Jupiter. Although it comes out late (4 a.m it is pretty high in the sky) its pretty amazing as well. Last night I wantd to go outside for the meteor shower but my dad was too tired lol. Instead, I just saw Jupiter from my kitchen! There were at least 3 moons and 2-3 cloud bands. Even low magnification will show the planet in great size. Hope I helped :). <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;Well I hope my scope is collimated right, I just paid $35 for someone to do it. He said my scope was a "toy" and not a real scope. Mainly due to the plastic peices I guess. Anyways. I know this is a hard question to understand, But how "big" would you say Saturn is through your scope? In mine I would say 1/4"(tops) in the 11" I would say 2" (which is big ) Through the 11" it was like 1/2 the size of the full moon. through mine it is not even close lol.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Also, On May 15, 16 I will be in Hyannis, MA area. Will Jupiter be visible for me in the early am? like 3-5am? Thanks<br /></p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, On May 15, 16 I will be in Hyannis, MA area. Will Jupiter be visible for me in the early am? like 3-5am? Thanks <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Jupiter will be about 25 degrees above the horizon shortly after 4 AM, which is Nautical twilight. The sky is getting noticably bright by then, but it's not bad conditions to observe Jupiter. It would be better if Jupiter was higher up, but it will be easily visible and should provide a good view. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Jupiter will be about 25 degrees above the horizon shortly after 4 AM, which is Nautical twilight. The sky is getting noticably bright by then, but it's not bad conditions to observe Jupiter. It would be better if Jupiter was higher up, but it will be easily visible and should provide a good view. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;As far as size goes, Jupiter being so big should look decent through my scope or just vrey small like saturn? I have never seen jupiter in my life. thanks all</p>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;As far as size goes, Jupiter being so big should look decent through my scope or just vrey small like saturn? I have never seen jupiter in my life. thanks all <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;Also wayne, Were will it be in the sky? N,S,E,W?</p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;Also wayne, Were will it be in the sky? N,S,E,W? <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />It will be in the south, and is almost impossible to miss. The magnitude is a stunning -2.44 atm and will continue to become brighter and brighter until it reaches opposition. Sirius, the brightest star (besides the sun)&nbsp;in the sky&nbsp;is around -1.44 in magnitude. Another incrediblely&nbsp;bright planet is Venus with -3.89 magnitude however there is hardly any detail to be shown because of the smogy clouds I think (also rises after Jupiter). Oh and btw, Jupiter should look great even at 50X (size and detail). Just play around with your eyepieces and see which has the overall best view.

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;As far as size goes, Jupiter being so big should look decent through my scope or just vrey small like saturn? I have never seen jupiter in my life. thanks all <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Roughly, the disk of Jupiter is the same size as the distance across Saturn's rings.</p><p>It's quite large, astronomically speaking. Especially when it's at opposition (see next post)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It will be in the south, and is almost impossible to miss. The magnitude is a stunning -2.44 atm and will continue to become brighter and brighter until it reaches opposition. Sirius, the brightest star (besides the sun)&nbsp;in the sky&nbsp;is around -1.44 in magnitude. Another incrediblely&nbsp;bright planet is Venus with -3.89 magnitude however there is hardly any detail to be shown because of the smogy clouds I think (also rises after Jupiter). Oh and btw, Jupiter should look great even at 50X (size and detail). Just play around with your eyepieces and see which has the overall best view. <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>Yes indeed, almost due south just before dawn.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;As far as size goes, Jupiter being so big should look decent through my scope or just vrey small like saturn? I have never seen jupiter in my life. thanks all <br /> Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>I can easily make out Jupiter as a tiny disk in my Canon 10x30 IS binoculars, as well as all four of the Galilean moons. &nbsp;With 100x magnification, you ought to be able to see at least a couple of the equatorial belts and maybe the Great Red Spot (which is really sort of pink, not red).&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I can easily make out Jupiter as a tiny disk in my Canon 10x30 IS binoculars, as well as all four of the Galilean moons. &nbsp;With 100x magnification, you ought to be able to see at least a couple of the equatorial belts and maybe the Great Red Spot (which is really sort of pink, not red).&nbsp; <br />Posted by crazyeddie</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;Would Saturn look bigger through a telescope a 1/2" smaller than mine, but a longer focal length and higher ratio?(specs below of scope in question). again Mine is 114mm 1000mm 7.9F/R <-- But has a 2x built in barlow, which I beleive this newer one doesnt, which i think would actually help by not having it..</p><table border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="help" align="right" valign="top"><span class="spec">OPTICAL DESIGN</span> www.celestron.com/c2/images/b_q.gif" alt="" align="absMiddle" />

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;Would Saturn look bigger through a telescope a 1/2" smaller than mine, but a longer focal length and higher ratio?<br /> Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>Yes, but it would probably appear dimmer. &nbsp;If you are looking for a <span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span">significant </span>performance jump, you should go to a 6" or 8" aperture reflector.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts