ISS Expedition 18 crew Evac'd to Soyuz due to debris threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

The crew is now in Soyuz prepared to depart in case of in impact. The debris in question if from PAM-D.

The conjunction, which was discovered late due to compueter processing issues, came too late to allow movement of the ISS>

More details as I find them

M

MeteorWayne

Threat has passed, the crew is now beginning the process to reenter the ISS.

M

MeteorWayne

Some news from just before the non-event:

Station Crew Takes Precautionary Measures Due to Space Debris

International Space Station Expedition 18 crew members are taking precautionary measures due to space debris that has been determined to be within the range where a collision is possible. News of the close approach came too late for flight controllers to coordinate an avoidance maneuver. A portion of a spent satellite motor is within the distance of the station's debris avoidance maneuver requirement "box."

Crew members are entering their Soyuz TMA-13 capsule and soft-locking the hatches, in case the debris should affect the space station and they are required to undock. The closure of the hatches ensures the safety of the crew and the ability to quickly depart the station in the unlikely event the debris collided with the station causing a depressurization.

The time of closest approach of the debris to the station is 12:39 p.m. EDT. Once the object is clear of the station, the crew will exit the Soyuz and reopen the hatches.

The crew will be in the Soyuz from 12:35-12:45 p.m. EDT. They will remain in the Soyuz until the debris risk has passed. Moving the crew into the Soyuz is a precaution, as the probability of impact is low. The crew is currently putting space station into an unmanned configuration, including several interior station hatches.

B

bobble_bob

This is "breaking news" on Sky News

"The crew of the International Space Station were forced to flee from a debris storm that threatened to batter them, Nasa has revealed"

I didnt take it seriously. I presume its a none event. Anyone familar with Sky News will know they like to overexaggerate abit

M

MeteorWayne

Well, it was serious enough for them to evac to the Soyuz...I don't think that has happened too often in the life of the ISS.

B

bobble_bob

"a threat to the ISS and the shuttle" - wrong, unless the debris was heading to Florida

"the crew have survived" - Well there wasnt a very serious risk of death ffs

More Sky headlines

B

bobble_bob

MeteorWayne":34ca9jxi said:
Well, it was serious enough for them to evac to the Soyuz...I don't think that has happened too often in the life of the ISS.

Seems that was due to the late detection of it than anything. Better safe than sorry but probably no real risk

T

tanstaafl76

You can bet they were sweating a bit sitting that Soyuz though. It's only a matter of time before orbital space debris causes an accident that results in the loss of human life, doesn't seem like any of the space agencies are forwarding much in the way of ideas to deal with it other than improved detection?

B

bobble_bob

tanstaafl76":6txb0hdo said:
You can bet they were sweating a bit sitting that Soyuz though. It's only a matter of time before orbital space debris causes an accident that results in the loss of human life, doesn't seem like any of the space agencies are forwarding much in the way of ideas to deal with it other than improved detection?

Im guessing any that is up there and which they have lost contact with for whatever reason they cant do anything about it. Blasting it will only create more MMOD so early detection is the only cause of action

M

MeteorWayne

bobble_bob":1pyyoqr2 said:
"a threat to the ISS and the shuttle" - wrong, unless the debris was heading to Florida

More Sky headlines

ROFL, I see what you mean. By any chance is this a Rupert Murdoch (i.e. Fox) organization?

R

rubicondsrv

MeteorWayne":2eszbldx said:
bobble_bob":2eszbldx said:

More Sky headlines

ROFL, I see what you mean. By any chance is this a Rupert Murdoch (i.e. Fox) organization?
yes

N

newtons_laws

MeteorWayne":3fbfnkn1 said:
bobble_bob":3fbfnkn1 said:

More Sky headlines

Yes it is. However did you guess? :lol:

B

bobble_bob

Cant beat some of the headlines from yesterdays failed launch attempt too. Stating that the shuttle would of exploded if it had launched with the leak. While strictly speaking it may be true, you could say the same if they tried to launch with a great big hole in the side of the ET.

The point is they have sensors meaning it would have never got off the pad with the leak in the first place. Sensational headlines sell tho despite what the truth may be

M

MeteorWayne

It's nice to know you have crappy headline generators just as we do here on the other side of the pond... :)

E

erioladastra

bobble_bob":1fva5yy2 said:
This is "breaking news" on Sky News

"The crew of the International Space Station were forced to flee from a debris storm that threatened to batter them, Nasa has revealed"

I didnt take it seriously. I presume its a none event. Anyone familar with Sky News will know they like to overexaggerate abit

No it was real. The probility was high enough to take action, however the noise in the data meant it did not meet our "valid" threshold, so to be conservative we put the crew in the Soyuz and closed the hatches.

C

CommonMan

There will be more and more debris with every launch we make into space. Is there any plans on how to handle this problem? Maybe build some sort of field or barrier anound the station, or equip it with thrusters to move it if necessary?

N

nimbus

It's mentionned here or in the article that the station has thrusters, but the debris was spotted too late for those to be a safe enough solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.