ISS visable from Europe this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flynn

Europe set for perfect views of ISS<br /><br /> <br />13 June 2006<br />Conditions in Europe are set to be ideal for perfect views of the International Space Station (ISS) as it passes overhead up to four times a night this coming weekend.<br /> <br />Provided you know in which direction to look, spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might seem. Although the ISS travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second, it is just 400 km above our heads – and thanks to its large solar panels it is one of the brightest objects in the night sky, making it fairly easy to spot from when it rises above the horizon in a westerly direction, until it sets towards the East. <br /><br />See bottom of link for viewing times.<br /><br /><br />http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMA64AATME_index_0.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

F

flynn

Excellent, I'll keep my fingers crossed for clear skies for you then. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

S

subzero788

"...thanks to its large solar panels it is one of the brightest objects in the night sky"<br /><br />I suppose once it's completed the ISS even brighter. With 4 of those huge US solar panels, it should make quite a sight!

C

CalliArcale

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>And, ...there is one pass listed when I will be camped out in some dark hills.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />The ISS is so bright that it is even plainly visible from brightly-lit cities! It often outshines Venus. It should be a spectacular sight. Okay, so it'll really only be a really bright dot gliding across the sky, but there's something very different about watching satellites compared to watching airplanes. I think it's the smoothness of their trajectory that makes them so special. They're coasting in space, so they move perfectly evenly. It's very beautiful, and even more interesting when you think about the people up there. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

F

flynn

Newsartist, How'd it go? Was cloudy around here pretty much all weekend. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.