Is the Universe a giant hologram?

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R1

<p><font size="2">A&nbsp;singularity black hole&nbsp;seems to be&nbsp;in such an extremely altered spacetime...</font></p><p><font size="2">so extremely, that&nbsp;I am not sure if I am able to explain it or word it properly, but I can&nbsp;try.</font></p><p><font size="2">Not only is space in its proximity so different, but so is time.&nbsp; Time in the&nbsp;altered space&nbsp;of the singularity is so extremely slow in its flow if it even flows at all.&nbsp; This is such a highly altered state of time that over the many earth years life has been on earth, time in the altered space of a singularity hole should appear to us as hardly passed if at all.&nbsp; This puts the singularity in our past, given the large amount of time that time has passed on planet earth.</font></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><font size="2">(For me, the current confusion is with the descriptions I am learning of a string as comparable to an event horizon line, whether loose or connected, string line or string loop.&nbsp; So a differentiation came about to distinguish this from a cosmological singularity hole.&nbsp;) </font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Absolutely, I'm enamoured of the implications more than the abstract foundations of the principle, itself, and looking way beyond the origional&nbsp;correspondance.&nbsp; Then again, that abstraction plays right into it.&nbsp; There is this "E=mc^2"&nbsp; type of elegance to it, in principle.&nbsp; So what if it's an ant trying to lift an elephant.&nbsp; "AdSn = CFTn-1" does fit well on a T-shirt. <br />Posted by SHU</DIV></p><p>Yes, but the problem is that many think "AdSn=CFTn-1" when they should be thinking "AdSn=CFTn-1 <strong>?</strong>"</p><p>It is an ant trying to lift the elephant, or is it a virtual ant ?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Absolutely, I'm enamoured of the implications more than the abstract foundations of the principle, itself, and looking way beyond the origional&nbsp;correspondance.&nbsp; Then again, that abstraction plays right into it.&nbsp; There is this "E=mc^2"&nbsp; type of elegance to it, in principle.&nbsp; So what if it's an ant trying to lift an elephant.&nbsp; "AdSn = CFTn-1" does fit well on a T-shirt. <br />Posted by SHU</DIV></p><p>Yes, but the problem is that many think "AdSn=CFTn-1" when they should be thinking "AdSn=CFTn-1 <strong>?</strong>"</p><p>It is an ant trying to lift the elephant, or is it a virtual ant ?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

supn

Would like to bump this topic.

Quantum physical weirdness, the edginess of the information horizon, and cultural artifacts pertaining to that, hypothesize our reality as a hologram.

Why is there a total lack of images of Earth at all?

Whether the universe outside the hologram is also virtual, is another question.

M

MeteorWayne

"Why is there a total lack of images of Earth at all?"

Huh? We have images of earh taken constantly. I have no idea what you are talking about....

S

SpeedFreek

supn":2nyhkysv said:
Quantum physical weirdness, the edginess of the information horizon, and cultural artifacts pertaining to that, hypothesize our reality as a hologram.

It is quantum gravity and string theory that form the basis of the holographic principle, and the principle resolves the black hole information paradox. What have cultural artifacts got to do with it?

This image of Earth was taken from Apollo 17 - what's your point?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_E ... llo_17.jpg

S

supn

SpeedFreek":1g0qumqd said:
supn":1g0qumqd said:

It is quantum gravity and string theory that form the basis of the holographic principle, and the principle resolves the black hole information paradox. What have cultural artifacts got to do with it?

Why do certain people on forums always address you like they're drunken police officers. :)

I'll rephrase. There are scientific arguments for the holographic nature of the reality we live in. I see this quite literally: something happened to Earth, and the planet was replaced by a hologram. Our subatomic experiments stumbled upon evidence for that.

Under the assumption that Hollywood is a propaganda instrument, people in charge know this and fictionalized it in the movie the Matrix.

The lack of pictures of Earth, imo, could also be evidence for that, supposing complicity of course.

M

MeteorWayne

supn":2rwyudez said:
MeteorWayne":2rwyudez said:
"Why is there a total lack of images of Earth at all?"

Huh? We have images of earh taken constantly.

Like these you mean?

NASA releases new images of Earth

Or these that are taken of the whole disk every 3 hours...

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastfull.html

Or these that are taken every 15 minutes:

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html

So your statement that "The lack of pictures of Earth, imo, could also be evidence for that, supposing complicity of course"

makes absolutely no sense.

C

CommonMan

supn":3hk65pye said:
SpeedFreek":3hk65pye said:
supn":3hk65pye said:

Why do certain people on forums always address you like they're drunken police officers. :)

I'll rephrase. There are scientific arguments for the holographic nature of the reality we live in. I see this quite literally: something happened to Earth, and the planet was replaced by a hologram. Our subatomic experiments stumbled upon evidence for that.

Under the assumption that Hollywood is a propaganda instrument, people in charge know this and fictionalized it in the movie the Matrix.

The lack of pictures of Earth, imo, could also be evidence for that, supposing complicity of course.

GOOD GRIEF! The Earth is a HOLOGRAM? Please reboot and put me back a billionair, and single!

S

supn

Quantum physics tells us that would create distress all around you, as you are a small part of an implicate, albeit holographic order. Don't be so egocentric! :)

S

SpeedFreek

supn":90pp0agu said:
Excuse me sir, but you seem to be acting strangely, may I ask you to breathe into this bag so I can check to see if you are posting whilst intoxicated?

Ah I see now, sir. Your understanding of the holographic principle is quite literally that something happened to the Earth and it was replaced by a hologram. Well, I would most politely request that you allow me the indulgence of pointing out that your understanding is completely wrong. There have been absolutely no subatomic experiments that stumbled upon evidence that something happened to the Earth and it was replaced by a hologram. I am ever so sorry to have to break the news to you like this, please sit down and take a moment to compose yourself.

As has been pointed out, we take photos of it every day. :)

M

MeteorWayne

I think this thread has degenerated to the point where it no longer belongs in Physics :( :roll:

N

netarch

supn":bywwtnk9 said:
Quantum physics tells us that would create distress all around you, as you are a small part of an implicate, albeit holographic order. Don't be so egocentric! :)

Well, you know the old saying: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Can you at least post some links to these experiments you refer to as evidence of your contention that the earth was destroyed and replaced by a hologram?

And a final question: Just who (or what?) was it that destroyed the original earth in the experiment you mentioned? Humans, or some other sapient species? "Waiting For The Galactic Bus", anyone?

S

supn

You guys all drunk or what?

The thread is about the question whether the universe might be a hologram. I'm saying there are indications from scientific measurement as well as cultural tradition that defend this proposition. Link

Please don't put words into my mouth. For each one to make up his mind.

C

CommonMan

supn":1p7sl3by said:

The thread is about the question whether the universe might be a hologram. I'm saying there are indications from scientific measurement as well as cultural tradition that defend this proposition. Link

I went to the link and read it. I can see where you are comming from now, but this dosn't mean that its a fact. When it comes to quantum physics anything might be possible. I think with more study of the quantum world we will understand more. As for now I will need to be drunk to belive it myself right now.
By the way, is anyone else having a problem with our site? When I went to the link and came back to post a reply, it showed I was still logged on, but the quote button was gone and I had to log in again to post. This has happened a few other times lately. Is it just my computer or is it normal?

S

SpeedFreek

supn":bfn0v97y said:

We didn't put these words into your mouth, you said them yourself:

supn":bfn0v97y said:
None of the links you have posted are saying that something happened to the Earth and that it was replaced by a hologram.

S

SpeedFreek

CommonMan":1ygp2jy3 said:
By the way, is anyone else having a problem with our site? When I went to the link and came back to post a reply, it showed I was still logged on, but the quote button was gone and I had to log in again to post. This has happened a few other times lately. Is it just my computer or is it normal?

It's a problem with the site, that has been present since they changed the forum software, for me, at least. It always says I am logged in at the top, but I have to log in to the forums to post, at least once a day, and I have checked the "remember me" box.
:|

Y

yevaud

/Mod Hat On

Everyone, please knock off the accusations of being drunk while posting, thanks.

That being said, this topic is perilously close to being moved to the Unexplained.

/Mod Hat Off

S

sonhouse

So now it's 9 months later, October 7, 2009. Has anyone heard of any recent updates of this controversial theory?

F

Fallingstar1971

Why dont you just look in the mirror?

If the Universe IS a giant hologram, and you exist as a part of this hologram, then you should contain the sum of the entire image IN YOU. So if you want more images of whatever, just look in the mirror

Star

J

Jeters_Boy

&quot;The Holographic Universe&quot; by Michael Talbot (1991)

I was flipping through "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot today in a bookstore and was intrigued by the book's main thesis. It was written in 1991, however, and was curious as to whether scientific research over the last 19 years has either confirmed or contradicted Talbot's theory.

A short summary of Talbot's theory can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts