Images of Mars

Page 36 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

2P157261985ESFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157262347ESFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157348273ESFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157349409ESFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157348656ESFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157172659EFFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

New Heat Shield image<br /><br />1P157576735EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P157576735EFFL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P157576735EFFL5M1.7 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

F

fortytwo

I'm sorry, but this is very funny to me. Seeing a picture of a spring laying on the surface of Mars seems to convey something very poetic. Makes me proud to be an American! (No sarcasm intended)

F

fortytwo

I'd also like to put a "Shout Out" to Space.com for hosting all these images. The space and bandwidth they must consume has got to be tremendous. Thank you very much!

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">Seeing a picture of a spring laying on the surface of Mars seems to convey something very poetic.<font color="white"><br /><br />Ha.<br /><br />Looking at the first close-up of the heat shield did expose the first sign of "Spring" on Mars. <br /><br /><font color="orange">"Shout Out" to Space.com for hosting all these images. The space and bandwidth they must <br />consume has got to be tremendous. Thank you very much! <font color="white"><br /><br />Ditto..... <br /></font></font></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

The last dozen or so images I processed were overly saturated, JPL filters are used at the extreme end <br />to extract all the information out of its images as they can. So in most cases we have to tone it down a bit.<br /> I had to darken, add contrast to them and change the hue, (if there not L4,L5,L6 filter images).<br /><br />Here are some images I had to unsaturated more fat than normal to the image after processing. <br />The discoloration of the rocks could mean that the images were taken on a windswept hill or one <br />exposed to solar radiation for eons, UV etc. or some form of lichen (moss). By the build-up of sand around<br /> the rocks I would guess that it is a windswept hill causing the discoloration. <br /><br />This leads to my next question, it takes a lot of energy to move sand, even fine grain soil, in the low<br /> atmosphere of Mars. Was the atmosphere on Mars much denser in the recent past than predicted?<br /><br /><br />2P157170898EFFAL5M1.1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157171209EFFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157173690EFFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P157611103ESFAL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Post deleted by rlb2 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

R

rlb2

E

exoscientist

Curious are the dark, smooth inclusions apparent in the rock. These might be similar to the smooth, glassy inclusions seen in Humphrey and Mazatzal rocks by Spirit.<br /> Alternatively, they could be examples of sedimentary films seen at the Opportunity site:<br /><br />From: rgregorycl...@yahoo.com (Robert Clark)<br />Newsgroups: sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology,sci.geo.mineralogy,sci.bio.misc<br />Subject: Sedimentary films at Opportunity site.<br />Date: 18 Mar 2004 16:26:04 -0800<br />http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.astro/msg/11a829ece45426b7<br /><br /><br /> Clays perhaps?<br /><br /><br /> Bob Clark <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">they could be examples of sedimentary films seen at the Opportunity site<font color="white"><br /><br />Good observation. There should be some correlation with some of the rocks that we find from the <br />two sites because of there locations close to the Martian equator and your observation may be<br /> another one look at. <br /><br />The way the coarse and fine grain material are mixed together, rounded and sharp edge material,<br /> should point to a sedimentary type mixture. <br /><br />The "Wishbone" rock may be yet another argument for lakes, rivers or oceans on Mars. What I would <br />like to see is confirmation of larger amounts of carbononates in that mixture from the spectra <br />findings. That would indeed make it different than all the rest of the rocks they have observed.<br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Here are some up to date images from our friends at Mars Express. I played with it a bit to sharpen the <br />images and to get them to fit on this board.<br /><br />http://www.esa.int/export/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/<br /><br /><font color="orange">This Mars Express image shows Reull Vallis, an outflow channel located at about latitude 42° <br />South and longitude 102° East. The image was taken with a ground resolution of about 21 metres <br />per pixel during Mars Express orbit 451 on 29 May 2004.<font color="white"> <br /><br />142-121104-0451-6-3d-01-Reu</font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

R

rlb2

R

rlb2

Status
Not open for further replies.