Hypothetical forms of matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vogon13

Allthough I have been fascinated with antimatter since Star Trek TOS, over time I've wonder about other alternate forms of matter.<br /><br />Could we imagine a form of matter , let's call it retro-matter, that when combined with regular matter produces (drum roll, please) ---nothing--- , no zap, flash, or bang, no gamma rays, just nothing.<br /><br />And then another substance, let's call it retro-antimatter that when added to antimatter produces, you guessed it , ---nothing---.<br /><br />Now, what happens when you mix retro-matter and retro-antimatter??? This is where my imagination fails me, and I start thinking the really weird stuff (like this isn't). So I thought I'd let SDC chew on this idea.<br /><br />Any takers? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

M

mott

thats the reason we go to space. to find answers to questions we havnt asked yet.

O

odysseus145

"when combined with regular matter produces (drum roll, please) ---nothing--- , no zap, flash, or bang, no gamma rays, just nothing. "<br /><br />That would violate the conservation of mass and energy, so its not possible. But there are at least to forms of matter beyond the usual four. I believe they are fermion condensates and bose-einstein condensates. Both of which occur only in laboratory conditions. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

newtonian

eburacum45 - Thank you for the link.<br /><br />And then there are tachyons.<br /><br />See the same source:<br /><br />http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/T/tachyon.html<br />Tachyons would be a hypothetical form of matter which always travels faster than light.<br /><br />You all - I believe the law of conservation of matter and energy holds true.<br /><br />I.e. something does not ever actually come from nothing, though virtual particles in the vacuum of space appear to do so.

V

vogon13

Could I get you to speculate on the existence and properties of negative antimatter, or exotic antimatter?<br /><br />Suspect if there ever was much negative matter in the universe it's gone now since it proably encountered matter long ago, but with antimatter being very rare in our universe, would negative antimatter (if it ever existed) be around somewhere? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts