Jupiter as a star simulation program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hansolo0

Hey , I've always wondered what the sky would look like if Jupiter became a star ala 2010? I know Jupiter is too small in reality, but I've always wondered if we would have night anymore or if only Jupiter did become a star and was out it would be bright enough to be day? Are there any simulation programs that would do this or does someone here think they would know to a reasonable degree? Would earth's temperature be effected, and if so by much?

G

green_meklar

Earth's temperature would probably become much lower as it was immediately ejected from the Solar System. That is to say, the additional gravity would probably have a much larger effect on the Earth than the additional light would. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>________________</p><p>Repent! Repent! The technological singularity is coming!</p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Hmm. Were Jupiter to ignite - not possible, as pointed out, it hasn't sufficient mass, but we'll assume it could - there would be no change in gravitational force from it. It's mass would be largely the same.<br /><br />It'd be a very bright object in the night sky, and visible during the day, I'd think. But really too far away to truly alter the overall global temperature. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Q

qso1

I agree, but I'm inclined to think there would be a small change in overall temperature but probably not enough to seriously affect life here on earth. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

B

brellis

Reminds me of a wonderful short story by Issac Asimov, called Nightfall. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#ff0000"><em><strong>I'm a recovering optimist - things could be better.</strong></em></font> </p> </div>

G

green_meklar

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Were Jupiter to ignite - not possible, as pointed out, it hasn't sufficient mass, but we'll assume it could - there would be no change in gravitational force from it. It's mass would be largely the same.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I was assuming that it would light up <i>because</i> its mass was increased (which as you said is the only way for it to happen). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>________________</p><p>Repent! Repent! The technological singularity is coming!</p> </div>

W

willpittenger

Well, since you listed 2010 as the date, you must have read the book <i>2010</i> or watched the movie. Clarke solve the problem by having objects turn gases into themselves -- which wieghed more than the gases. This increased the density. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Then that would of course be a different scenario. It'd probably change orbital dynamics, but I doubt it'd eject Earth from the Solar System. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

G

green_meklar

Well, at the very least it would probably kill us all. Although it might depend how big of a star it was. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>________________</p><p>Repent! Repent! The technological singularity is coming!</p> </div>

W

willpittenger

You will also note that <i>2061</i> has Lucifer dieing in 3001. However, <i>3001</i> ignores that. Frankly it is tough to believe <i>3001</i> due to its many inconsistancies with the previous books on which it is based. It just ignores <i>2061</i> and has Bowman and Hal confined to the monolith when <i>2010</i> has them independant. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Yeah, I knew that. I was very, very skeptical when I read Clarke's method. It's beyond Science Fiction, it hares right off into fantasy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

H

hansolo0

Wow , we really got off the point here. I'm not interested to know if it's sci-fi or not, I know it is sci-fi. I just want to know what the 'night' sky would look like, if the new Jupiter star would be bright enough to eliminate night or we'd have some sort of twilight, and if there is a simulation program out there. I'm saying if Jupiter at it's current size ignited somehow to become a star, what would happen to night and day and temperatures?

Y

yevaud

Night and Day temps perhaps a degree or so warmer, depending on how active a new star it is (from a few billion miles distant, I don't think it's a lot of solar insolation - possible a couple of extra Watts per/M<sup>2</sup>). <br /><br />Some modification of orbits due to outward light/solar wind pressure from the new star. And it'd be a small, very bright object, visible during the daytime as well as night (it's only a few billion miles away, after all).<br /><br />As to any simulator, no, I don't personally know of one. Anyone else? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts