Hubble Repair (STS-125) Mission Thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.

First batch of 39 screws removed OK.

Moving onto the second batch.

Massimino changing bits on Mini power Tool as second batch are a different size. Proceeding smoothly.

Andrew Brown.

Final 16 screws in the final batch being released.

Another snap shot of Mike Massimino & Mike Good in EVA 4.
MikeMassiminoMikeGoodonspacewalk-1.jpg

Andrew Brown.

All screws successfully removed, the fastener plate (containing said screws) & cover have all been removed, exposing the failed circuitry on STIS.

It will shortly be removed & replaced.

Andrew Brown.

N

newsartist

They are closing out and stowing the tools.

The insulation blanket job has been put off until tomorrow's EVA, if time allows.

M

MeteorWayne

Yep, a tough day in space. Still, if the STIS recovery is sucessful, it's a good day. They are now down to the lower priority tasks, the only high priority item tomorrow is the battery replacement, and the other major task for tomorrow will hopefully be accomplished. The insulation is great if there's time.

Good aliveness test reported on STIS by Hubble Ground Control.

Looks like the repair has been successful.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

That's good news....it means the extrordinary effort for today was worth it. :)

S

shuttle2moon

Those blankets on bays 7 and 8 are beat up really bad-mico metaors cause that? seems excessive for that...

M

MeteorWayne

In your opinion that is, I guess. They've been up there for almost 20 years.

S

shuttle2moon

Good point MW-20 years is a long time. That also brings up a really good point-this mission reminds me of working on an antique old car-bolts stick, things have to be muscled, etc. This misson is one I'll remember for a long time. The team is working together very very well.

E

earth_bound_misfit

Is it just me or does Mike Massimino remind anyone else of Robert Barone from Everyone loves Raymond? :D
blogsquare_getback_tvcops_everybodyraymond.jpg

T

Testing

Good morning all,
Off to work soon and that means no NASATV.
Comentary thru the day regarding EVA-5 progress would be apreciated.

M

MeteorWayne

Sorry, got to this thread late. They are in process of unbolting the old battery pack.

S

silylene

shuttle2moon":9ckojx86 said:
Those blankets on bays 7 and 8 are beat up really bad-mico metaors cause that? seems excessive for that...

Does anyone have a good picture of the putative micrometeor damage on the blankets? I am curious what it looks like. Or any high resolution photo of the body of the Hubble, which has a resolution sufficient to show wear and tear from micrometeor impacts over the last 20 yrs?

M

MeteorWayne

New Battery Pack alive and well, swapout successful, now closing the bay doors.

Edit: Doors closed, on to the FGS (Fine Guidance Sensor) replacement....

S

shuttle2moon

Does anyone else think that Drew has all the luck? MM can't catch a break, and Drew flies through his tasks...He and John have kicked butt this misson. But, I wonder if drew would have had the strength to break that handrail the other day....

I'd be willing to bet that drew will be able to do at LEAST one full install of the NOBL. From what I know of drew, he will want to do a full install of all the NOBLS...he is such a keaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts