IceCube might've caught 7 exotic 'ghost particles' as they pierced through Earth

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
"Neutrinos are charge-less and nearly mass-less particles that blast through the cosmos at speeds approaching that of light. Oddly enough, because of those parameters, neutrinos barely interact with anything."

That would be a reason why photons would barely interact with anything. Which they do, and fairly vigorously sometimes.

Neutrinos are mainly prone to weak-field interactions, which opportunities they rarely stumble on, and to a teeny extent, gravitational fields.

Reactions: Torbjorn Larsson
The 1 in 3.5 million likelihood is a more than 5 sigma detection! So it is indeed confirmation of astrophysical and not only solar (or other sources) neutrinos.

Speaking of which, the 2024 eROSITA X-ray sky survey cosmology paper has set a tightest limit on total neutrino mass. And disfavor the inverted mass hierarchy at 2 sigma. (This potentially means mass oscillating neutrinos can break the universe matter/antimatter asymmetry by leptogenesis. It is favored by 2 sigma - at normal mass ordering - by the NOvA neutrino experiment.)

Now if we can only figure out a way to detect the cosmological neutrino background...

Neutrinos are mainly prone to weak-field interactions, which opportunities they rarely stumble on, and to a teeny extent, gravitational fields.
Indeed. I have seen a cosmological paper study the 0.2 % by mass neutrino "dark matter" potential component - not quite the remaining massier ("cold") dark matter - to conclude that we can safely ignore it for first order effects. It smears weak lensing observations a bit, but not significantly so.

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Speaking of which, the 2024 eROSITA X-ray sky survey cosmology paper has set a tightest limit on total neutrino mass. And disfavor the inverted mass hierarchy at 2 sigma. (This potentially means mass oscillating neutrinos can break the universe matter/antimatter asymmetry by leptogenesis. It is favored by 2 sigma - at normal mass ordering - by the NOvA neutrino experiment.)
Thanks for the observations Torbjorn. Could you explain the bolded portion for me?

I find particle physics absolutely fascinating but much of it is still ostensibly black magic to me and my lack of study in the field. Please help, o wise one.

Latest posts