Hubble Repair (STS-125) Mission Thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rubicondsrv

decepticon":acrt6mdp said:
Its great to be back! WHoa!

4 years since last post.
I would suggest reading the comunity guidelines, there have been several changes in the last four years.

you may also find the banned user list interesting

M

MeteorWayne

Fine Guidanse Sensor installed, closing the doors.

There may be enough time left to get all 3 NOBL (New Outer Blanket Layer ) tasks completed!

M

MeteorWayne

FGS passed aliveness tests, so it's on to installing all 3 NOBLs, beginning with Bay 5 as planned for today, then going back for bays 7 and 8. I believe bay 7 was the one scheduled for yesterday.

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, the 3 NOBLs are the last items, if they can get the one that had to be dropped yesterday due to the time problems, it would be a nearly 98% successful mission. (Only the ACS hi res channel which could not be recovered depite the good install of the repair).

They have a hard time to begin final cleanup, so that will be the limiting factor on the final NOBL install. I haven't been able to tie that to an EDT time yet, I'm sure Dan will update us on that soon.

M

MeteorWayne

BTW, spectacular live coverage of the removal of the old protective layer. Didn't look as bad as I thought. Hope the images of bays 7 and 8 that shuttle2moon mentioned are as good.

S

shuttle2moon

I hope so too ...

GO DREW! he can do it-I have not seen such drive before-he and John were bumping gloves (hi 5ing) and everything on their last walk...

T

Testing

Now that Shuttle Guy has no reason to come to Edwards I guess I will have to go to Florida to have a beer with him.

S

shuttle2moon

People wanted a pic of the NOBL. This is what I found. Mods, resizing might be a good thing here...

th_nobl.jpg

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx. Any idea of which bay is shown in the image?
AFAIK, we can't resize it; do you have a link to the original image?

S

shuttle2moon

According to NASA's blog they did it!!! All NOBLS installed.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shutt ... index.html

We now are 5 hours, 26 minutes into today's spacewalk.

Grunsfeld and Feustel have successfully completed the New Outer Blanket Layer installation on the telescope's bay 5, bay 8 and bay 7 doors.

The spacewalkers will do some clean up work before closing up the telescope for good.

Hubble' science observations are expected to resume approximately three weeks after the shuttle departs.

Edit-I guess they did not get bay 5 done. But that is it.

M

MeteorWayne

All SM4 tasks are completed, final cleanup of the payload bay underway.

A superb job, by a superb team (and I don't mean only the 7 in space, I also mean the hundreds or thousands of others on the ground that made it happen)

Wayne

M

MeteorWayne

Some thoughtful and touching words right before they ingress into the airlock.

I won't attempt to write them down, since I'd mess them up. I'm sure the transcripts will show up somewhere....

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, whoever runs across it first, post a link or the transcript....

B

bobble_bob

So apart from the high-res channel on the wide-field camera, is everything else installed working? (as of now, i know they have to go through functional testing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts