Live Science has good article on space colonization

Live has this article on space colonization:

Humans could move to this floating asteroid belt colony in the next 15 years, astrophysicist says | Live Science

Now I really don't agree with him because I think we will not need a [housing] colony larger than a Stanford Torus. I keep thinking those huge cylinders will provide too much area for strikes, for hole punching by meteorites. A lot of Stanford Toruses would be less expensive, more personalized, need less of the same kind of atmosphere, and provide less area for strikes and have more, slag-thicker, overall protection from them.

The thing I hate most about an otherwise very good television series, 'The Expanse', is miniscule-gravity asteroid-cave dwelling "Belters." You can do practically anything with the materials of the asteroids, as well as the great masses of the moons beyond them, but live by huge varieties of designs and functions, live safely, and live in numbers into the billions and trillions of peoples atop a great pyramid of life, in or on them. The Biblical Noah's Ark has nothing on the possibilities of manmade islanded / worldlet great Stanford Torus Arks of space. It almost predicts them. Homes in Space, farms in Space, fisheries, forestries, factories, shipbuilding, ships, and more shipping lanes to more places than there are road and other shipping lanes on Earth.

Talk about cloud cities, how about orbital city-states orbiting around the uninhabital planets, every single one of them, with the sole exception of Mercury which would be, sort of, the owned moon of Venus' orbital colonizers. All of them having [designed], and designed gravity, city-states above their surfaces. The solar system having potentially millions of lanes of shipping traffic. Potentially billions of boats and ships in those potentially millions of lanes. So many ships, so much possibility of ship evolution; so many, many, potential avenues of attack on the problem of relativity (it might even be discovered in some way out there -- under that vastness of attack; from the vastness of lanes -- to really be no problem at all to breakout into the larger frontier universe). But it all would have to start with an in-space colony on the way to producing an in-space faring life.

I would prefer the more pragmatic application of such sparkling, visions to the grimy, tenacious human problems of living on Earth in the here and now. My opinion: Humans living permanently in space/around planets is a "Leap centuries into the future", if humanity is fortunate.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
Of course, the possibility of colonizing other celestial bodies is a huge step towards the future. But the future is impossible outside the Earth, if the Earth is clogged with garbage, waste. If we destroy our planet, how can we successfully master the Moon or large asteroids? We can consider some asteroids, for example, as a storage place for waste collected on Earth. The current critical situation with climate change and the death of tens of thousands of animals cannot be underestimated. Yes, the future belongs to space exploration and I am convinced of this every time I look at the developments of various aerospace companies. I really like the environmental directions of Dragonfly, the company’s website has very interesting articles about the prospects for studying problems on Earth from a height of near-earth orbit.

Latest posts