International Fund for Space Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zigi_24

Since NASA, ESA, Russian agency and other are unefficient in creating a successful human space program, maybe we should create a Fund where anyone could donate as much money someone wants. Fund would then give money to private corporations or space agencies to give them the upper-hand since goverments are unable to do that. If year by year Fund become more popular, it could gather 100B $ or more annually, a lot bigger sum that is currently invested in Space Program. It could become part of UN, like for example UNESCO is today.

What do you think?

V

Valcan

zigi_24":9zh94j2g said:
Since NASA, ESA, Russian agency and other are unefficient in creating a successful human space program, maybe we should create a Fund where anyone could donate as much money someone wants. Fund would then give money to private corporations or space agencies to give them the upper-hand since goverments are unable to do that. If year by year Fund become more popular, it could gather 100B $ or more annually, a lot bigger sum that is currently invested in Space Program. It could become part of UN, like for example UNESCO is today.

What do you think?

While i like the idea of supporting space the realities of what you propose get in the way.

First off i hate the UN. Its probably the most corrupt institution man has ever innitiated...and we've started alot. It just "loses" billions every year from food programs and other development programs. UN peace keepers have had problems of using the food given to them to distribute as a "food for sex program" as i heard it once called. This isnt just a squad or so (6 to 10 men usually) were talking about entire units with there commanding officers. Know what happens to them? Nothing they get sent home...

Basically its just to corrupt. Plus most countries dont have a space program worthy of the name what about them?

While i like the idea of a a global fund for space it would need a different governing body.

But i like the idea, it just needs a different governing body.

O

orionrider

The ISS is already funded in a similar way. In fact, most space missions are already international in nature.
There is a reason why President Obama placed international cooperation at the top of his space policy ;)

The trick is to please everyone: who decides on the science, the destination, where the hardware is manufactured, etc.

And then, there is the problem of national pride, which can be very acute, especially in the US. Many Americans think America does it all better, but the world has changed. US rockets use Russian engines, Japanese probes roam the solar system and many 'American' parts are in fact proudly made in China. My favorite: the next big thing in space propulsion (VASIMR) could come from Costa-Rica! :lol:

Space expertise is spread among many nations and businesses, each holding part of the solution.

V

Valcan

orionrider":s82ove2q said:
The ISS is already funded in a similar way. In fact, most space missions are already international in nature.
There is a reason why President Obama placed international cooperation at the top of his space policy ;)

The trick is to please everyone: who decides on the science, the destination, where the hardware is manufactured, etc.

And then, there is the problem of national pride, which can be very acute, especially in the US. Many Americans think America does it all better, but the world has changed. US rockets use Russian engines, Japanese probes roam the solar system and many 'American' parts are in fact proudly made in China. My favorite: the next big thing in space propulsion (VASIMR) could come from Costa-Rica! :lol:

Space expertise is spread among many nations and businesses, each holding part of the solution.

Wasnt he a Nasa astronaut though? See we win. But have to say one of the reasons our rockets are made in russia was because of the idea of hey lets always do it cheaper.

I believe the last rockets made in america for Launches were both from spaceX. So if you take away the possiblity of buying them here then you dont get any.

Anyways many, many americans dont like the fact that so much is made overseas. Some things OK but not so much as now.

H

High_Evolutionary

zigi_24":1q17k8oo said:

What do you think?
I also agree this could generate huge amounts of funds for hsc. I mentioned here on SPA once the possibility of a national/international lottery. It could have a 50/50 split(half to hsc and the other to the winner(s)). Maybe a 40/60 split. People love to gamble, hey gamble on mankinds future!

E

EarthlingX

zigi_24":i10blx72 said:

What do you think?
I like it and, as orionrider wrote, something is already being done about it, but :

http://www.spaceref.com : Houston Leaders: Obama "United Nations" NASA Space Plan Threatens National Security/Economy

They are not really interested in space, more about their butts, and protecting home economy is not always beneficial, as we can see on ITAR example, and also many other.

Btw, who owns GM lately ? Goldman Sachs ? Morgan Stanley ? Lehman Brothers ? USA treasury bonds ?

Russia had communism with central planning, but it didn't work, nor will this in the long run.

Answer is technology development to get back competitive edge, and that is not decided by politicians, but market. Cooperation makes it possible to specialize on what you are doing the best, instead of being average all over the board.

Chinese, Iran, seem to understand that, that's why they are making so many new scientists, engineers and such, and USA is currently lagging, even with imports of engineers and scientists from India and such, with EU hardly keeping pace, both still in the dreams about their unchallenged technical position.

If you want to see who is the real space power, count the launches.

O

orionrider

EarthlingX":wbpxm4f7 said:
Chinese, Iran, seem to understand that, that's why they are making so many new scientists, engineers and such,

This is creepy. China is currently investing huge amounts in schools, universities, research labs, etc. All controlled by the State. If those brand new Chinese PHd's are just half as good as ours, we're doomed!

It is so difficult to motivate our spoiled kids to learn, especially math and physics. But for Chinese boys and girls living in poverty, becoming an engineer is worth all the efforts.

E

EarthlingX

orionrider":8kzncmaa said:
EarthlingX":8kzncmaa said:
Chinese, Iran, seem to understand that, that's why they are making so many new scientists, engineers and such,

This is creepy. China is currently investing huge amounts in schools, universities, research labs, etc. All controlled by the State. If those brand new Chinese PHd's are just half as good as ours, we're doomed!

It is so difficult to motivate our spoiled kids to learn, especially math and physics. But for Chinese boys and girls living in poverty, becoming an engineer is worth all the efforts.
Yes. My only hope is, that with more education you also gain wider view and are less inclined to believe propaganda, since you are able to get to conclusions based on available evidence, which can in case of China also be a problem, as Google recently experienced.
Fossils leading country will eventually go, and i have a hope for a new generation after them.
With Iran there is another thing about their scientists - a very big part of them does nuclear physics .. Fears like this make openness important, since we fear what we don't know, and i find curiosity better than hate.
World is getting smaller every day, and crowd bigger and better armed. We need to go, before we cut each other throats, just because we are too close. You know, like family, nice to have on a visit, but a bit of relief after a week ;)
We need space, everyone of us.

V

Valcan

orionrider":334lxucr said:
EarthlingX":334lxucr said:

LOL not so much it maybe for a few but not most.

In china if you get bad grades it means a few things.
A) Your poor performance reflects negatively on your parents and family you bring Shame to everyone and your treated with less respect and it could hurt your family in the long run. Its a cultural thing in most Asian countries.
B) Your dad beats the crap out of you either physicaly or verbaly berates you to succed or your a disgrace to the family etc.
C) Your ******** immediate liquidation.....( Just kidding :lol: )

But ive heard stories from plenty of people who have either lived in asia and a few from china.

Basicaly in america children are expected to "have fun make friends!!!!, try hard but its ok if you cant do it! we always love you!" So if all of that is true and failing doesnt matter why try?

But its a old question of "why are those successful at sports, life, accedemics, etc happier than those who arent?" Here in america people started to think if you just be positive everything will be fantastic!!!

No thats not realistic. We should teach kids what the real world is like and prepare them for the future. Thats what a education is, not to try to shield them from reality. All that does is hurt them in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts